hello from Montalto in Tuscany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello from Montalto in Tuscany

My wife and I are now in a small B&B near Sienna (or as it is written here Siena) enjoying, beautiful scenery, Medieval buildings, good food good wine and over a dozen talented amateur musicians playing chamber music quartets, quintets and possibly trios. The main buildings are old, some foundations may be 1000 years old. On days off from music we've visited old villages including Cortona near where Peter Mayle, author of several books about living in Tuscany reportedly lives. Cortona is HILLY with many lanes having a cross slope, and my little three wheel TravelScoot didn't feel safe at all times.

Besides Cortona the paths and one lane dirt roads at the B&B are possibly older than the foundations and not designed for those of us who often use canes or scooters, so the scooter sits in the car and I've been using a pair of forearm canes to get around.

I am very happy that what I've been thinking for years is arthritis in my right hip (the leg that works a lot better than my left) is a lot less noticeable than it was in sunny California where I get about two hours a week of indoor recumbent exer-cycling.

Walking isn't easy for me, fortunately at 66 I still have some upper body strength so have been able to go up and down tough routes, though after a 11 hour day trip including a long staircase down, under, and up to get from one train track to the bus, I was exhausted. After a rest day I'm mostly recovered.

Now it is time to head to a pot luck dinner before the sun sets.

It's wonderful to read your post from your Tuscany vacation/trip. It is possible for some of us with MS to travel the world. For some of us, it would be a great accomplishment to go to a fast food drive thru ! Happy to read your post ! Wish you continued good times !

Comment

Sounds beautiful! I love Tuscan food...I hope you are dining especially well. It is nice to be reminded that the world and experience aren't closed with a diagnosis of MS.

I've been to Europe about a dozen times, but my husband has never traveled outside US/Canada. One of these days...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Enjoy the music
      RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

We are dining well

Originally posted by KateA2 View Post
        Sounds beautiful! I love Tuscan food...I hope you are dining especially well. It is nice to be reminded that the world and experience aren't closed with a diagnosis of MS.

I've been to Europe about a dozen times, but my husband has never traveled outside US/Canada. One of these days...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Enjoy the music
        Kate,

We are having a fine time, dinner has been delicious just about every day, those few days we dine with the musicians - they are great company - have been very enjoyable and today my wife drove us to Montalcino for lunch. We had planned to visit a restaurant in Piazza Matteoti, but my scooter couldn't handle the steep inclines. Wife went looking and found an Enoteca (wine bar) near the parking lot and we had one of our best meals ever!

The waiter's English was excellent and his friendliness, warmth and expertise got him a 10.

The food was superb; we had a delicious Brunecello made from local red grapes. My meal was tagliatelli seasoned with dried, pressed fish eggs and olive oil. Wife had a ossobuco, both were superb. We shared a baba rum for dessert, she had espresso, I had coffee Americain, and finished it off with a grappa that was better than any brandy, cognac, etc .. WOW!

It is lots of fun spending our children's inheritances!

Comment

I am a very fortunate man

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          It's wonderful to read your post from your Tuscany vacation/trip. It is possible for some of us with MS to travel the world. For some of us, it would be a great accomplishment to go to a fast food drive thru ! Happy to read your post ! Wish you continued good times !
          Jerry,

Thanks for your good wishes.

I hope you will be able to get out on a regular basis in the not too distant future.

Your note reminds me that all too many of us are broke, home bound, stuck in our houses, apartments, and unfortunately nursing homes.

I wish it were very different, wish insurers, Medicare and Medicaid would be freer with funds for scooters, physical therapy, massage and aides.

I'm the 2nd generation son of immigrants, my parents ran out of money most months before the month ended; good luck, the National Science Foundation, and their insistent demand that I use my limited intelligence to do well academically and my bosses' inability to recognize that I was faking it have made my life more financially successful than I imagined.

Now if I'd had enough sense to avoid crazy women ...

Comment

Hmm! I've read about the dried fish eggs as an ingredient (tuna roe I think?) but never tried it...darn now I have a craving for that pressed Swedish caviar that comes in a tube (sounds awful but it's not) with loads of butter and angel hair.

We love grappa--have found quite a few good ones (despite it's rough reputation). Thanks for the delightful descriptions.
            RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
            X