I can't work anymore and have become the stay at home parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't work anymore and have become the stay at home parent

40 year old guy who recently left the work force. I was DX with MS at 31 but first had signs at 28. I worked for as long as I could but when I got fired from my second job in 2 years for being incompetent and too many absences I realized it was time to let go of work. I have been taking freelance jobs while waiting for disability, I just got a hearing scheduled for March 17th YAY. My wife was always a stay at home mom to our 3 kids and with her having to go back to work I have had to become Mr. Mom but with the added issue of MS. So this is just a few observations on the topic for anyone who cares.

Cooking: I was always a terrible cook (when I tried to help out before I once burned water) The kids have accused me of my food growling at them. So I started out small and easy Mac and Cheese, Grilled cheese and soup, frozen pizza etc. Meanwhile I used free time to read how to cook online. I began once a week finding a recipe then learning every step along the way. I was so proud the first time I diced and sauteed an onion! Now I have a few "complex" dishes that I can do Enchiladas, Broccoli and Alfredo Rotini with grilled chicken, Alton Brown's baked mac and cheese (ha Kraft you are never allowed in this house again!) What I ran into though is the difficulty following complex instructions. I would read a recipe and then when it came time to execute I could never deal with all the steps, solution laptop in the kitchen recipe pulled up online so I can take it step by step referring back to it as necessary. I do all the mise en place first which really helps keep me from missing an ingredient or letting something else burn. It still happens but 4 nights out of 5 my food not only does not growl but gets eaten to the bottom of the bowl. It has been a challenge between issues standing and issues following directions but I have learned to adapt and now actually have fun cooking.

Dishes: I don't mind dishes no instructions to follow wash load wash load drop a tab and run! I got a tall stool I can sit on when my legs aren't up to it. I do have the kids unload to cut back on the standing.

Vacuuming: My 13 year old is a bit obsessive about anything on the floor I don't have to vacuum he does it a couple times a week on his own. Super YAY!

Laundry: This is where it is hard I am obsessive about how things are loaded and folded so while the kids are willing to help I don't really want them to. I tried to let them and it drove me nuts. So I have to do this myself and unfortunately laundry is down stairs. I have found if I drop everything off the landing upstairs I have a much easier time getting down to it. Some days I have to sit on my but and scooch down the stairs but usually dangling from the railings gives me enough support. It does kill me to stand there and fold stuff but I can't get good folds sitting down. Not sure if my obsession will have to back down or I'll have to find another answer.

Money: This has been the killer I was the bread winner for the first 18 years of our marriage and I made good bread. Sadly after 18 years as a stay at home mom without a college degree my wife's earning potential just is not as high as mine was. So not only am I having to learn how to be Mr. Mom but I am having to learn how to do it on a budget. She is getting there as she gets time in the work force and employers see how great she is she gets promotions and raises quickly but I don't see her ever pulling in 50k a year. Disability will help with that but that is still months away and there is of course the chance I will be denied ... again.

So the house isn't quite as clean as it used to be, the food isn't quite as good and the money has become a memory but we are hanging in there.

Just a brief ramble on my life and my MS.
    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Originally posted by TaoWarrior View Post
    Money: This has been the killer I was the bread winner for the first 18 years of our marriage and I made good bread. Sadly after 18 years as a stay at home mom without a college degree my wife's earning potential just is not as high as mine was. So not only am I having to learn how to be Mr. Mom but I am having to learn how to do it on a budget. She is getting there as she gets time in the work force and employers see how great she is she gets promotions and raises quickly but I don't see her ever pulling in 50k a year. Disability will help with that but that is still months away and there is of course the chance I will be denied ... again.

So the house isn't quite as clean as it used to be, the food isn't quite as good and the money has become a memory but we are hanging in there.

Just a brief ramble on my life and my MS.
    I love your positive attitude and that you are doing what needs to be done. Also kudos to your wife for stepping up and challenging herself to become a career woman. BTW I would like to borrow your 13yo for my floors, lol.

I believe you can get back pay from disability when you finally get approved so that would be a nice windfall. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong but also I think others have used a lawyer and that made a difference in getting accepted quicker.

Hang in there! Jules
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Cooking for your family is love in action.

As for the laundry, me thinks that if you can handle MS, you can handle someone else folding your duds. It is something that kids can do, even if not up to your specs, and they feel like they are adding value to your family. So, what is worth more to you- perfect folds or some rest time and the chance for your kids to feel like they are pitching in?

You could start a Dadīs recipe book for your kiddos.
      Take care,
      Temagami

Comment

My oldest does quite a bit of cooking. A few nights ago she made a potato and cauliflower curry that was pretty yummy. I need to see what we can sub to make it cheaper though it uses cashews and cauliflower which are both pricey. Many times my oldest will try an experimental dish and that will help me learn how to cook it and it will get added to the menu. Her chili went that way not sure the curry will though that is pretty labor intensive. She also did a shepherds pie that I might try but also pretty intense I'll likey leave those two to her. I do get out of cooking at least 1 night a week when she does it (she also works so she isn't home most nights) and then of course traditional pizza and movie night (yay Little Caesars 5 dollar pizza)

My 14 year old has tried but frankly she is terrible in the kitchen. She is a straight A honor roll student taking advanced classes though so I would rather her focus on school and not practice cooking. If she keeps up in school she'll make enough to hire a private chef She does take the trash and recycling out though and helps with yard work.

All three kids help to some degree. I have to say it is a bit easier to be so positive when everyone pitches in and steps up and I am blessed to have them all.

I think part of what made me write this was back in July my MIL was had 2 heart attacks and was DX with stage 4 endometrial cancer. My FIL had a hospital stay due to a major infection and a diabetic incident in October and my wife got an abscess in her boob also in October that wasn't finally fixed until 2 weeks ago. When the guy with MS is the healthy adult it is tough. It about killed me trying to do everything for everyone and the kids stepped up even more than usual but still I was drained. Now everyone except my MIL is healthy again and it made me realize how great the family is at standing up for each other.

Sorry this didn't start out sappy but I guess it got there. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas or whatever your pleasure thanks for reading my rambling and my your days be as blessed as mine.
        Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
        X