New diagnosis questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New diagnosis questions

Hi everyone! I don't post much but read everyone else's posts. I have been having symptoms of MS for 14 months. 3 "flare ups" since then. Everything else has been ruled out. My first MRI of the brain showed lesions suggestive of MS. I had no change in my second MRI in March. I had an MRI this past week and have an appt with my neurologist tomorrow. I work in the hospital where my family doctor works and he pulled up my MRI report for us to look at. This MRI shows several new small lesions scattered throughout the brain. I believe with this change, I will get the diagnosis of MS. Does anyone have an advice on questions I need to ask or advice on meds. We discussed them briefly at my last appt but without an actual diagnosis....all we did was talk He did mention Avonex. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hi Jenn,

Sorry to hear your MRI showed new lesions.

This may seem overwhelming, but if you are diagnosed, I hope you take some time to learn about all your options for a Disease Modifying Medications (DMTs) besides Avonex. There are drugs with higher efficacies, but with them come more risks. A newer train of thought is to treat this disease more aggressively from the start, to avoid as much damage as possible. There's still no way to fix it once it's occurred. But, there are people that respond well to Avonex. Unfortunately, there's no way to know beforehand. (Know you can also always change to another one later).

It may not seem this way, but in the long run, it won't make much difference if you wait a few weeks before deciding on a DMT. My neuroIogist insisted on that when I was diagnosed, and there were only 3 options back then. Here is some information for you:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...Drug-Selection

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ying-Therapies

Each insurance company has different coverage for these medications, which may limit your options. Mine covers Rebif (another interferon 1 A), not Avonex. There are also financial assistance programs available.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and please keep us posted.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

HI JENN, WELCOME TO MS WORLD!
      My best advice would be to write down all your questions in a notebook and take notes at your appointment. There are several different types of MS, see if you can get a definite idea of what your numerologist is thinking it might be. Make sure to include any and all of your different doctors appraised of the situation. Try to build up a support team as you will need one sooner or later. And the choice of which drugs that you take is entirely personal.
      I wish you nothing but the best
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
      X