Evening Primrose Oil (EPO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening Primrose Oil (EPO)

I was reading that EPO might be helpful for MS patients as it exhibit antiinflamatory properties. It is also an excellent source of the omega-6 essential fatty acid.

Does anybody uses EPO as a supplement to their diet ?
    Diagnosed with RRMS March 2013
    Started on Gilenya May 2013
    Switched to Tysabri August 2014

Hello EH1609,

I have used Evening Primrose Oil for quite some years. Honestly I can't tell if it does anything or not

Best wishes!
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I use evening Primrose oil and have ever since it was recommended to me by a doctor the Cleveland clinic back in 2005. I do not know if it helps or not either.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I am not sure if omega 6 is the fatty acid that you want to increase in your diet. I am pretty sure that would be omega 3. But, I would spend a lot of time researching the benefits of evening primrose oil before I started using it. I have read thousands of pages regarding using supplements to help with MS and never came across any mention of this use. I hope you find some good reliable sources of info that supports its use. Good luck.

Comment

I hope you keep up this thread with "results?" I want to read all I possibly can of how to control my disease.

I took Turmeric purchased from Costco (had oil and pepper in it that helps the body assimilate it, omega would be another source instead of the olive oil); I ran out and simply haven't bought any more. WITHOUT a doubt, it was working and I never even knew it.

Keeping the inflammation controlled seems essential, IMHO. Because I felt better. fed

Comment

Just thought i'd bump up this thread.

Have had a lot of arthritis (like) pain in shoulders , elbows, wrists and hands, knees ankles and feet. ( steadily worsening for about 8 years) have been taking up to 150mg of voltaren tabs per day, applying gel too and taking pain meds also had physio sometimes twice a week. Any activity would increase pain.

In April 2016 i started taking 1x 1000mg caps morning and night of evening primrose oil.
            This is the only change i made at this time until the end of June.

Within 1 week my hands and feet had only a little pain in them and the other areas had lessened as well.
            After a fortnight i stopped taking voltaren etc.
            By the end of a month I had almost no pain.
            It is Dec 2016 and i am still almost pain free.
            I no longer take 2 caps regularly each day but i do notice if i skip 2 or three in a row that aches and soreness seems to come back.

Since June i have tried to include other supplements in my regime , but nothing has had the impact on my quality of life like Evening Primrose oil.
            always watch interactions and research supplements like drugs.
            Hope this is helpful
            all the best

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              Hello EH1609,

I have used Evening Primrose Oil for quite some years. Honestly I can't tell if it does anything or not

Best wishes!
              Yup; me too. I use multiple other supplements, I take Copaxone 40, and I work hard at minimizing stress. My MS has been under better control in recent years than it used to be, but I don't know which of my strategies to attribute that to.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X