Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst case scenario?

Hello there all,

My name is Callum Hurley and I'm only 24 years old, and within the past few months have begun having walking difficulties (due to what feels like stiffness in my right calf and ankle), some similar sensations in my right hand, and urinary issues (accompanied by what feel like spasms in my groin). I've had no visual problems at all.

Is it unusual to have this many problems and particularly urinary issues right from the offset? I can still walk fine but feel very unbalanced. Does this sound like Primary progressive MS? Did anybody else present like this and what happened afterwards? Am I going to become inevitably disabled/paralysed?

Callum

Hi Callum and welcome~ I sure you must feel very frightened and anxious right now with unknown things happening to your body. You just posted another thread http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ble-PPMS-at-24 i which others have replied to your same concerns.

I just want to reiterate the importance of seeing a Dr. as soon as possible! Your Dr. will want to run tests, including blood tests to determine what may be going on. And if needed, s/he will give you a referral to see a neurologist who will run further tests.

MS is sometimes very complicated to diagnose, being there are many mimics with the same symptoms. The "NOT KNOWING" seems to be the hardest place to be, we know...

Please see a Dr. as soon as possible! Something is happening to you, whether it is MS or not. If you had a friend or loved one with the same concerns, wouldn't you encourage them to do the same?

Please also take some deep breaths and try to relax - stress is not good for anyone.
    Take care now and make that phone call
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by CallumHurley View Post

Is it unusual to have this many problems and particularly urinary issues right from the offset? I can still walk fine but feel very unbalanced. Does this sound like Primary progressive MS? Did anybody else present like this and what happened afterwards? Am I going to become inevitably disabled/paralysed?
      Callum
      Hi Callum,
      Welcome to MSWorld. I wish you were not having difficulties, but this is a great place to become better informed and find a virtual home. Have you actually seen a neurologist or been diagnosed with MS? MS is a great mimicker of other disease/disorders so self-diagnosis is greatly discouraged.

- As for MS, it's not uncommon to have multiple presenting symptoms, especially during a flare up. Many times we overlook smaller signs or symptoms or may even be asymptomatic.

- MS really should be observed for a significant amount of time before ever assigning the Primary Progressive label. It's also fairly common that a neurologist may not assign the progressive label on a patient; allowing for treatment options that might otherwise be limited to Relapsing-Remitting patients.

- The majority of MS patients never become paralyzed. Each disease course is unique and with treatment most patients can positively impact the natural course of the disease.

- MS treatment options have essentially doubled in the past 5 years and many more treatments are on the horizon. I would expect MS to be greatly subdued, if not cured, in your lifetime. Heck, I'm twice your age and have great hopes for significant progress in the next several years.

- Worst case? Independent of what hardships you may face never lose sight of what blessings you do have. You cannot control tomorrow or next year. The reason they call right now the present is because it is a gift not to be overlooked.

Please ask any follow up questions that you may have. Try not to overwhelm yourself as anxiety and stress is not good for anyone. Give credence to Seasha's advice and try to enjoy your day as much as possible.

Comment

Hi Callum,
        I have PPMS and it is very difficult to deal with the constant changes that it presents. Marco and Seasha have given you very good advice. The primary points that I would emphasize are that you should try to limit any stressful situations whether on the internet browsing or any other way to get stressed. The other suggestion that has been offered suggests that you need to remember that today is 'the' present and 'a' present. It is difficult to do, but you need to think about the things that are important ' right now'. Let the future take care of itself. Good luck

G

Comment

Hi Callum:

The worst-case scenario is that the condition you obviously do have -- extreme anxiety -- causes you to do something rash and completely unnecessary.

It's your mental illness that's causing you to catastrophize about your physical symptoms, which you have said you haven't even done anything about.

No matter what happens with your physical symptoms, they're not to blame for why your life is in shambles right now. And you won't be able to deal with your physical symptoms until you get your anxiety -- and your life in general -- under control.

So before you catastrophize further and do something rash that would be a worst-case scenario, please do everything in your power to get an appointment with a mental health professional immediately.

The healthcare system in the UK is different than in the US. But here in the US, a statement to a medical professional that you have uncontrollable, unstoppable thoughts about your future based on your fears that are causing you to plan your own demise are enough to get you mental health care quickly.

I can imagine that you're no more inclined to get help for a mental illness than you have been for a possible physical illness. And that's an outcome of your anxiety. But no one on the Internet can help you by enabling your fears, which is what all of this talking about MS is doing. Please see a mental health professional as soon as possible.

Comment

to callum

I have ppms for all my life looking back. I am 65 now and fighting back each and every day.

I feel that a certain amount of anxiety, or what others percieve to be anxiety is normal for a person with your symptoms. I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.

My anxiety over the years, helps get me off the couch, and hit the weight room. My anxiety has helped me change my diet to a organic, sensible program. I feel that diet and exercise will help you with balance in your life.
            best to you going forward.

Comment

Working...
            X