Antibiotic Resistent UTIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antibiotic Resistent UTIs

I've been at this MS game for about 20 years and have had my share of UTIs. I take all the precautions, use D-Mannose, Methenamine, Doxazosin to improve emptying, probiotics, drink tons of water, unsweetened cranberry juice, etc...yet they still happen. Sometimes I'll go a year without one, and then the next six months have them pop up almost back to back. There is no rhyme or reason, to the period of times I've had them versus when I haven't, so what's there to do but be thankful when they're not around, and deal with it when they are. I have also developed allergies to many antibiotics, but up until recently the culture would show the UTI was susceptible to Keflex or Amoxicillin.

I always make sure to get a culture, I've been with my present urologist for about a year (my long standing urologist retired at the beginning of the year.) This urologist is very thorough. They only will do a culture if they do a straight cath, so I know the culture results I'm getting aren't skewed, and they're good about fitting you in for a specimen on the same day you call.

Over the past few months, I've had 2 infections that were antibiotic resistant to everything but
    one antibiotic. Gentamicin was needed for the first infection, and the only way to get that is through an IV or shot...I opted for the shot.

Then about a month later, another UTI and when the culture came back it was resistant to all antibiotics except one, and it was one that I was never allowed to take because I had had a
    severe reaction to another antibiotic in that family. (I had a severe arrhythmia reaction to Levaquin...fortunately I was in a hospital at the time of the reaction...so they would never let me take Cipro)...this culture said Cipro was the med I should take.

The urologist had called me with the news about the resistance and told me to go to the ER, I called my wonderful GP just to let them know what was going on, and he just admitted me...no ER visit needed. An infectious disease doc, my urologist, my GP all consulted and over the course of a the day they all decided trying the Cipro first was the way to go (then the pharmacist had to be convinced to let me take it.) The hope was the med I take for SVT would suppress the arrhythmia reaction I had had before.

Good news was that after two IVs of Cipro, I was able to come home and take oral (my husband had to enlighten the pharmacist, who didn't want to give me the Cipro because my reaction to Levaquin was on file.)

So I've been spending time with Mr. Google, and it seems like this is a real problem now...for all women, MS or not. MS symptoms can be exacerbated by a UTI, so it can affect us more...I personally don't get normal symptoms when I have a UTI, so I test for one when my MS symptoms flare.

From all I read, the damage has already been done...because we don't have a lot of new antibiotics on hand, the population is aging, UTIs are becoming more prevalent. And as with all bacteria, they are "smart" and are becoming resistant. There's a lot of information about the problem and I found it interesting reading, unsettling though.

Not much to add, I just wanted to pass on the info.

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
    From all I read, the damage has already been done...because we don't have a lot of new antibiotics on hand, the population is aging, UTIs are becoming more prevalent. And as with all bacteria, they are "smart" and are becoming resistant. There's a lot of information about the problem and I found it interesting reading, unsettling though.

This is a scary report from the BBC, how we are moving in to an era when anti-biotics may not be effective. Scares the heck outta me. I am also a frequent flyer with UTI's and would be screwed without a way to treat them.
    The over use of drugs for things that are totally treatable without anti-biotic intervention has created a situation where we may just paint our selves in to a corner.
    Jim S.

Comment

Forgot the link...to BBC article

Jeez, I forgot the link I was referring to ...
      sorry!

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857015
      Jim S.

Comment

thank you bothfor all the information!
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

It is scary. I've never had a UTI until last week. Negative culture before steroids (midst of a relapse now) then starting having symptoms after first dose. New culture showed a multi drug resistant UTI. Also, only one antibiotic sensitive which is only given iv. We are trying a "cousin" antibiotic but nine days later symptoms getting worse again. Heading back to Doctor. Crazy. I'm never on antibiotics last time probably more than ten years ago. Most likely being a nurse has made me acquire some resistances. It's very hard for patients to recover from these infections.

