Nervous about trying Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous about trying Copaxone

I'm was on Tec for 2 1/2 years but came off when my WBC count became too low and I was getting sick (pneumonia twice this summer). Before that I was on Avonex. I was happy not to do the injections but it looks like I'll be back to them with Copaxone. I see my neuro on Thursday after a few months off to clear the Tec out of my system. My concern is all the injection site reactions I'm reading about here. I'm a small person-5'4" and just over 100lbs-and I'm a little anxious about the these reactions. I've been feeling great for the part six weeks or so after two years of muscle pains that may have been due to the Tec. I'm tempted to quit DMDs entirely but I promised my husband I'd try it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've been on Copaxone 3 years with no real problems. A lot of people have been. You'll probably be just fine.

I'd like to quit DMDs all together too...but the more you read about MS, the more you find that's a really bad idea. I kind of think of Copaxone as the next best thing since it seems to have the fewest side effects.

Comment

Been on for almost 6 months

I take the 3x per week copaxone. I have worked with Shared Solutions and my doctor extensively on the places to give myself the shot and the depth I use with the Autoject. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about injection site options. Shared Solutions sticks to the grid but your doctor can give you other ideas. Also, do not be afraid to ice the injection area after for a while. I ice for at least 20 minutes and it helps.

I am to the point now where the only place I have issues is my thighs (I inject to stomach, hip/butt and thighs) and it is much much better since I changed the Autoject depth and area of injection.

I have had no side effects except for 1 night about 3 weeks in where I woke up shivering. Otherwise I have been fine.
      Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

I was worried about all the Copaxone issues before I started. For me they were blown way out of proportion. I've had minimal site reactions, and no IPIR. I've been on C for almost 1 year now, the 40mg 3x/week dosage.

I feel it took my body a couple of months to get used to the med, where I would get a red itchy welt for a few hours, now it only bothers me for like 15-30 minutes.

Comment

I've been on Copaxone for just over 8 years after unsuccessful Rebif for 2 years. The injection site reactions can be controlled, it just takes a few tries to see what works. Good luck and keep us posted!
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Well, I've done two shots now, much easier than the Avonex pen. Burned a little for half an hour or so. Today I did my left arm-that was kind of tricky-I think I was loosening the pressure too much and the injection bit didn't go at first. Think I'll get my husband to do the arms next time if it's difficult again. Though thinking I'll be a pro by the time I get around to that spot again.

Comment

This is what works for me for the 8+ years I've been taking it. I manually inject but this can easily be done with the auto injector.

Pinch (big pinch) the area and inject into it. Push down on the bump that forms, it will go away. Then ice, then Benadryl cream.

I'm a really slim person so the pinch really helps to get some fat to inject into. I've been on it for a long time and I have zero areas that have permanent bumps, all sites are still injectable. Good luck and please let us know how it's going.
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Kudos to Copaxone 40mg

Approximately 4 - 5 years ago I was diagnosed with MS and put on Copaxone 20mg I did fine except that I had a lot of area's with scars and little fatty tissue. Still, I was improving with leaps and bounds. Then I heard about 40mg and only having to take the shot 3 times a week. I improved enough that I not only went into remission this summer, but I no longer needed to use a walking stick or my service dog to keep my balance. (Although my dog stayed by my side just in case. LOL)

Then, June 23rd, I had a massive heart attack. They tell me I had a double bypass, coded 5 times and had a defibrillator during the first three weeks. Sometime early on, my caregiver called my neuro wanting to know what this heart attack and all this coding was going to do to my remission. He told her to see if the hospital could get Copaxone if not to call him and he would have the manufacturer send it to them. That they needed to get me back on it as fast as possible.

I was put back on Copaxone 20mg until I went to rehab and then the Copaxone was from my own prescription and was back to the 40mg. For 2 months I was incapacitated.

3 weeks on a venalator - a total of 6 weeks of being bedridden - 2 weeks confined to a wheelchair.

Now what am I saying?

I am saying all this to say that within a month of being out of the hospital I was totally up and walking around like I was before my heart attack. Both my Neuro and my caregiver will tell you that it is because of the Copaxone.

I started getting better when I first started on Copaxone 4 - 5 years ago. And I survived and bounced back faster this summer because it helped me. I believe that.

Comment

I am small also, same height and weight as you are. Since going to 3 times per week, I've virtually had no problems at all. The decision was made that I stop injecting in my arms due to large welts/knots. No problems at all injecting in my abdomen (which was my greatest fear). No problems with the other areas. I switched from the auto inject to the syringe, as it is easier for those who have trouble with the "2 inches." Also, for me, warming the area where you are to inject, makes a huge difference. Good Luck

Last MRI: NO PROGRESSION
                  Shalom, Suzanne
                  You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

bbelaine, Copaxone gives the least amount of problems compared to all other DMD's. I was on Copaxone as my first MS drug and it went very well until my Neuro found that it was not controlling it very well (but who is to say that it WAS fending off lesions that we didn't know about?). The 20 mg dose is easy, but does have its problems. My suggestion to you is that you learn from this board and other places, how to fiend off problems the best you can. Good luck and I DO hope it helps you
                    Peace to all,
                    LM
                    RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Working...
                    X