No announcement yet.

Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys e_walford well this tickled my fancy sorry no offence intended but it sounds like the book really worked " For instance I read the first chapter of a book on meditation - by the time I'd finished I couldn't remember anything I'd read!", it must have really relaxed you sorry

I use to read two or three books at the same time just pick one up and read and know where I was up to, now I can't read one book if I have any one around me, just can't concentrate, and as like others constantly re renewing the books I have from the library
    I would be lost without my books they take me to a pain free place Craig

Comment

I miss reading!!!!

My most recent flare left me with visual and cognitive dysfunctions. This combination makes reading impossible. Even if I can squint and read the words I don't understand them. I miss reading so much! I think I will try audio books but I am sure I will have the same problem understanding, especially because I am more of a visual than an auditory learner. Even though I miss reading I try to focus on what I can do instead of focusing on what I can't do. I hope this message finds you well.

Comment

me too, used to work in bookstores, collected books, read constantly when i was young, now even on my kindle i buy bargains, collecting, i guess, but takes so long to read one book... loss of interest, very depressing

Comment

I see the initial message was old and I appreciate that it was brought up again. I used to read two or three books at a time and for the past few years cannot read any. My eyesight is poor and the words would turn pink in places. I miss my books.

Comment

I miss my books too. I've been an avid reader my whole life. I regret I didn't keep log of what I've read over the years.

I'm 71 now and I cannot read a book. It's several things in the way...vision, comprehension, attention span...everything. It makes me very sad.

I'm starting to give my books away.

Comment

Going through this now. Double vision, rereading the last paragraph, forgetting what I’m reading while reading it! CRAZY! I love books so much, what a complete bummer! I’ve never been a great listener, but audio books will have to become my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post

Taowarrior,

I just started the program to help with working memory. It consists of 50 minutes on computer, 5 days a week, for 5 weeks. Each week, have a coaching call with neuropsychiatrist. I felt fried after the one session.

I will let you know at the end if it helped. She said about 80% of people see animprovement that stays with them after they stop the exercises. Here is hoping.
                A belated update to this post. The program I took was called Cogmed. My Neuro recommended it and I went to a neuropsych who offers it to see if I could possibly benefit from it. It was not covered by insurance.

My working memory did improve. I am 5 years out from the program and still seem to have maintained the benefits achieved. Today I forgot my grocery list, which had about 25 items on it. In the store, I remembered all but 1, which truly amazed me. I can also read books again - but I do need quiet to do it. But I am so happy I can read and enjoy books again.

I took the class thinking I didn't have much to lose, other than the cost of the program. I am grateful my Neuro suggested it. It truly surpassed any expectation I had.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X