leg pain (left)... Sciatica or... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leg pain (left)... Sciatica or... ?

I had my yearly MRI in Sept and it showed no changes from previous ones. I've been pretty healthy and mobile; then on Friday night I noticed that I have a fairly deep burning ache in my left calf that sometimes climbs up into my thigh. Sleeping was pretty difficult as I couldn't find a position that was comfortable.

During the day it was less severe when I was up on my feet, but sitting made it come back. There is a quarter size area in my left lower back and one exactly where I sit that are painful to touch. I've never had sciatica, but my husband said it sounds like exactly what he deals with (he's had it for years and I now know how horrible what he goes through is).

It's been 2 1/2 days now; was better yesterday and came roaring back last night. I'm at work, standing to type. My question: should I contact either my primary care doc or my neurologist (and which one?) for this or wait to see if it subsides? I'm not sure I'm up for another MRI or two (brain and leg?) because of the cost. I'm in a dilemma... Help me to break this down please!

Hi Andi,

I think because sitting sets it off, it points more towards sciatica. I'd make an appointment to see your PCP and get their opinion, first.

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/guide/sciatica-symptoms

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20026478

Good luck.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks Kimba

Things are slowly getting better in the pain department... I noticed that my left leg muscle was really tight when the pain was at its worst... aha, spasticity, so I took baclofen a couple of nights ago and slept well. It seemed to relax those muscles and that diminished the pain. I have continued to take the baclofen twice a day (my Rx is for prn use) and it does seem to help. Just some minor twinges now.

Thanks for your response! I was thinking no one would answer!

Comment

Your welcome. Glad the pain is getting better, and I do hope baclofen solves the problem. Pain is no fun, no matter what the cause!

Might still be a good idea to see your PCP if this continues. Baclofen seems to help some people with sciatica, at least from what I've read.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Piriformis Syndrome?

Andi B -

Sitting as a trigger could also point to piriformis syndrome - when one of your butt muscles (the piriformis) impinges on the sciatic nerve. Similar symptoms as sciatica, but it's a soft tissue issue that can be solved with physical therapy. I am dealing with it for the second time, and the PCP I have now said he could prescribe me a muscle relaxant if I couldn't sleep.

Since I've had it before and PT + heating pad (or one of those heat patches, if I went out of the house) solves it, I'm assuming I'm not having spasticity problems. But I've never had spasticity ...

Question for you: does it go away if you get up and move around? If it's because of the muscle being overly tight from non-MS reasons, using the muscle will loosen it up and calm things down - at least until you sit again for a while.

Just a suggestion, because it's a more hopeful options than sciatica!

Comment

I went through MRIs as well as x-rays of the Lumbar spine and hips. This was done due to back pain (butt) and upper leg pain (it did not go down my leg). Sciatica was suspected.

The pain I experienced made sitting for any length of time difficult and painful. Walking sometimes helped but sometimes not and sometimes would get worse.

What was determined was I have arthritis in the Lumbar area and hips (not surprising to me) but should not have caused the pain and limited mobility I was experiencing. I was referred to Physical Therapy(PT)/Massage Therapy(MT).

My PT said my butt, hip and thigh muscles were very tight, the sciatic nerve was being affected. I benefitted from both the PT and MT but I was hoping for more improvement.

When I saw my Neurologist I spoke to him about my tight muscles and the possibility of a muscle relaxer. Initially he prescribed Soma. It seemed to work great...for about a month I went back to my Neurologist and was given Baclofen. Once I got up to a therapeutic level both the PT and MT went more in the way I had hoped.

I learned stretching exercises that helped improve my pain as well as using a tennis ball to help loosen those tight muscles. This was not a quick process, I was in PT/MT for 3 months.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
            X