Going back to GP for another look, ....things still not right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to GP for another look, ....things still not right

OK, in case anyone has been reading my tales of woe, and for those who need a nutshell.
    October has difficulty peeing, was mis-diagnosed with prostate infection put on Cipro and Flomax.

Felt awful, with many side effects of too many meds, a bad chemistry experiment!
    Referred to Urologist, nice guy, said no prostate issue but said to stick with cipro to prevent future resistance to it. OK, suffered through it. Problems might be caused by MS activity.

Developed constipation issues during Cipro treatment, and had some minor lower back pain, that have persisted and have worsened and abated randomly.

Started Gutsense Hydro-C (Mostly Vitamin C) in AM's and resolved constipation issues. ( I guess they are resolved)
    Still feel crappy upon waking, bloated, lower back pain etc. But get some moderate relief after BM.
    Wonderful! (Sarcastic tone)

Since the back pain isn't resolving, I am going to set an appt and ask for a referral to a gastro-doc, maybe a colonoscopy is in order. As much as I hate the idea, it may be a sensible route at this point.

I don't want to live with this chronic condition. If it's IBS or something, then so be it, but I need an answer. I can't determine on my own if I am having spinal pain from a back injury or flareup of normal back pain, or if it's something internal and having to do with my digestive tract. I have had the very occasional back "tweak" in the past, but they have always resolved in a week or two.

Ironically, everything else seems to be OK. If anyone has a similar experience, I would appreciate a check and opinion. Thanks!

Hope everyone is doing better, and having a good holiday season!

J
    Jim S.

Originally posted by jstinnett View Post
    Since the back pain isn't resolving, I am going to set an appt and ask for a referral to a gastro-doc, maybe a colonoscopy is in order. As much as I hate the idea, it may be a sensible route at this point.

I don't want to live with this chronic condition. If it's IBS or something, then so be it, but I need an answer. I can't determine on my own if I am having spinal pain from a back injury or flareup of normal back pain, or if it's something internal and having to do with my digestive tract. I have had the very occasional back "tweak" in the past, but they have always resolved in a week or two.

Ironically, everything else seems to be OK. If anyone has a similar experience, I would appreciate a check and opinion. Thanks!

Hope everyone is doing better, and having a good holiday season!

J
    Hi J

Don't really have any experience with what you're going through, but wanted to say I'm glad you're going to the doc to get it figured out. Could very well be the back injury thing coming back to nag you. Let's hope that whatever is causing the pain, resolves soon.

Good to know that everything else seems to be OK.

Wishing you a Happy New Year!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi J

Don't really have any experience with what you're going through, but wanted to say I'm glad you're going to the doc to get it figured out. Could very well be the back injury thing coming back to nag you. Let's hope that whatever is causing the pain, resolves soon.

Good to know that everything else seems to be OK.

Wishing you a Happy New Year!
      I'll be seeing her this coming week. I am just hoping for a lack of invasive diagnostic procedures. I can hang with scans and so forth, but cringe at the sight of anything made of stainless steel.
      Happy New Year to you, too!
      Jim S.

Comment

Visit with GP today

Ok, so I didn't get much sleep last night. That **** gas pain or whatever it is woke me up at about 330 AM, and then, the **** fairy came and gave me an earful, "who knows what it could be?, what if it's something really bad?...." You know that routine. Then I remembered my wife was getting up at 500 to drive to Tahoe with her friend to ski, but I had to get her across town to the friend's house....no more sleep for me.

So I showed up for my appt about 20 minutes early, but the doctor saw me right away. She's really great. I am very lucky to have a good primary. Neuro is a nice person, but she is one of those dispassionate neurological types. Always with the clipboard and the eyebrows. Are they all like that? Anyway.

I made a list of the irritating, weird, and disturbing things that have been going on since my recent misdiagnosis/relapse or whatever it is. I have to remember, that not everything is MS, even if it is MS, it might be happening along with the MS or as a result or...

Fortunately I don't have too much of a problem discussing poop and related issues with my doc, after all, it is part of the whole picture. So I detailed my misery and woe while she nodded and took notes on her computer. A couple of times she gave me a "what the ..." look or so it seemed. I finally was able to blurt out that I thought there was definitely something going on in my gut and bowels.

So, up on the exam table thing, stethoscope was not too cold and she pushed here and there and listened to the insides. She got me off the table and she ordered some blood work, a urine screen and a cat scan of my innards.

She also prescribed something like Immodium, but the prescription kind. The label says it's for reducing gas and acidity and for the symptoms of ulcers. Ok, sounds good. If it reduces the gas pains, I am all for it!

I checked in to the lab and made my donations and headed home. I avoided stopping at my favorite diner and ordering a cheeseburger.

I have Kaiser and they post the lab results online; 2 hours after I got home, I got the results of the blood and urine screens. They look normal, kidneys working, no UTI. At first I was relieved, then it occurred to me, "what is wrong, then?" Since there was no suspicious stuff in the lab work, what cold it be?
        Well, tomorrow I have the Cat Scan. Maybe that will reveal something....treatable, curable, that is.

