Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applied Kinesiology and Rife Machines? Are these Legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied Kinesiology and Rife Machines? Are these Legit?

Hi, all. It's been a long time since I've posted in this forum, but I figure it's about time to get back on the horse. My wife has had MS since we met 16 yrs ago. Back then, she could walk unaided, and was RR. Now she is unsteady with a cane, uses a Segway to remain mobile, and is CP. Raising two kids and a husband has definitely hastened the effects of MS, in my opinion. Anyway, to get to the question at-hand. We've come to the point of desperation-mode, in that her "established medical treatment" is not really maintaining her anymore, and her health is steadily deteriorating. Consequently, we'd like to try some alternative therapies. To that end, we had a "consultation" with a doctor at a clinic that specializes in such things. Of course, he wasn't an MD, but a former chiropractor. We were referred to him by a friend who had good results regarding a non-MS-related health issue. He basically explained that MS is caused by antigens that have ignited the immune system, and by discovering what type of antigens they are, he can customize a protocol to destroy the antigens using supplements and a Rife machine. After that, he will customize a protocol of therapies using supplements and brain exercises to stimulate the body to create new neural pathways to bypass the sclerosis and restore function. The methods he will use to determine what the antigens are is to use Applied Kinesiology and a battery of saliva and blood tests. He was very confident that he could determine an antigen. So, for the low, low price of $4700, he could run all the tests to determine the antigens. After that, I suppose, he'll sell me a Rife machine and "prescribe" a bunch of supplements.

So, the questions are:

1) Has anyone had a similar experience at such a clinic?
    2) Has anyone tried Applied Kinesiology, and what were the results?
    3) Has anyone tried a Rife machine, and what were the results?

I don't mind spending the money if this stuff actually works. But, I'm pretty skeptical at this point. I would very much appreciate any comments anyone might have. Thanks!

Hi Bat21~

I'd put your money away and stay away the Rife machine. I don't normally put up links that aren't MS related, but you might be interested in these:

From Quackwatch - http://www.quackwatch.org/04Consumer...News/rife.html
    From Dr Andrew Weil - http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40110...-for-Rife.html

I'm very sorry your wife is having troubles. You sound like a loving husband ready to try anything to help her, but I'd stay away from anything that sounds questionable.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Some web searching will bring up a lot of information showing that the Rife machine is just quackery. You might even want to start searching at a site called Quackwatch. Rife machines and desperate people seem to go together.

Medical science is already aware of specific antigens associated with MS. You don't have to pay thousands of dollars to find out what they are, even if that were possible through the unproven methods alternative practitioners often like to use (because there's no way for you to disprove them without paying for even more tests through reputable sources).

The only way to "destroy" antigens is to wipe out the immune system that's making them. That's what chemotherapy does. It's the basis behind the new drug Lemtrada and the other chemotherapy drugs being used to treat MS. (In some cases, the drug treatment is followed by a stem cell transplant to help reboot the immune system with normal immune cells.) Without wiping out the immune system, it will just keep doing its job by making more antigens, no matter how many of them this purported "therapy" might eliminate. Your "alternative practitioner" is depending on the fact that you don't know that to convince you that he's going to do something special and miraculous and thereby justify taking your money.

As far as using brain and physical exercises to "bypass" damaged areas of the brain, it's called plasticity, and it's nothing that physical and occupational therapy -- and the brain itself -- aren't already able to do. You might do better by spending your money on trained therapy professionals that your medical insurance will pay for.

That established medical therapy isn't helping with secondary progressive MS doesn't mean that there's anything else out there that will help, either. If any of those "miracle" alternative methods actually worked, MS would have been wiped out a long time ago. The fact that it hasn't been should tell you all you need to know. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

If your wife would like to try an alternative therapy for maybe some symptom relief, you might want to look into acupuncture, which at least has some scientific validity. And you might also look into getting into a clinical trial that might offer a chance at a therapy with some actual scientific basis behind it.

As for the miracle alternative therapies, please do extensive research and then don't waste your money on them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised there was just two, however. It sure doesn't seem like many people are trying alternative therapies.....or maybe they've tried them, didn't get any results, and are too embarrassed to admit it! Who knows? All I know is that if something DID work, it would be all over the internet in about 2 seconds!

Anyway, we passed on the "treatments" offered at the clinic in question. I think the old adage "If it sounds too good to believe, then it probably is." probably holds true in this case.

The search continues.........

Comment

Check out George Jelinek´s site- he suggests meditation, a healthy diet- no dairy, no gluten, destressing, exercise, sunshine- vitamin D along with DMDs.

Comment

Working...
          X