Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really necessary to seek help for sexual issues in MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it really necessary to seek help for sexual issues in MS?

I've read several different articles and blogs recently in which the author stresses the importance of consulting your doctor for sexual issues if you have MS, although not one has explained why.

I do not understand this advice. Is it because developing these issues can be indicative of your disease course? Is it because sex is considered therapeutic for people with MS, and therefore we should try to engage in it as much as possible?

I honestly do not know if I have these issues. I am alone and do not have a sex life. Wouldn't I just be inviting trouble by talking to my doctor about these possible issues if they do not apply to me? All I need is to find out that my MS problems are worse than I thought!
    Holly

Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner.
    - The Replacements

Depends what the problem is. An obvious example is if it's painful sex bc then it could be an issue with your pelvic floor muscles, and even if you have no interest in sex at the moment you still might want to see a physical therapist bc these issues could get worse and affect bowel/bladder later on. This is just one example.

I think we're all wired to have some form of sex - whatever's available/feasible. Ha, feasible - how sexy. So lack of desire could obv be some form of depression.

Our brains could use all the help they can get - endorphins, dopamine or whatever. But is it necessary? Not in my opinion. I'm curious to hear what others say.

Comment

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
      I'm curious to hear what others say.
      Me too . . . (crickets chirping)

Your post was helpful - thanks!
      Holly

- The Replacements

Comment

I had a session with my talk doc yesterday where we talked about this basic issue.

In short (if possible), we humans need intimacy and relations with others. Note that "intimacy" does not mean "sex", necessarily. Touch is a very important thing. It can provide feelings of personal worthiness and comfort.

Of course, if you're not into those things, starting when things already aren't working, and you're good with that, could just be an awkward journey. In my case (38 year old male) the last couple of years have been awkward by themselves, so I need to look into alternate options instead of just giving up on physical closeness.

...that's me, though. Best of luck finding what you want or need.

Comment

Originally posted by headrift View Post
          I had a session with my talk doc yesterday where we talked about this basic issue.

In short (if possible), we humans need intimacy and relations with others. Note that "intimacy" does not mean "sex", necessarily. Touch is a very important thing. It can provide feelings of personal worthiness and comfort.

Of course, if you're not into those things, starting when things already aren't working, and you're good with that, could just be an awkward journey. In my case (38 year old male) the last couple of years have been awkward by themselves, so I need to look into alternate options instead of just giving up on physical closeness.

...that's me, though. Best of luck finding what you want or need.
          I was specifically asking about sexual issues, (not intimacy or physical closeness) and why I, as a non-sexually active widow, would be advised to consult a doctor about the possibility of having those issues.

Now I wonder if I should instead seek psychological help because I didn't seek another sexual partner after my husband died.
          Holly

- The Replacements

Comment

Sorry, missed what you were saying.

I also didn't have the full situation. If you are at or near menopause, the sex probably doesn't mean anything for you. The closeness might, though. Psychological help probably isn't needed either, as long as you're not depressed about your husband or anything else.

Comment

Sorry, missed what you were saying.

I also didn't have the full situation. If you are at or near menopause, the sex probably doesn't mean anything for you. The closeness might, though. Psychological help probably isn't needed either, as long as you're not depressed about your husband or anything else.
              Thanks, headrift. Closeness is important to me, and I am glad I have it. I'm also glad I'm nowhere near menopause anymore, but curious what you think that has to do with any of this.
              Holly

- The Replacements

Comment

My girlfriend had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago at 43. Her sex drive dropped off about as fast as mine has in that time. Her and I are at about at the same point now. We just need to adapt to a non-sex lifestyle.

I understand that menopause doesn't mean "no sex forever" so you might have a head start on that adaptation. Just saying that it does seem to have a bearing on sex life. *shrug*

Comment

My girlfriend had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago at 43. Her sex drive dropped off about as fast as mine has in that time. Her and I are at about at the same point now. We just need to adapt to a non-sex lifestyle.

I understand that menopause doesn't mean "no sex forever" so you might have a head start on that adaptation. Just saying that it does seem to have a bearing on sex life. *shrug*
                  I am genuinely sorry to hear that. My libido actually increased when I went through menopause 16 years ago, so that has no bearing on my celibacy now.

Extramarital sex just isn't for me.
                  Holly

- The Replacements

Comment

Old thread so sorry if I am late to the party.

Sexual issues can be indicative of problems with MS so yes tracking them can help with tracking disease progression. The other issue is many people don't want to talk about sexual issues and might just chalk it up to MS and not talk with anyone. Then it turns out it was a non-related issue and you are causing harm by ignoring it.

I had an issue a few years ago that I just chalked up as meh it's MS making my life suck again. Turns out it was related one of the meds I was on. I didn't talk to the doctor about it until it got to the point where it nearly ruined my marriage. Then I finaly talked with the doctor about it and we found the problem. Everything is working mostly well now. (I'm a 40 year old dude with MS mostly well is good these days )

I think the instructions to talk to your doctor about them are because so few people want to. So I guess it depends on you, if you don't think there is anything to talk to the doc about don't but if you think you might have an issue be it MS or something else do. Just be healthy.
                    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
                    X