Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembering things that did not happen!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembering things that did not happen!!!

I am totally freaked out by something that happened today. I'd like to preface this by saying I have had moderate cognitive dysfunction and bothersome memory issues.

Today, however, was extremely weird. As usual, I was in a ton of pain but was down to my last pain pill. When I couldn't stand it any longer, I test my husband "going to take my last norco so please don't forget to pick up my meds on the way home."

About 45 minutes later I was complaining that the Norco hadn't even taken the edge off of my pain. Hours later I was switching out old pill bottles for the new one and found that I never took the pill! Even as I write this, I vaguely remember taking that norco.

How the heck did this happen? I cost myself hours in terrible pain due to a false memory. Has anyone else had any weird memory issues like this???

"Has anyone else had any weird memory issues like this???"

Sure, often. Don't sweat it, K-Luv. When you create a repetitive pattern for your brain, it goes to the most recent synapses fired and tells you everything is hunky dory. Your repetitive pattern is the routine you employ to take your meds, that's all.

If you'd like to avoid confusion in the future, add an additional step to your routine in which you log the time and date you last took a dose. Problem solved. ;-)

Comment

set a timer for the next time that you can take a dose.that way all you need to remember is that when the timer goes off you can take another. Problem solved. ( myself, I would probably forget what the timer was for)
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks

Bad Attitude and Hunterd, thanks for your replies. I have set timers for most meds but I only take the Norco as needed. It's just so odd to me that I thought I took a pills only to discover hours later that I hadn't!

I will try the log idea as long as I can remember to log it. Lol I don't remember lots these days!

Comment

One thing that helps me - once I take a pill, I invert the bottle upside down.

Because I have insomnia, I've been taking sleeping pills at a certain time in the evening each night for years now. Once (or twice now) I was still awake 4 hours or so later and wondering why I wasn't sleepy. I look to my bottle and sure enough, the bottle is right side up meaning I hadn't taken it.

Don't know if this method would help you ~ turning the bottle is easy if you can remember to do it!!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            One thing that helps me - once I take a pill, I invert the bottle upside down.

Don't know if this method would help you ~ turning the bottle is easy if you can remember to do it!!
            I thought that I was the only one who did that . But you are correct - it works for me too. And it is always the 'take as needed' pills that get me.

Comment

Good idea!

I like the idea of inverting the pill bottle--while I am on medical leave from work, I am sure that will be helpful.

Maybe I'll get one of those morning, noon, night pill containers to carry my meds to and from work when I return.

Thanks Seasha!

Comment

I type it into a note pad on my computer of what I took but I really do need to invest in one of those pill containers.

Comment

Originally posted by agentonline82 View Post
                  I type it into a note pad on my computer of what I took but I really do need to invest in one of those pill containers.
                  The pill containers can be really helpful, if you don't take too many pills. I used to do that, and have still used that, sometimes, if I'm on a med short time.

But, long-term, the only med I take is Copaxone 40, and it's an injectible. However, I take a lot of supplements, and they wouldn't fit in one of those.

I write on the caps how many I need and what times of day I wish to take them. That works well for me instead of a morning, noon and night pill container.

I also like the idea of turning the pill bottles upside down after taking them. Then, I guess, every night before bed (or, every morning, after you get up, before taking any pills), you turn them all right-side up for beginning a new day.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Pill Containers and timers

I use two pill containers, one for prescription meds, and one really large one for supplements. I also set an alarm on my phone to mind me when it's time to take meds. Lately I have been setting a second alarm for 15 minutes later than the first one, that way I can check the containers again, just to make SURE I took them!
                    Echo
                    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

One strategy that I used recently, for vacation, and I decided to do it again this week --

I take lots of supplements. Most of them (7) need to be taken one time per day. They all look a little bit different from each other. ie: different color, or different shape, etc. So, I put one of each into a little kitchen container with a lid, and then I take one of each every day.

There are a few that need to be taken 2 or 3x per day. So, I leave them in their containers.

On all of them, I write with a sharpie marker on the lid, how many to take. Or, if there is a certain time of day or whatever, when to take it.

The supplements with oils in them (ie: Omega 3 fish oil, or Leptin), I keep in the refrigerator. Recommended by my supplement store guru.
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by KevsLuv View Post
                        Bad Attitude and Hunterd, thanks for your replies. I have set timers for most meds but I only take the Norco as needed. It's just so odd to me that I thought I took a pills only to discover hours later that I hadn't!

I will try the log idea as long as I can remember to log it. Lol I don't remember lots these days!
                        I totally can relate. Post it notes at work and an alarm to remind myself to read the post it note lol

Hugs to you.

Comment

I do that all the time. Taking 17 pills a day plus prn ones gets very confusing. I have my Sunday to Saturday pill container that I use but still have to go and look in it to remind myself if I took them or not. Sometimes I find and thought I didn't and vice versa. You are not alone.

Comment

I fill my regular medications pill sorter/boxes 1x per week. Each box has 3 compartments to sort morning, noon and early evening, and bedtime pills.

I have a second, duplicate "take as needed" 7-day set of boxes. I put minimum doses (only have 2 "as needed/breakthrough" scripts on hand) for each day. This way, I just go to the day of the week it is, if I need to take something. I also can't make a mistake this way.

I am careful as I take high doses of Lyrica, and a few other sedating meds. My breakthrough meds definitely compound the sedation of my everyday scripts.
                            I rarely take the breakthrough pills...maybe 4-5 days a year? I still keep the boxes filled so I stay organized.

I stubbornly refused to use a pill sorter for 2 years after I was dx'd. At the time I felt it was admitting I was ill (also made me feel old--lol--was only 35) I made lots of mistakes and forgot doses, etc. now I fill the sorters and get on with living.
                            RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                              The pill containers can be really helpful, if you don't take too many pills. I used to do that, and have still used that, sometimes, if I'm on a med short time.

But, long-term, the only med I take is Copaxone 40, and it's an injectible. However, I take a lot of supplements, and they wouldn't fit in one of those.

I write on the caps how many I need and what times of day I wish to take them. That works well for me instead of a morning, noon and night pill container.

I also like the idea of turning the pill bottles upside down after taking them. Then, I guess, every night before bed (or, every morning, after you get up, before taking any pills), you turn them all right-side up for beginning a new day.
                              Taking a lot of supplements is a challenge on vacations. I don't want to take all of the bottles and the pills don't fit in a pill sorter.

This time, I have eight different supplements that I take both in the morning and at noon. They are all different colors/appearances. So, I put them all in one bag, I write down which color is which (not necessary, but just for my knowledge), and I take out the 8 different pills for each of those meals. I take some different things at supper time, so I have them in a separate bag.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X