Happy New Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year

As I am sure most of us have, I have looked for ways to ensure that each coming year is better than the last one. Seems that eating Grapes(12) is considered lucky (somewhere) and Eggs are also a 'good luck' food (somewhere). Since I was born in the south Pork, Black-eyed peas and Collards are the go to dish for New Year Day.

My mother raised my 3 brothers and me with the 'tradition' that the house was to be cleaned before New Year Day, as anything that you did on New Year day you would be doing all the coming year. She started early because any child over the age of 5 realizes that even if your room is clean on that one day that didn't mean that you wouldn't have to clean it again all year .... Although she will not admit it I have come to believe that she only told us that so that (with 4 children) she would have a clean house at least one day out of the year . BTW I have never heard that one from anyone else either.

Nevertheless I have always tried to have a spotless house each New Year Day. This year I simply couldn't. Not going to happen. I managed to get a couple of floors mopped and most of the laundry done, but no dusting and after changing the sheets and comforter before going to bed last night I ended up with a couple of loads of additional laundry. Oh No - not a spotless house .

So whats a girl to do? Well ... Lets see. Mom's tradition said that whatever you did on New Year Day you would be doing all year. Hmm, OK then.

I did a load of laundry today (the sheets). I damp mopped the living room and dining room floors earlier and washed my coffee cup. I even went outside and did a little 'work' there. I am cooking the 'southern' New Year day dinner now.

So according to Mom's tradition - I will be able to continue cleaning, cooking and working in my yard all year - right?

Whatever your traditions may be I wish everyone a Happy New Year - best one ever even!

Happy New Year to you too.

Thanks for sharing your traditions. We spent this afternoon driving to the Wichita airport to pick our daughter, who flew here from Winnipeg. She'll be around for about a week. Looking forward to our time together.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
    X