GTEJrReata - City Chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTEJrReata - City Chicken?

I remember seeing(and preparing) a recipe called City Chicken years ago. It was very good, but I cant find the recipe anywhere and was wondering if you had one for this?

It used pork ( during Depression pork was cheaper than chicken). I seem to remember that it also made the gravy in the same pan? I googled it but only came up with recipes with pork on skewers - which was NOT what I remembered.

CITY CHICKEN

I, personally, do not remember this from my childhood.
    But, though my 'research' also shows placing meat, usually Pork, on skewers, it seems to me that one could prepare in gravy or cream of mushroom and/or cream of chicken soup and finished in either a casserole or large pot.

Considering this....could be something to experiment with and then possibly create a 'new dish'.

If anyone does, PLEASE post your findings.

George....aka GTEJrRetha

Comment

my mother used to make city chicken in the slow cooker ( crockpot)and it was always on skewers and when she took it out when it was done cooking and she made a gravy out of the drippings. I don't have any more details than that, I hope it helps you out.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I expermented and ..

.. It turned out eally good!

What I used:
        6 boneless pork chops
        2 cups all purpose flour
        4 TBS butter
        2 TBS oil
        1 envelope onion soup mix
        1/4 tsp pepper
        1/4 tsp garlic salt
        3/4 cup chicken broth (or one 14 oz can)
        1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 can of water

Melt butter and oil in pan (I used an electric skillet). Mix together flour, garlic and pepper. Coat pork chops with flour mixture and brown them in pan. Meanwhile mix together the broth, mushroom soup and the 1/2 can of water, set aside. When chops are browned drain pan and sprinkle the Onion soup mix over them. Add the broth / soup mixture. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
        The gravy was made in the pan, but if needed then thicken (I didn't need to thicken it).

I served with garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli. Mmm good .

Comment

Working...
        X