Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading

Ever since I could first read I have been an avid reader. 2-3 books a week even when I was working 60-80 hours a week. I noticed today that I am still reading the same book I started 3 months ago. I have read a couple other books along the way but over 3 months I have probably only read 3-4 books not counting the one I am in the middle of.

We have a warehouse here that does a dollar book sale the first weekend of every month. Last month I got 4 books, 3 are still unread and the sale is this weekend. That is what made me notice just how little I am reading anymore.

Not really asking anything just lamenting the loss of my favorite past time.
    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

I hear you loud and clear! As a retired librarian, reading has been one of my passions for years now. I have been in a book group for many years now too and just recently had to quit.

My problems are falling asleep even if it's an page turner, my comprehension suffers and I'm sometimes unable to remember what I read when I finish it. I plod on though and can only read one (or two at best) per month. They have to be really good books that draws my attention and comprehension right away, or they're outta here!

I will not give up reading though!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Me, too

I used to read alot - loved it! Now I can't even get through a short newspaper article. I lose focus, may times misinterpret what I have read IF I even remember what I read. Haven't been able to read a book for years....

Comment

My problem too!

I used to feel almost panicky unless I had at least three books in my book stash that I hadn't read. I always loved sagas with a large cast of characters with intertwining storylines over hundreds of years. I read Mitchner's, Hawaii and the Source in sixth grade.

I bought New York and the series of books that followed when they came out. I have read the first several Chapters of New York at least half a dozen times. Each time, I spent more time backtracking than the time before. I cannot keep track of anything going on... I have a love for history and have incredible set of books on the Civil War. I just want to cry

Has anyone had luck with Audio books? I mean if it's a cognitive issue why would it be any easier to keep track of Characters descriptions from an Audio Book. I was wondering if any one has any thoughts or experiences. I do so miss sitting in a cozy chair with a good book.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderdog lady View Post
          Has anyone had luck with Audio books? I mean if it's a cognitive issue why would it be any easier to keep track of Characters descriptions from an Audio Book. I was wondering if any one has any thoughts or experiences. I do so miss sitting in a cozy chair with a good book.
          My experiences with Audio Books have largely involved me zoning out or not paying attention to what was said. To this day, I still can't tell you what "Bridges of Madison County" is about because I kept falling asleep when the Audio Book played. That said, I usually played the book at bedtime...
          Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
          UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Reading frustrations

Not being able to reading as fluidly as I once did is probably one of the most frustrating things for me, as a teacher, I am expected to read and retain information in order to help my students learn, not to mention it is just good modeling.
            In the past i read for pleasure constantly, now I am trying to listen to audio books, already I am finding myself frustrated again trying to remember what was just read to me....it is all just so frustrating!
            BobbiJo

Comment

hmm...

I have noticed that this symptom comes and goes for me. I decided to read as much as I can anyway, so my reading comprehension doesn't slip further due to inactivity. That may sound silly, but we don't have control of much so I'm trying to stack the deck a little. Anyways, I've always been the type to read just about anything. Sometimes now, when I find a good one, I'll do a mini trial run to see if I am "getting it" that day. If not, I stop reading so it won't go to waste.

Lol, I just reminded myself of something I read here once. Somebody said the best thing about cog fog was they could watch the same episodes of criminal minds and they're like new every time. That happens to me too, but with books it's not the same for some reason.

Good luck to us almost ex-readers!
              You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

I just got Canticle for Leibowitz from the library on a 2 week loan on Friday I am only up to page 33 at this rate it will take me 34 days to read it
                Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Originally posted by TaoWarrior View Post
                  I am only up to page 33 at this rate it will take me 34 days to read it
                  Thank goodness for library renewals! I wouldn't be able to finish a book if it weren't for those extra two weeks.

If your library lets you renew twice, in 34 days you'll have read a book that you wouldn't have finished if you gave up too soon. In 6 weeks, you'll even be able to read your favorite parts twice.

Comment

Unfortunately classes have started so I am actually slowing down. I know I can get 1 renewal but some books are limited renewals I am not sure if this is one or not. I hope not since 6 weeks looks to be about right. I will keep pressing and if I don't get a second renewal on this one I'll just write my page number down and try to check it out again in a couple more weeks.

There was no wait list on it when I checked it out though so good chance I can just keep renewing it till I finish.

Comment

I have the same frustration. It doesn't matter how much I am enjoying a book either. I am lucky now to read 2-3 a year.

I am going to work with a neuropsychs over the next two months to see if we can improve my working memory, with the theory it will help with reading. Will let you know if any success.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Penn let me know how it goes for sure. Anything that might help would be great, not just for reading but for getting back to work as well. If I could get my working memory back to even 80% of my prime I would be happy.

Not sure how I could pay for that but if it works I'll find a way!

Comment

I read a lot too. I have noticed that if there are too many characters, I can't keep track of them all.

I also find my mind wandering (I call it "squirreling", like dogs and squirrels, lol). I will go off on a thought and have to start over many times.

I keep it up though, as I read that it is good for keeping us sharp.

I have started to use soduko, or is it sudoko?, as a sleep aid. One way to get tired easily is to have to think hard. Don't do it if you are having fatigue- it totaly saps my energy- worse than some exercise or housecleaning.

-Dawl
                          10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
                          later:ADEM/MS,
                          5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Originally posted by TaoWarrior View Post
                            Thanks Penn let me know how it goes for sure. Anything that might help would be great, not just for reading but for getting back to work as well. If I could get my working memory back to even 80% of my prime I would be happy.

Not sure how I could pay for that but if it works I'll find a way!
                            Taowarrior,

I just started the program to help with working memory. It consists of 50 minutes on computer, 5 days a week, for 5 weeks. Each week, have a coaching call with neuropsychiatrist. I felt fried after the one session.

I will let you know at the end if it helped. She said about 80% of people see animprovement that stays with them after they stop the exercises. Here is hoping.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Trouble remembering

I get the same problem with reading too.

I used to read loads when I was younger, but now I struggle to read at all. Can't remember the last book I did read all the way through!

For instance I read the first chapter of a book on meditation - by the time I'd finished I couldn't remember anything I'd read!

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X