Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have serious side effects for Baclofen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have serious side effects for Baclofen?

Okay I rarely post here for myself. But I just spent the last 2 weekends in ER, hospitalized one night.
    They ruled out heart and think its my esophagus causing the chest pain. Will see Gastro doc to get a EGD procedure to scope my esophagus.

Next I came to ER with breathing problems. I just couldn't get my lungs to open up completely. Again with the heart issue ruled out, the ER doc started to listen to me. I told her that a "voice inside" told me to look up Baclofen side effects. There were most of my recent signs, but chest pain and breathing issues are not common yet reported.

So my MS doc told me to stop and I could start breathing better already. However, she doesn't think that is what is causing my breathing issues. We'll just have to see.

But whaaa.. LOL, now I have no meds for not only my spasticity, but my spinal stenosis (Sciatica) has very painful spasms too.
    I also cannot take more Gabapentin as I only have one kidney to metabolize all my meds.

whaaa...whaaa... done whining~
    Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

I'm sorry that you have been in the hospital these last two weekends with chest pain and breathing problems. I hope that the cause is found out quickly.

Is there any other medication that can help with spasms?

What side affects do you think baclofen is causing?

I went to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago for severe chest pain, heart issues were ruled out and I was sent home, told to follow up with my doctor.

Some days I don't want to take any of this medicine and than somedays I feel like i'm harming myself if I don't.

Please share what your concerns are about baclofen?

Comment

Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
      I'm sorry that you have been in the hospital these last two weekends with chest pain and breathing problems. I hope that the cause is found out quickly.

Is there any other medication that can help with spasms?

What side affects do you think baclofen is causing?

I went to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago for severe chest pain, heart issues were ruled out and I was sent home, told to follow up with my doctor.

Some days I don't want to take any of this medicine and than somedays I feel like i'm harming myself if I don't.

Please share what your concerns are about baclofen?
      [COLOR=rgb(75,0,130)]thanks for your response Tia. Sorry you have been going through this crap too. At least we know our "hearts" our okay. Let me tell you, since I went off of Baclofen I can not only BREATHE effortlessly, but no more chest pain.

I did get a EGD scope of esophagus. Its inflamed, probably due to GERD only. Still.
      Now I have nothing for spasms and tightness from spasticity. I also have spinal stenosis which now shows up in my hamstrings as tight spasm and in my hip too. YIKES~ BUT I feel so much better off of 5+years of Baclofen. Who knew?

Take care of yourself and keep me posted how you are doing hon, okay?
      Hugs, Jan[/COLOR]
      I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Mjan, I'm glad that you are feeling better. I hope that things continue to improve. Are you using natural remedies for GERD or changing your diet to help?

I am going to limit my medications to as needed for a bit to try to see if I am feeling better. I am also starting a light exercise program to get myself back in control the old fashion way.

Hey, what will I lose to give it a shot and maybe it might help. These medicines seem more like poison to me.

I am not in any way against medication, in fact I have been on meds for so long, what if like you I'll feel better without them.

I hope that you continue to feel better each day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
          Mjan, I'm glad that you are feeling better. I hope that things continue to improve. Are you using natural remedies for GERD or changing your diet to help?

I am going to limit my medications to as needed for a bit to try to see if I am feeling better. I am also starting a light exercise program to get myself back in control the old fashion way.

Hey, what will I lose to give it a shot and maybe it might help. These medicines seem more like poison to me.

I am not in any way against medication, in fact I have been on meds for so long, what if like you I'll feel better without them.

I hope that you continue to feel better each day.
          I just happened upon your post.

I'm not sure which medication you were thinking of cutting back on, but if it's Baclofen, you may want to check with your neuro about slowing reducing your dose. Baclofen can create a withdrawal
          situation if you go cold turkey after taking the med regularly. Just an FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
            I just happened upon your post.

