Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently Diagnosed- Deciding on Treatment

Hello everyone!

I am new to msworld and the world of MS. I was recently diagnosed with MS after a bout of optic neuritis. My eyesight is slowly improving. I am confident I will regain total vision. I have some tingling in my left lower leg, which has been there for a couple of years. It was originally thought to be the result of a herniated disc in my lumbar spine. Anyway, I am conflicted about whether to take medicine or not. I don't like to take medicine. I am more in line with Eastern methods of medicine and healing myself through diet and lifestyle. Has anyone else opted not to take medicine? What are people's thoughts? Thanks!

Hello Climbhigh and welcome to MSWorld though I'm sorry for the reason you are here. I think you will find both schools of thought here. Their are folks here that are more inline with your way of healing and there are people, such as myself, that take medication. Truthfully I'm not sure which way is best.

With Eastern way of healing at least you know what is going into your body. Those of us that take a DMT are not real sure what comprises that particular DMT we take. Also DMT's have their on dangers and side effects to go along with the MS.

I would have to say you need to go with what makes you comfortable. I know we all have our own opinions but at the end of the day you have to be happy with your choice. Now, with that being said there may come a time when you will be faced with having to begin taking a DMT. The whole idea is to slow the progression of the disease. So if your course of treatment isn't working be prepared.

I believe there is actually a forum on here that is about treating MS with diet. I can't recall the name of it but scroll down the list of forums and you'll find it.

Whatever you choose BEST OF LUCK to you and again welcome. You have definitely come to the right place for support and knowledge.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

Welcome, Climbhigh.

Sorry for the long post.
      If you decide not to read the whole thing, at least check out the two links near the bottom and the final two short paragraphs.

Personally, I use a combination of a DMD (disease modifying drug) and CAM's (complementary and alternative medications).
      I truly believe that the DMD's do, for me, what they are intended to do:
      • decrease frequency of MS flares
      • decrease severity of MS flares
      • delay progression of the disease

1. Different DMD's are effective for different people, although some of us probably respond well to multiple choices. After 5 years of Betaseron, with borderline results, I switched doctors and medications and am now on Copaxone since 2008. I don't regret being on a DMD; my only regret is not switching sooner, when my first choice was not very effective for me. I believe DMD's help with decreasing the fx and severity of my flares because
      a) when I went off for a month or so, during the interim between meds, I had a flare, so even though it was only borderline effective (I had flares once or twice a year that were fairly severe), B did keep the flares away somewhat.
      b) C works so much better for me than B did. Since the switch, I've had 3 years in which I had no flares at all, and my flares are much less severe than they were in the past.
      Even a less-than-ideally-effective DMD was better than nothing for me.

2. I take a number of supplements. Daily, I use Lecithin, Omega 3, and Vitamin D 3 for my MS and Calcium/Magnesium and Uva Ursa for symptom management (frequent nighttime bladder issues). There are a number of other supplements that I have that I'm not always as regular at taking, including Evening Primrose Oil, Curcumin, CoQ10, etc.
      I also use a diffuser and freshen my home with the scent of some essential oils, although they are not directly related to my MS.

3. I try to eat a healthy diet. I don't subscribe to any of the diets specifically touted for MS. However, I have discovered that I have a gluten intolerance, particularly when I combine the gluten with yeast, and so I eat smaller amounts of gluten and almost no gluten with yeast. When I do also consume yeast, I first take a gluten enzyme before I eat, and that usually staves off the symptoms that arise from my intolerance.
      I lost 60 pounds three or four years ago, and being a "normal" weight, instead of obese has helped with my balance, and possibly some other symptoms.
      I try to make other healthy lifestyle choices, such as getting enough sleep. Fatigue is a common symptom with MS, and we're all different. I tend to require 9-10 hours a sleep per night and one (often two) 20-10 minute naps per day.

4. I have found that stress impacts my MS in a big way. Firstly, I tend to feel stress and anxiety more easily at life's "normal" stressors than I used to. Secondly, when I am stressed, it is not unusual for my stress to trigger an MS flare. This includes not just "emotional stress", but also "physical stress" caused by illness, pain, dental issues, etc, and "good stress", which I experience when anticipating an upcoming happy event.
      To combat stress, I've learned what to say "yes" to and what to say "no" to, and not to feel guilty for saying "no". I've decided that saying "no" when I need to is a health strategy, just like taking my med, so there is no need to feel guilty. I also try to limit the number of changes happening in my life at any one time, and allow myself the needed "down time" every day.

You can check out the various medications in this forum:
      Near the bottom of the list of meds, you'll also find a sub-forum for CAM's.

You can also discuss healthy eating and natural supplements here:

Some people have opted not to take DMD medications. I strongly suspect that my MS would have progressed more quickly, and that I would continue to experience the frequent and severe flares that I had in the initial years of my illness if I were not on Copaxone. If I were not on any DMD, I suspect it would be even worse.

Best wishes as you begin your MS journey and seek to choose a treatment regime that is right for you. Hope we can provide some info that's helpful and healthful for you.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for Reply

Thank you waydwnsouth1 and mamabug. I appreciate your insight. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will do some more research.

Comment

You're welcome. You have difficult choices ahead.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the MS World site ! I would like to warn you that going without medicine (DMD's) has been. historically, a bad idea. I agree with you when it comes to many medicine therapies. Sometimes the 'cure is worse than the disease' ! I try not to swallow pharmaceutical drugs and have been that way for about 50 years. But, after much research and medical consultation, I have been taking Tecfidera for 3 years.
            I think that the responses that you have received are spot-on! I would suggest that you investigate everything that is available and then make your decision. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X