Vitamin D: Low Levels of Vitamin D Linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D: Low Levels of Vitamin D Linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Another reason to maintain healthy Vitamin D levels!!!

A study published in the BMJ Open Gastroenterology found that out of 51 patients with IBS, 82 percent had low levels of vitamin D. The study also found the level of vitamin D impacted quality of life.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic and debilitating functional disorder of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, affecting around 9-23% of people worldwide and 10-15% of people in the US.

Why and how the condition develops is something of a mystery, although dietary factors and stress are known to make symptoms worse.

Source: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/304361.php?

It sucks!

I was shot a little over 8 years ago now through my left iliac and the bullet ended up in my retroperitoneal space. Flown to Shock Trauma and luckily released the same day. No surgery needed on iliac because the bullet did not travel through a weight bearing area and the bullet missed all vital organs including my spine by a few millimeters. Basically put a band aid on me and sent me home with crutches. Few days later I started to develop IBS. Several GI visits and 2 colonoscopy's later it was determined STRESS was causing it. I did suffer from PTSD at the time due to the incident. I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact stress was causing the issues. Well here we are 8 years later and I still have it. Through all my testing of my MS symptoms it was found I am vitamin D deficient as well. I cannot remember the results, but they were not too low. I take a daily vitamin D pill a night now and have been for about a month. So far I feel no difference. I am holding out hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by Shorti24 View Post
      I was shot a little over 8 years ago now......Through all my testing of my MS symptoms it was found I am vitamin D deficient as well. I cannot remember the results, but they were not too low. I take a daily vitamin D pill a night now and have been for about a month. So far I feel no difference. I am holding out hope it helps
      It seems like a shock like a gunshot wound would definitely cause some stress...I hope the Vit D helps you. Just stick with it, it may take time to resolve.

I am going to go take a couple capsules of it myself right now. I am going on a 2 months now with symptoms like IBS, so ..
      Jim S.

Comment

Working...
      X