Comment

Originally posted by AriD View Post
            It is scary. I've never had a UTI until last week. Negative culture before steroids (midst of a relapse now) then starting having symptoms after first dose. New culture showed a multi drug resistant UTI. Also, only one antibiotic sensitive which is only given iv. We are trying a "cousin" antibiotic but nine days later symptoms getting worse again. Heading back to Doctor. Crazy. I'm never on antibiotics last time probably more than ten years ago. Most likely being a nurse has made me acquire some resistances. It's very hard for patients to recover from these infections.
            Another thing about UTIs that I don't think most urologists understand is they can affect our MS symptoms in a big way.

I have a baclofen pump, and if I think my spasticity has spiked and go in to get my dosage upped, the first thing they ask...do you have a UTI. The physiatrists know there can be a causal effect between the UTI and increased MS symptoms.

Comment

This is frightening. My mother and MIL both have chronic UTI's. My MIL just went thru 10 days of IV antibiotics and still has infection. My concern it that the urine may be contaminated before it even gets to the lab. I like the idea of the catheter for a "clean" test but I doubt either of them would want to do that.

Comment

Did the "cousin" antibiotic work for you? Sure hope it did.

Originally posted by AriD View Post

Comment

Yes it did. Thanks

Comment

UTIs

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                    I've been at this MS game for about 20 years and have had my share of UTIs. I take all the precautions, use D-Mannose, Methenamine, Doxazosin to improve emptying, probiotics, drink tons of water, unsweetened cranberry juice, etc...yet they still happen. Sometimes I'll go a year without one, and then the next six months have them pop up almost back to back. There is no rhyme or reason, to the period of times I've had them versus when I haven't, so what's there to do but be thankful when they're not around, and deal with it when they are. I have also developed allergies to many antibiotics, but up until recently the culture would show the UTI was susceptible to Keflex or Amoxicillin.

I always make sure to get a culture, I've been with my present urologist for about a year (my long standing urologist retired at the beginning of the year.) This urologist is very thorough. They only will do a culture if they do a straight cath, so I know the culture results I'm getting aren't skewed, and they're good about fitting you in for a specimen on the same day you call.

Over the past few months, I've had 2 infections that were antibiotic resistant to everything but
                    one antibiotic. Gentamicin was needed for the first infection, and the only way to get that is through an IV or shot...I opted for the shot.

Then about a month later, another UTI and when the culture came back it was resistant to all antibiotics except one, and it was one that I was never allowed to take because I had had a
                    severe reaction to another antibiotic in that family. (I had a severe arrhythmia reaction to Levaquin...fortunately I was in a hospital at the time of the reaction...so they would never let me take Cipro)...this culture said Cipro was the med I should take.

The urologist had called me with the news about the resistance and told me to go to the ER, I called my wonderful GP just to let them know what was going on, and he just admitted me...no ER visit needed. An infectious disease doc, my urologist, my GP all consulted and over the course of a the day they all decided trying the Cipro first was the way to go (then the pharmacist had to be convinced to let me take it.) The hope was the med I take for SVT would suppress the arrhythmia reaction I had had before.

Good news was that after two IVs of Cipro, I was able to come home and take oral (my husband had to enlighten the pharmacist, who didn't want to give me the Cipro because my reaction to Levaquin was on file.)

So I've been spending time with Mr. Google, and it seems like this is a real problem now...for all women, MS or not. MS symptoms can be exacerbated by a UTI, so it can affect us more...I personally don't get normal symptoms when I have a UTI, so I test for one when my MS symptoms flare.

I seem to be getting UTIs regularly and I take antibiotics. It is just so weird, all of a sudden I have this really disgusting discharge. No, for some reason, I have a sore spot (kinda has a white top on it like we got when we used to have acne). Now, I don't know whether I should go back to the urologist or go see a gynecologist? Does anybody know? Carol

Comment

Hi Carol,

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. Sounds like a trip to the gynecologist would be useful, at least that's where I'd start.

Comment

Working...
                      X