cathing after spinal fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cathing after spinal fusion

I had most of my spine fused 6 weeks ago (T3 to sacrum). Severe scoliosis was the reason. Now I cannot self-cath so I have an indwelling catheter since 2 weeks after surgery. Uhg.
    Does anyone have experience with self-cathing when you can't bend over, even a little? I am picturing using a mirror propped on a wedge but fear my arms aren't long enough to reach down that far for good access.
    (prior to surgery I was self-cathing every 2-3 hours when awake and working full time, no ambulatory issues)
    Thanks (I am healing well though!)

Originally posted by ajmarsh View Post
    I had most of my spine fused 6 weeks ago (T3 to sacrum). Severe scoliosis was the reason. Now I cannot self-cath so I have an indwelling catheter since 2 weeks after surgery. Uhg.
    Does anyone have experience with self-cathing when you can't bend over, even a little? I am picturing using a mirror propped on a wedge but fear my arms aren't long enough to reach down that far for good access.
    (prior to surgery I was self-cathing every 2-3 hours when awake and working full time, no ambulatory issues)
    Thanks (I am healing well though!)
    Wow!!! That is a predicament. Those foley caths are not fun, imo...I had one for a couple weeks after a surgery and ended up with a very bad infection from it, so be careful. Well wishes too on healing from your fusion.

I thought about it, and wondered if your best bet might be trying to cath into a container while in a reclining position (you'd probably be wise to put a waterproof pad down.) They have mirrors with lights that attach to your leg which would make it easier to see the area, and if you were reclining on a wedge (while in bed) or even in a recliner chair...I think it could be accomplished because you wouldn't need to bend your back, just your head, and in a reclining position your arms would be long enough to reach the area. Best of luck to you and hopes for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Working...
    X