Pain in left hand when gripping or making fist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain in left hand when gripping or making fist

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hi all, I am new to MS and my left hand has been sore for about 5 days, it hurts in between my pinky knuckle when I make a fist or grip something and I haven't done anything to injury it, has anyone else experienced this or is it not related to MS [/COLOR]

Hi sharna88,

Welcome to MSWorld! Sorry why you are here, though. I hope you find lots of support and information here.

I have similar pain, and mine is from spasticity. Could be the gripping action is triggering it (the muscles contact, but don't relax.) http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity. You could just stretch out that pinky finger, and see if that helps. Another simple exercise that my help relieve the pain is to roll a tennis ball under the palm of your hand and fingers to gently stretch those muscles. Medicines, like Baclofen and Tizanidine, can also be prescribed to help with spasticity.

If there is no other cause, spasticity is probably the reason. Talk with your doctor.

Good luck.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

If it's what I once had, it just needed a little exercising. Take a small rubberband and attach your pinky and ring finger (a very small rubberband or double a regular one so it stays). Then hold the rubberband with your finger from your other hand and move those 2 fingers down and up 10 times. The rubberband gives you tension to pull against. Then hold it from he bottom pulling and going up. Then separate the two fingers 10 times. Then take off the rubberband and squeeze a coin between the two fingers 10 times. Do it a few times a day and it works!!

Now my new problem (hope it's OK that I'm adding it to this thread). All my lower joints on my fingers hurt when I make a fist. Not terribly but I don't want it to get worse. Can it be arthritis? Or is it MS related? Are there exercises?
      Dx 1/86 at age 23
      Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
      Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Working...
      X