MS fatigue related to diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS fatigue related to diet?

I have moderate to severe physical fatigue. Most commonly it occurs after lunch and I need to lie down and sleep for at least an hour. At first I cut out carbs at lunch. That doesn't seem to help. I have tried having just a small simple salad and fruit and that's not the answer. So I put off lunch as long as I can, which delays the fatigue by about 2 hrs. I usually feel a little better from 4pm-10pm

Does anyone know if eating triggers my afternoon fatigue? If not, any other thoughts on triggers?

Thank you so much!

Hi KarenNP

I too become fatigued after meals, but not the "sleepy" type of fatigue. (Maybe because I have coffee with meals?)

After eating, I get the physical weakness type of fatigue. It lasts about an hour, give or take.

My diet is very light, composed of nutritionally sound foods.

But here's something that I've learned, thanks to your question:

Energy is required for the ingestion and digestion of food, along with the absorption, transport, and oxidation of nutrients. These metabolic processes increase heat production and oxygen consumption. (I found this info by looking up human energy requirements)

I am very heat sensitive - any increase in my body temperature (even a slight one) will weaken me. (Are you heat sensitive?) I notice that when I turn a fan on, or open the window, or turn the air conditioner up higher (depending on the season) while I eat, will oftentimes help me feel less fatigued.

And too, I am just flat out easily fatigued. Maybe the energy required for the preparation, ingestion, and digestion of food is enough to trigger a temporary increase in fatigue? It doesn't take much

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you KoKo

HI KoKo
      I am moderately heat sensitive. I will try your suggestions

In the past two days, I talked to my neurologist as well as the tecfidara nurse support team. They do to have any info on fatigue and tec.
      Maybe my fatigue is not related to eating (although I will definitely try your suggestions). On another blog i read where people get fatigue while on tec - usually the same time every day. If I find an answer I will definitely let you know!
      Thank you KoKo
      Karen

Comment

KarenNP

On another blog i read where people get fatigue while on tec - usually the same time every day.
        Oh, so maybe Tec is the culprit. (I don't know much about the Tec medication) In that case, maybe just temporary?

Let's hope so!

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Your basal body temperature naturally rises in the afternoon, so it could be that that is why you're feeling fatigued, rather than you food causing it.

Koko had some good ideas there about increasing the air con etc. I think iced drinks are good too, even just chilled water, or putting a rotary fan on and pointed at you. I've always had severe fatigue, tecfidera or not, so if I have the chance I just lie down for 30 minutes and sleep. It's excellent to help get me through the afternoon. I only work 2 days a week so I bring in a small foam disc to lay my head on, lie on the floor in a yoga pose and bring in a light blanket. I lock the door, set my alarm and 30 minutes later, I am ready for another few hours of work. Oh and a coffee at 2pm helps a lot too.

Fatigue is the pits. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Guzzy View Post
            Your basal body temperature naturally rises in the afternoon, so it could be that that is why you're feeling fatigued, rather than you food causing it. .
            Oh, good point. I didn't realize that!

Originally posted by Guzzy View Post
            I think iced drinks are good too, even just chilled water,
            Yes, cold drink definitely helps - I forgot to mention that. Thanks Guzzy.

Take Care

Comment

I keep my diet quite healthy b/c I've noticed that I feel better overall when I eat a diet that's based on fish, veggies, berries, nuts and fruit. However if I get fatigue, I get it even if I've eaten well. It's possible that I get fatigue less often when I eat well... I'm not sure.

I do eat chocolate almost every day, and I'm not going to stop it, no matter what I feel it's important to treat myself.

There is one thing that has helped with my fatigue, and it's drinking a lot of water. I get exhausted much quicker if I haven't drank enough water. I've actually kept a diary on fatigue and water intake and found that there really is a connection.

I've noticed that I get a bit chilly if I drink a lot of cold water, so I heat up the water in the microwave, not until it boils, but just to make it warmer. I drink plain water, no lemon in it or tea leaves etc...

Comment

Working...
              X