At least the Famotidine ( I checked the label) seems to have reduced the gas pains I have been having. I could use a good night's sleep.
        The only thing is, 2 of my favorite TV shows come back tonight, The Blacklist, and of course Elementary, with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu.
        It will be good to have a diversion from my worries about my health issues.
        Jim S.

Comment

Hi Jim

Thanks for update. Sounds like you've avoided the stainless steel (so far).

Neuro is a nice person, but she is one of those dispassionate neurological types. Always with the clipboard and the eyebrows. Are they all like that? Anyway.
          Yeah, I think the majority of neuros are like that.

At least the Famotidine ( I checked the label) seems to have reduced the gas pains I have been having.
          Good for you that you have gotten some relief.

Hope you have a restful night. Good luck with the cat scan.
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I see stainless steel in my future...

I had a CT scan of my gut ....

The good news: My doctor waited in her office until the report came, and called to let me know there wasn't anything really awful like cancer or other life-threatening stuff.
            She is a saint, knowing that I would be listening to the "crap fairy" all weekend, wondering when and how I would be die. So she hung around till 630PM and called me on her way home. Wow. I do have a doc that "gets it".

The other news is that I have a 2 non-cancerous (or looks that way) nodules, one on my kidney, the other on the adrenal gland. That might explain some of the weird pain and so forth that I have been having. More sort of good news is that my constipation is easing up, but I am guessing the pressure and apparent gas pains, are due to the nodule-dudes.

I see stainless steel looming in the future.
            Jim S.

Comment

Hi Jim ~

I had a CT scan of my gut ....

The good news: My doctor waited in her office until the report came, and called to let me know there wasn't anything really awful like cancer or other life-threatening stuff.
              She is a saint, knowing that I would be listening to the "crap fairy" all weekend, wondering when and how I would be die. So she hung around till 630PM and called me on her way home. Wow. I do have a doc that "gets it".
              You're very fortunate to have such a good doctor!

The other news is that I have a 2 non-cancerous (or looks that way) nodules, one on my kidney, the other on the adrenal gland. That might explain some of the weird pain and so forth that I have been having. More sort of good news is that my constipation is easing up, but I am guessing the pressure and apparent gas pains, are due to the nodule-dudes.

I see stainless steel looming in the future.
              Maybe a laparoscopy/laser type surgery can be done these days?

In any case, wishing you strength and peace of mind to deal with whatever you need to.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Hi Jim ~

You're very fortunate to have such a good doctor!

Maybe a laparoscopy/laser type surgery can be done these days?

In any case, wishing you strength and peace of mind to deal with whatever you need to.

Good luck and keep us posted.
                Koko, thanks for your encouragement. If they get me sorted out, I am ready for just about anything.

It occurred to me this AM that I have adapted to MS and the things I have to do to "accommodate" it.

And yes, my doctor is a great ally.
                J
                Jim S.

Comment

Dang...new features found on CT scan(s)

As luck would have it, the CT Scans my doctor ordered revealed two nodules on my right kidney. They are not likely to be cancer, but they are going to "keep an eye on them".
                  Bummer. They also said that my pain and digestive problems are not related to the kidney things, which are something called a "Bozniak 2F" and an Adrenal Adenoma...

Well, what else could it be? Everything else came up nice and normal. So ...now I can just guess?
                  She did order an x-ray to check my lumbar spine for problems, but I am pretty sure that wouldn't be the cause of constipation, bloating, gassy-ness.

In the meantime I have gotten some relief from keeping my insides mostly empty, and using Gas-X to keep the pressure manageable. Not a great way to live, though. I can't really sit down for any time at all, or drive my car without major discomfort. I rode my motorcycle to the radiology appt today since it finally stopped raining for a while. It was actually kind of pleasant, not much pain and plenty of fresh air blowing me in the face. (Visor up)..

I'll post again when the doctor calls about the xray results.
                  Peace and have a great Martin Luther King Jr Day
                  J
                  Jim S.

Comment

They're going in....

So...lumbar xray wasn't too interesting, just the usual fair "amount of arthritis" in your hips...

So we're going in, as in colonoscopy and one of those cameras down your throat deals.

As much as I hate the thought of those things, I am ready for some answers.

Peace!
                    Jim S.

Comment

I rode my motorcycle to the radiology appt today since it finally stopped raining for a while. It was actually kind of pleasant, not much pain and plenty of fresh air blowing me in the face. (Visor up)..
                      Well glad to know that you were able to find a small bit of something pleasant with your experience.

Comment

So...lumbar xray wasn't too interesting, just the usual fair "amount of arthritis" in your hips...

So we're going in, as in colonoscopy and one of those cameras down your throat deals.

As much as I hate the thought of those things, I am ready for some answers.

Peace!
                        I hear ya Jim. Not much fun, but I have a feeling you'll get through it all just fine.

Wishing you peace of mind, strength, and courage.

Comment

I hear ya Jim. Not much fun, but I have a feeling you'll get through it all just fine.

Wishing you peace of mind, strength, and courage.
                          Thanks for the encouraging words...I need them...

Silly, how I can almost embrace, even the worst of my MS issues, but this new stuff is pretty debilitating....and just a little scary.
                          Jim S.

Comment

Working...
                          X