new diagnosis at 65...MS, not Fibro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new diagnosis at 65...MS, not Fibro

Have been reading the forums since getting diagnosed a couple of months ago, and thought it was time to introduce myself...

I was dx'd with fibromyalgia in 1995. Started with a "mystery illness " that lasted a month, caused pain, flu-like symptoms, and extreme fatigue and didn't respond to any of the antibiotics prescribed. After I was finally able to get up off the couch again, would have bouts of those symptoms again, especially before major weather changes. Saw a rheumatologist and was dx'd with fibro. I work in health care and would get to hear others describe their fibro symptoms...and they rarely sounded like mine, especially because my symptoms would come on strong, but when they were gone, they were truly gone. Then, after a full year of NO fibro symptoms, I had a wierd attack in which my leg refused to respond to my mind, and my eyes started doing a weird "stop action" thing, which led to the MRI, which led to finally being dx'd with MS at the ripe old age of 65. The 'funny' thing is, that I lived with someone with MS for several years, and I kept saying "Are you sure you don't have fibro, because your symptoms sound just like mine."

Duh...the reverse never even occurred to me.
    I'll be starting Tysabri next month.
    So thank you for all the help your posts have given me while I was trying to wrap my head around this new diagnosis...and how the symptoms have seemed to have speeded up in the past six months. Think I am finally out of denial and into acceptance...

Hi and welcome!
    In most cases I think fibro is a weak diagnosis so although I'm not glad you have MS I'm glad you found out and are able to attempt to treat it.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Hi avlshrink and welcome! Glad you introduced yourself, but sorry you have MS like the rest of us. It's so great, however, to have this place to whine and cry on each others shoulders as well as share joys and achievements and give each other much needed support and information when we can.

The doctors thought I had fibro too (among other conditions) earlier on before my dx, but my dx proved differently. I wonder if this mysterious illness for you was MS all along like me? Seems common enough for others as well.

I hope Tysabri works well for you! Let us know how it goes.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X