Kind of a half year in review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of a half year in review

I checked this board 6 months ago to see what posts had appeared. Had the joy of chatting with some of you before I disappeared for 6 months.

That was approximately 2 weeks before I was hit with a major heart attack with which I fought for my life for 3 weeks I am told. They told me I was in a coma for all but a few hours of those 3 weeks. I also coded 5 times and had a double bypass and a defibrillator inserted when it was discovered that my heart wasn't going to settle down. I was away from home for 2 months during which time they made me stay bed ridden for all but 2 weeks during which I was in rehab and they kept me wheelchair bound. I went through PT, OT, Speech (a couple different kinds it seemed). Through all but rehab, one of my caregivers stayed by my bedside. She didn't want me to wake up alone and not know where I was or what had happened to me. Although the few hours I was not in a coma showed them my brain was still active and had not been damaged by the by then 4 times dying, it also showed them that my mind was reacting both to the event by running from it and dreaming up stuff and to the medicine they had me on by what my mind was dreaming up.

For a few days after waking up I was afraid to go back to sleep because I was convinced the kidnappers were waiting for just that to take me back. It took me a month to fully believe I hadn't been kidnapped, beaten and starved.

When they let me go home, I had OT, PT, and a nurse several times a week for weeks until I could force myself to meet their standards no matter how much pain I was in. I passed their tests in time to enter allergy season which sidelined me. Just in time for NaNoWriMo.

National Novel Writers Month during the month of November. This is a month of writing 50,000 words in 30 days. For 7 years I tried and this, the 7th - I made it for the first time.

And I am once again having difficulties. My caregivers and I are attempting to get things started once more but with the holidays upon us it is difficult to find the time. Meanwhile, my BP has dropped, I am tired but can't sleep. Some of the meds they put me on makes me sick to my stomach. My GP has done what he could. Finally I got in to see my Heart Dr and he has taken me off my Blood pressure medicine only to put me on 3 others. He says within 6 months there is another medicine he wants me off of totally if there is any way possible.

No one (Drs)wants to do anything because of the heart attack. ALL meds have to be given with care - even any meds I am given by my neuro. Everyone tells me to clear it with my heart doctor first.

Meanwhile, I have to tell my GP that he said to go ahead and treat the anemia and my nuero is to increase my meds for spasms and sleeping. This of course will be addressed the next time I go to see these drs which will be a month from now.

The great news of the year is that my MS is in remission. I don't know what I would do if I had that to fight in addition to these others at the same time. Right now these are hard enough. So I am truly Blessed

Way to find the positive in all of that. I am so glad that you can do that and you are truly blessed to still have that brightness within.

I've also had a rough 6 months but your story sure puts mine in perspective!

Here is wishing you a good day on Christmas and a life time of blessings afterwards.
    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Thank you for the review

And here is to having a wonderful healing New Year! Bo, you are amazing for having the attitude that is most helpful with all of this. You are blessed to have a care giver to help you through all of this. I am most excited that you were able to write so much. I hope that has given you some satisfaction to boost your inner strength.
      Thank you for the review, and I hope you share the words with someone.

Comment

Staying positive

I reread the words I wrote back then and it makes me ashamed for the feelings of anger and fear and emptiness I am feeling now.

Yes as far as we know, the MS is still in remission. There will be no more MRI's to confirm this as the defibrillator/pacemaker won't allow it. In addition to this, I have crossed the line from being borderline anemic to full on anemic and ended up in the hospital needing 3 pints of blood to replace my hemoglobin. They say I am still bleeding somewhere but can't find it and can't run anymore tests because of ... - you guessed it - my defibrillator/pacemaker. Now I have to watch for symptoms of Anemia which can be similar to MS and or the flu.

As positive as I like to try to be, I am finding it more and more impossible to be. It doesn't help when I follow doctors orders only to be told by his receptionists that they won't do what he had me go back in for today. Simple blood work. That was all. And although he ordered it a month ago, they refused to do it today because my gp has been doing it to keep an eye on my hemoglobin and tested for the other as well.

OK enough - I have to let go sometime and a day of being frustrated, angry, afraid and empty is enough. Tomorrow, I start again rebuilding my life somehow.

Comment

Bo, I am reading you loud and clear

Bo, I am sorry that you are having more problems and frustrations with the doctors. I empathize, although I have not gone through as much as you have. My previous neuro basically forgot about me, and I only realized that was a bad thing after I had a relapse and needed help. I have gotten a much better neuro and got many other doctors to work on my various issues, so I am surviving.

I am checking the message board almost every day, as I also log in to play Mahjong Connect a lot. Escaping into a game is what brings me calm at the end of a day of stress. I assume that writing is your escape. I hope that you can continue writing and that you find at least a few moments of peace in the midst of all of your chaos.

As for your anger and frustration, they are not a bad thing. It is a release of feelings in response to a horrible situation. You are allowed to have thankful days as well as angry days. Life is hard, and it doesn't allow for stagnant feelings. Each new challenge is just that, a challenge.

It doesn't need to be compared to any others, or you will never feel justified in a response. Just be in the moment as much as you can, for moments are all we really have. Feel what you need to feel in the moment, write your thoughts in the moment, and hopefully enjoy some peace and lots of love in every moment.

Sending peaceful thoughts your way,
          Jessica

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Thank you

Thank you Jessica. It is nice to know that someone is checking on this message board now. Now I know my voice is being heard by someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Perkins View Post
              I reread the words I wrote back then and it makes me ashamed for the feelings of anger and fear and emptiness I am feeling now...
              You don't ever need to feel shame for your emotions. Feelings just "are". There is no "right" or "wrong" about them.

Originally posted by Bo Perkins View Post
              ...OK enough - I have to let go sometime and a day of being frustrated, angry, afraid and empty is enough. Tomorrow, I start again rebuilding my life somehow.
              Yes; sometimes you have to let go. If your emotions take over your life, at some point you may wish to pursue counselling to help you to deal with them. But, if tomorrow, you can get out of bed and begin rebuilding your life again, you have the resilience needed to cope.

So sorry for everything you've been going through. Thanks for coming back, after your break.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

TY

Thank You very much

Comment

Working...
                X