Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIET for MS - question

Hello,
    I am new to all this MS related topics. Freshly DX, lots of questions and confusions.
    I have been reading about different types of diets, healthy ideas, that might help to slow down the progression of MS, or do good for hour health in general.

We are eating pretty healthy in general. My wife cooks every day, almost no processed food, home made, old style kitchen. However, when I read about the different diets I get very confused.

For ex. PALEO diet is ok with meat- Mc Dougal eliminates meat.
    PALEO says NO to dairy, so is McDougal, but Swank is allowing low fat dairy.

Most diets recommends fisf, Omega 3, but McDougall says no to fish.

Do you have an explanation. What is good and what should I avoid?

Thank you

in my experience, none of them made a noticeable difference. But, I will say that healthy = overall feeling better (as far as my experience).
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Bosman --

I've tended to have some of the same questions as you do. I also wonder how such different dietary strategies can be recommended.

I tend to believe that a healthy diet, in general, is a good idea but I don't stress about the specific diets. I went on a weight loss diet about 4 or 5 years ago and lost 60 pounds and the weight loss (went from a size 22 to a size 6 -- I'm now at a size 10) helped things like my balance (a lot!) and my fatigue (a little).

While changing my diet during that phase, I noticed that, when I cut down on carbs, I was also naturally cutting way back on gluten. Intestinal symptoms that I'd currently assumed were MS-related ended up being related to a gluten intolerance. I now eat much less gluten, especially if the product also has yeast in it, and my frequent diarrhea has disappeared.

Gluten intolerances tend to be fairly common in those of us who have MS, or other auto-immune diseases, so that might be dietary change you might want to look into. I don't need to eat gluten-free, as some folks do. I also don't eat low-carb, just different carbs; I obtain most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables rather than grains. Oatmeal is a good way to start my mornings though. And I don't care for gluten-free products sold in stores. I just tend to eat a lot of meat and fruits and vegetables.

You might want to experiment -- either with my suggestions, or with some of the diets. Try things out for a week or two or longer and see how you feel with various diets. Then make your own decision. I suspect that we're all somewhat different, even if we all have MS, and there may not be a "one diet fits all" solution.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Like Mamabug I inadventently discovered I have Non Celiac gluten sensitivity when I started experimenting with my diet to try to help myself. Nowadays people know with one look at me that I've been eating gluten - red cheeks and puffiness.

If you are after some reading material to get another perspective on this diet conundrum, check out grain brain by Dr David Perlmutter.

As has already been mentioned, gluten intolerances etc do seem to be common among MSers and a school of thought amongst some researchers is that untreated allergies/intolerances, genetic susceptibility and stress are responsible for kicking off MS in people. My computer is playing up at the moment so I can't access the research paper, otherwise I'd post a link. I don't know whether this is correct or not, but it's certainly an interesting theory. One can only hope that eventually the medical people will sort all this out for us.

Best wishes

Poppy

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

I tend to believe that a healthy diet, in general, is a good idea but I don't stress about the specific diets.
          Mamabug- thank you for your advises . I try to eat healthy. The only thing I eliminated is dairy . I increased Omega 3 intake and still learn about nutrition and diet effect on our body.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post

If you are after some reading material to get another perspective on this diet conundrum, check out grain brain by Dr David Perlmutter.
            I will for sure! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by bosman View Post
              Mamabug- thank you for your advises . I try to eat healthy. The only thing I eliminated is dairy . I increased Omega 3 intake and still learn about nutrition and diet effect on our body.

You're welcome. I'm glad you mentioned dairy. Gluten, dairy, soy and corn have a bad reputation as causing dietary concerns in many people.
              • I don't avoid dairy in general (I consume cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and occasional ice cream), but I don't drink cow's milk. I use almond milk for my Cheerios or my oatmeal in the mornings.
              • I consume very little corn products and I avoid soy.

Again, as I said in an earlier post, I don't subscribe to or follow any one of the specific diets, for MS, but I've kind of created my own. And, even my own diet isn't "all or nothing". I just cut way back on the things that I avoid, but, I don't worry about whether one of those ingredients is in something else someone else might have prepared.

I take some daily supplements (Omega 3, Lecithin, Vitamin D3) and some occasional supplements, that I don't always take daily because I don't want to pop so many pills.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I just wrote on another MS message board about what I have experienced since I cut out Dairy and Gluten from my diet. Both, I found out, causes inflammation. Inflammation is a downer for MSer's

I have had ms since 1997. I've used a cae, I've had to use a scooter to get around to places like Disneyland and Shopping malls. I was in so much pain I was really doped up with Neurontin and Codeine. My energy was so low I was on another drug for energy. etc. Then one day I was having a hard time swallowing... I was told to get off of gluten. So I did. That solved that problem, but I also notice after a while I started feeling better in other areas... Then I was told to go off of Dairy to see if that helps. So I did, after about three months I noticed the pain I experienced for years was almost gone. WHAT? So my neurologist helped me get off all my pain medications. I felt really good.

Th.en for one year I went vegetarian only (to clean out my liver and kidneys from all the medications I had been on). I noticed I could walk further. I no longer needed a cane or a scooter to go distances. I slowly rid myself of all medications except for Tecfidera (which I started two years ago) and my Synthroid (for thyroid). Five medications I was able to quit! It took time and determination... but I can honestly say now... I feel better now than I have EVER felt. I slowly added turkey/chicken/fish to my diet. I no longer eat beef or pork (to hard to digest and can cause inflammation). I did start exercising every day on either the Treadmill or stationary bike.
                I lost about 30 pounds in a year, and find I can do so much more than I have ever been able to before.

I do take herbs instead of vitamins, but try to eat as naturally as possible (organically). My daughter is a foot zonologist, so I have been blessed that she works on me to "Reboot" me every week. But all in all... I can honestly say at the Age of 65 I am better now than I have ever been since I was diagnosed.

To prove this, last week my family and I went to Las Vegas and we walked six miles in one day in the heat, and I was able to keep up with them!!! They were so proud of me and very excited.

So I think Diet has a BIG ROLE in MS. At least from my experience. I've met other MS'ers that have also switched from gluten and dairy that are doing really well too.

Comment

Diet can make a big difference for most MSers.

Diet can make a big difference for most MSers, but like DMDs not every diet works for every MSers.

I firmly believe that every person needs to create their own diet base on their unique blend of health needs and TASTE!

For MS anti-inflammation is a basic need we all share, but how to best get that changes.
                  I find using

Very helpful in learning what to reduce and increase in your diet.
                  You want to create a diet that you can stay with and enjoy for life, so don’t try switching everything all at once.
                  Switch one or two things and when comfortable with those changes, switch a few more items.

Some changes I have done that I enjoy and feel better with are;
                  old > new
                  white potato > sweet potato
                  Soda > tea
                  Sugar > Spices!
                  orange juice > Carrot Juice
                  raisin > Nuts
                  2% milk > silk vanilla almond milk
                  Meat as main dish > fish or lean meat as side dish

*URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**
                  Last edited by Kimba22; 08-08-2016, 02:23 PM.
                  Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Working...
                  X