Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, about me

Hi there,

Im Kasey from California. I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis in Sept. Of 2014, RRMS two weeks later. Went in the hospital barely walking. Came home on a walker, graduated to a cane, now on my own. Some days I pinball on the walls of my house, but what can you do

Actually, I have two Neuros, one is adamant it's RRMS, the other says "Clinically Isolated syndrome." Both outcomes the same though, they both want me on a DMD. MS Neuro says forever, CIS doc says 5 years. I would rather believe the latter of course.

Its definitely been a trip. The TM began slowly, both feet numb. Over the course of about 10 days, it moved up above my waist. Had to go to one urgent care and 3 different ERs to get the correct diagnosis. (First hospital actually sent me home calling it a bladder infection?)

3rd hospital caught it. I had an MRI there of brain, thoracic and lumbar. The TM was at T8. No lesions in my brain. Lumbar puncture was positive for oligiclonal bands, hence MS dx. I was in the hospital for a week on high dose steroids.

I had another MRI a few months later showing a lesion on my cervical spine. Thing is, I was a chicken and opted for an open Mrai (deathly afraid of the tube)... The films were horrible and I got yelled at by the second Neuro. The radiologist that read the films didn't even compare to the old. Said negative for TM, but the lesion on the C-spine resembled an "astrocytoma."

It took over a week and several calls to my Neuro to see the report. (I made the mistake of looking at it myself first.) Lets just say there was a week there of a lot of crying, no sleep, lots of Xanax... Neuro said he is 99.999% sure that it's just an old MS lesion and proceeded to teach me a lesson about open MRIs. (I have had l'hermittes for at least 10 years... Never knew what that was.)

Anyway, I decided on Tecfidera. I couldn't get past the full dosing. Made me real sick. Stayed on one 240 a day for a few months but just didn't feel well ever. I got heart palps, massive fatigue, pain... And in turn a visit to cardio, other Drs etc. ended up with a pill for EVERYTHING.

So... I just got fed up. I stopped pretty much every med. For the last week, I sit here on pretty much nothing other than Vit D, magnesium, and a rare small dose of Tramadol of absolutely needed. I know it's dangerous, I know I need to take something, but man oh man I feel soooooo much better. I even started exercising.

Im considering LDN. I know neither Neuro will have anything to do with it so I will have to hunt it down, but I would just rather go the least toxic way I can, while I can. Researching this is how I found this forum. Very knowledgable people here, can't wait to get involved!

I apologize for being so long winded! Glad to have found you!

Hi TheKdd and welcome to MSWorld. Glad you found us too, but sorry for the reasons why you're here. I had to chuckle about your description about being a pinball against the wall as I once did just that. Now I use a rolling walker which keeps me away from the walls.

But on a more serious note, it sounds like you've been the pinball between two neuros with differing opinions. It must be frustrating! Many people here on board have varying opinions on starting on medication treatments right away. Some have a wait and see attitude, some only want alternative treatments to begin with and others are adamant about starting on a treatment asap. It is a very personal decision.

I hope you explore all that MSWorld has to offer. You might want to check out the Medication and Treatment forum http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...amp-Treatments to see what others experiences are on different medications. There is also a thread on LDN here as well http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...DN-Information

Stay well and post often! Let us know what you eventually decide upon.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
    X