Optic Neuritis examination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Neuritis examination

I am going to see a neurological ophthalmologist to check on whether I have ON. The receptionist told me it will take 4hours. What will happen during that 4hours? Has anybody ever gone through this?

Hi kim-mastro. Four hours seems long, but it sounds like they are being thorough. I'm wondering if that includes an MRI?

Here's some information from the Mayo Clinic that outlines some of the test they may have you undergo http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20029723

I hope all goes well for you. Let us know what tests they did and how you're doing
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi kim-mastro:

I've had many episodes of ON, so I can tell you from experience that an experienced eye doctor (ophthalmologist or optometrist) needs only about 5 minutes to tell if someone has ON. Allowing 20 minutes for pupils to dilate, it still takes the doctor about 5 minutes.

A VEP and an MRI aren't necessary for diagnosis of ON by an experienced eye doctor. A series of tests are for qualification, quantification, documentation and workup for underlying conditions. That's what can run the total time up to 4 hours. This is especially true if you'll be seen at a teaching institution that includes a full workup by a resident or fellow (who has to later confer with the ophthalmologist).

So if your appointment is expected to last 4 hours, you should be getting a comprehensive workup with dilation, tests of visual function including visual acuity, color and possibly contrast testing, a refraction and electronic testing, probably including a visual field test and OCT, possibly a VEP. Some of the time will include just sitting around and waiting.

None of those tests require analysis later, so you should be able to have all of the results before you leave. If you have an MRI, it will have to be reviewed by a radiologist, so you won't get that result for a few days.

Comment

I had my last MRI last April. Should I request that a copy be sent to the neuroopthamologist? When I saw my Neuro for the first time two years ago, he told me that I had an episode 6-8 weeks before the first MRI that I had. That was about when I first noticed the problem with my eye.

Comment

I had a very thorough workup for ON done a coupe years ago. They did all kinds of testing including the ones jreagan mentioned and definitely a lot of that time was spent sitting around waiting to be taken to each machine or exam room. Bit of a bummer since your eyes are dilated so no reading or anything. It is a good time to bring someone along so you have someone to chat with while you wait around.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I'll get back to you after my visit and let you know whet happens. I''m betting it's ON since that same eye lost color vision about 20 years ago.

Comment

Went to see the neurological opthamologist (sp?) today. Wow! Pretty draining!!! Tests show I have ON but he feels it's clearing up. No MRI thank goodness. Wants me back in a year to check.

Comment

Working...
              X