Which neuropsych tests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which neuropsych tests?

Have ins. coverage to get neuropsych testing. Which are the ones done for MSers?
    Have some cog issues and want them documented- still working, but worried.

Is this 'really' the place to ask about neuropsychology ? I mean, a psychologist has about 6 years of college education, maybe more. Then there is education and training in a 'sub specialty' ! Maybe, another 2 years of college ! Do you think that you will get a better answer from someone on this board or directly from the neuropsych that will be performing the tests ? Good luck

Comment

I'm not sure if there are separate neuropsychological exams designed just for MS patients. Mostly this test will help determine your brains abilities such as memory, concentration, ability to process information, etc.

I had this test done years ago to help me gain disability ins (SSDI) My test lasted about 5 hours, but I've read that others tested for a couple hours.

Here's an article from the Cleveland Clinic that outlines what it is, what the test involves and why it is done http://my.clevelandclinic.org/servic...al-evaluations

It's good to get this done so you'll have a baseline for the future.
      Good luck!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha, thanks for the link.

Jerry, jeesh, I´m asking so I can do some reading before the appt. Don´t quite understand the hostility in your response. This forum includes many folks who are more up to date on the latest MS research than the professionals. Your sarcasm was not appreciated.

I´m looking for a baseline measurement as I know things have changed and I know I´ll documentation.

Comment

Hi Temagami,

When I had neuropsych testing there was a wide range of tests. I had 3 appointments; the first was giving information about medical history, personal history, ect, second appointment was for testing, and the third appointment was for results.

I would suggest, if possible, have someone who can drive you home. At least for me, I was mentally exhausted after 4 hours of testing.

Best wishes and good luck!
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I know I always shoot from the hip. Sorry if my response sounds sarcastic. I mean no 'ill will' . I am simply pointing out that although the MSers on this board may have had this kind of specialized testing, a 'bona fide' neuropsychologist should explain what to expect. Good luck Get studying for the test ! lol

Comment

You may be interested in checking out Neuropsychological Assessment by Muriel D. Lezak and colleagues. Great textbook discussing the available neuropsych tests across many conditions including MS.
              Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
              UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

changes with cognition

Ok every one im really worried. There has been alot of scary changes going on with me , first off my memory seems to be getting worse , also my concetration is not so well. When others are talking around me its like im out there and im confused and lost on what they are saying and they can be standing right next to me and talking.

Another major issue for me is getting lost and not remebering where i am or where i need to go , that happened to me in the store the other day , i went to go grosery shopping and my husband was with me and all the sudden i just froze up with confusion and i was lost on where i needed to go and where it was and what i needed to get . my husband said well you have a grocery list with you in your hand , i even forgot to look at that and when i did i was confused on that . It is real scary .

My word finding is also getting worse i have to sit a few seconds or a minute and try to find the right words i want to say it is like its always on the tip of my tounge .

Does anyone else experience all this? And what should i do? Its getting worse does it mean a new lesion ? Could it mean a relapse? How do you guys handle this scary stuff ?

Comment

Hi daraslyte,

I have experienced what you are describing and the reason I had neuropsych testing. Memory loss, confusion, unable to drive because I would get lost in familiar areas, and some other issues were all due to a medication, a Statin.

You should probably discuss this with your Neurologist to get his opinion and see if he recommends any testing.

Take care
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                    Hi daraslyte,

I have experienced what you are describing and the reason I had neuropsych testing. Memory loss, confusion, unable to drive because I would get lost in familiar areas, and some other issues were all due to a medication, a Statin.

You should probably discuss this with your Neurologist to get his opinion and see if he recommends any testing.

Take care
                    May i ask whats a statin? and are you saying snoopy that all the stuff you were experiencing due to the medicine ? I take tecfidera, tizanidine , gabapentin. i also take allegra but im sure they dont have ayhting to do with the cognition stuff or could they?

Comment

Hi daraslyte,

Statins are medications to treat high cholesterol. It was due to what I described in my other post that I was referred for neuropsych testing. The extreme nature of my decline was due to the statin, the statin was stopped and I slowly started to see improvement.

I don't know, without researching your medication side effects, if any of your medications could cause what you are currently dealing with. Please take some time and research the side effects of your medications. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...formation.html

It is also possible to be your MS and talking with your Neurologist would be a good idea.
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                        Is this 'really' the place to ask about neuropsychology ? I mean, a psychologist has about 6 years of college education, maybe more. Then there is education and training in a 'sub specialty' ! Maybe, another 2 years of college ! Do you think that you will get a better answer from someone on this board or directly from the neuropsych that will be performing the tests ? Good luck
                        Ummm....geez.
                        Yes, this is a place to ask! Good grief.
                        Keep on truckin, OP.

Comment

Thanks for the info- still working on getting approval from ins. co. - conveniently, one of their employees gave me misguided information on filling out a non-participating provider form and I´m now in week 4 of a pending status. I do find the irony in have someone with a neurological condition wend her way through a sea of paperwork. They have the nerve to put a deadline on the request after which the request is considered void. OMG- onward.

Comment

Here´s some updated info- my ins. co. finally approved out of network coverage for this. The coverage includes the verbiage: Neuropsychological Testing (EG, HALSTEAD-REITAN BATTERY, WECHSLER MEMORY SCALES AND WISCONSIN SORTING TEST)

So here´s the caveat- my neurologist referred me to the psychologist who says that he does not do all of those tests. Hmmm- tomorrow I go to talk with him and not necessarily do any testing.

Jerry, guess that means that the experts are not the experts on MS testing and had I known ahead of time which tests to ask about, I could have asked him if he did indeed do those tests.

Next question would be, do the tests that my ins. co. cover actually apply to MS?

Take care,
                            Temagami

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                              The coverage includes the verbiage: Neuropsychological Testing (EG, HALSTEAD-REITAN BATTERY, WECHSLER MEMORY SCALES AND WISCONSIN SORTING TEST)

Next question would be, do the tests that my ins. co. cover actually apply to MS?

Take care,
                              Temagami
                              Not sure if you had your testing then, but to my knowledge, these are general tests, not specific to MS. They are designed to identify cognitive performance/impairment in any population.

These tests are usually administered by a neuropsychiatrist, not a general psychiatrist.

How did things go?
                              Kathy
                              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                              X