I'm not sure which medication you were thinking of cutting back on, but if it's Baclofen, you may want to check with your neuro about slowing reducing your dose. Baclofen can create a withdrawal
            situation if you go cold turkey after taking the med regularly. Just an FYI.
            [COLOR=rgb(128,0,128)]Yes, both ER doc and myself were aware. Took less of a dose next AM and same breathing issues started. Called NEURO (on a Saturday) and she told me to get off right away~due to breathing issues. I already was taking less than prescribed, so it worked out. My limbs were so weak for a few days, but now I feel SO MUCH better! Just don't have anything for spasms.. sigh.
            thanks for your caring info, but I very aware of how my body (with 1 kidney now) is super sensitive to meds. Just got off of my STATIN due to extreme muscle spasms! [/COLOR]
            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Many meds for spasticity right?

Mjan,
              There are several meds to try for spasticity, not just baclofen.

Years ago I was on tizanidine, and then klonopin, (which worked way better.) My pain was different then, than now. I got off of it years ago and forgot all about the leg problem.

I denied even then, that it could be MS, because I felt like I was being a crybaby, when there are others who have it much worse!

Why don't you try another before giving up on a med helping you?

Just a thought, unless doc already said no way because of one kidney.

Btw, my mom has one kidney, is now 71, and I have never heard her doctor say no way. But then she doesn't have MS.

TRy not to give up on finding some relief.
              -Dawl
              10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
              later:ADEM/MS,
              5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Originally posted by dawlfin View Post
                Mjan,
                There are several meds to try for spasticity, not just baclofen.

Years ago I was on tizanidine, and then klonopin, (which worked way better.) My pain was different then, than now. I got off of it years ago and forgot all about the leg problem.

I denied even then, that it could be MS, because I felt like I was being a crybaby, when there are others who have it much worse!

Why don't you try another before giving up on a med helping you?

Just a thought, unless doc already said no way because of one kidney.

Btw, my mom has one kidney, is now 71, and I have never heard her doctor say no way. But then she doesn't have MS.

TRy not to give up on finding some relief.
                -Dawl
                Dawl, I am not giving up on a med. I could not breathe!!!!!! And my MS neuro said I had to get off of it. This is my 2nd or 3rd med for spasticity. I'll see what she recommends when I see her in February. I am super-sensitive to meds with serious side effects. thanks for your response though.
                I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Carolinemf

Hi Mjan,
                  One of my main concerns with my ms is spasticity and fatigue. I found over the years that baclofen did vertually nothing to help and actually increased my fatigue. For about 4years now i have been taking Diazepam+some polaramine each night and this has helped me with both getting to sleep and having a good sound sleep without as much of the hangover effect of other meds. I also have an erratic heart beat that i take metoprolol for as well as alergy exacerbated asthma these have both improved since i started this regime as well. I have found localised heat (wheat pack ) the most effective for my sciatica. Everyone has different needs and usually respond differently to certain meds but you may like to ask your doc about this. It took me years of trying different meds to give me relief and consulting a variety of docs and this combo was finally suggested by an older semi retired doc who looked at my problems from more than just the ms angle. All the best.

Comment

UPDATE

Well after 6 weeks being off of Baclofen after my Dec ER visits. I had trouble breathing. Could not get my lungs to work. Read that Baclofen CAN cause chest pain and breathing issues. MY MS neuro didn't think it was the Baclofen, but agreed to get off. I tried one more pill and immediately had trouble getting my lungs to fill up.

Well now I am back on Baclofen as going without it made my spasticity so much worse. Now no problems breathing.

See my MS neuro this past week and she thinks its part of the MS HUG! The diaphragm not working. So wouldn't it make sense the the medication for reducing spasms was making my diaphragm and lungs just not work as strongly?

So I am cautious now taking the Baclofen...gulp.

Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Bad, bad side effects

I was on Baclofen for about a day and I started having difficulty breathing. My family called an ambulance and I was taken to the e.r I was told I was having some crazy hallucinations as in I was singing Patsy Cline's "crazy" all the way to the hospital at the top of my lungs. When it left my system, I was done with baclofen!
                      Teresa

Comment

Working...
                      X