Vitamin D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D

Just curious if people are taking Vitamin D supplements and if so how much.
    I know there is some literature that says that Vitamin D deficiency is somehow linked to MS. It's pretty safe even at doses higher than 5000 I.U. daily.

vitamin D

I've been taking 2000mg. plus I get more along with my multi vits also along with other supplements My neuro. suggested I take 2000 +. During spring/summer months I usually get 1/2 hour+ daily of sunshine. Definitely boost my well-being.
    To me vitamin D is a must have.

Comment

My neuro recommends 1000 mg per day for anyone with MS. I actually take 5000 mg, but, I'm not disciplined enough to take it daily.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

i know i was taking vitamin d im not sure if i am anymore
        thanks for reminding me that is something i need to check out
        peace love happiness
        butter.fly.babe82

Comment

Vit D

I take 4000 IU of vit D3 each day. I take a daily multi vit as well.
          Dx 11/09
          Aubagio since 09/15

Comment

I take 1000iu a day of vit. D3
            God Bless Us All

Comment

VIT D

Thanks for all your responses. I've been taking 5000 I.U. daily but cut down to 1000 I.U. daily. Noticed that my fish oil supplement has 1000 I.U. already in it. Seems like enough especially since my Vit D levels are normal.

Comment

I take2000iu daily. On occasion, I will take 4000iu , but that is when I unintentionally pour too many pills into my hand.
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I am glad to read about all of you MSers who are paying close attention to their vitamin D intake. I have 1 criticism, though ( of course) ! Not 1 person posted their actual blood levels of the vitamin. You all need to get actual levels to know if the supplements are actually effective.
                  For instance, I was at under 25ng/Ml when I started taking 1000i.u. daily, as per my doctors suggestion, and that didn't change very much after continually taking it for 1 year. I began taking 5000i.u. daily and my levels came up to 65 ng/Ml , after 2 additional years! I continue to take 5000i.u. and will not change until I see levels that are 70 or 80! My PCP says that I could cut back to 1000 i.u. daily . But I just won't do it because I don't want to have lower levels. It was very difficult to raise them up !
                  My suggestion is to get your level numbers ! Don't talk about your vitamin D if you don't know your actual numbers ! If you don't believe me. Look at the videos on You tube about vitamin D. Several prominent doctors and scientists discuss the vitamin D deficiency 'epidemic' ! Good luck

Comment

my blood level was 18 ng/mL to begin with,, and after a year I got re tested and my level went up to 36ng/mL .. I am due to get retested in a bout a month.
                    this is where I found the most useful information, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589256_7
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I at one point was taking 5000IU a day but knocked it back to 2000IU after showing signs of too much vitamin D. I know they say you can't OD at 5000IU it takes at least 10k or higher but maybe I was getting it from other sources as well or something. Anyway have been on 2000IU for a couple years now.

Not sure what blood levels are my PCP says they are "very good" but that is about all I can tell you. I take Spring Valley brand D3.
                      Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

My last blood work showed Vitamin D level at 25.
                        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

VIT D

You raise a very good point JerryD. Just looked at my results from October. Looks like I'm at 33. I guess I should aim for a higher level. This is worth mentioning at my neuro appointment in February. Funny how my PCP never said anything about my results probably because 33 is somewhere in the middle but for people with MS we should probably aim for a higher level.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

So, I check back and find that some of you do know your actual numbers ! I also see that some of you accept your doctors' opinion. That's great. As long as you are certain that your levels are optimum for you. I don't trust that regular PCPs now enough about vitamin D and health ! If you are relying on the doctor's words telling you 'your vitamin D is 'ok' ! Why not ask for your actual numbers? Good luck

Comment

I'll be honest Jerry until this thread I never thought to ask what my number was. I will be asking for the number next physical. I will be interested in seeing what it is and what my PCP has been calling "very good" I suppose I could call and ask for my last results.

HMMMMM... So when I first started seeing this doctor he did say I had a D deficiency that was years ago. So I just pulled up my chart online to see if the number was there and my health info still list a D deficiency despite my last two physicals being told my D levels were fine. The levels were not there though so looks like I'll be on the phone tomorrow. Could just be they never updated but now I'm concerned.
                              Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
                              X