leg pain...miserable and scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leg pain...miserable and scared

Hi all...it's sure been a long time since I've visited MS World, which is a sign that all has been well with me. This September marked 14 years since my diagnosis and I've had my share of optic neuritis, vertigo, neuropathy in my hands, numb tongue and fatigue. Probably other stuff that I'm forgetting (oh yeah, forgetting words in mid sentence...super embarrassing).

Anyway, onto my current worry/issue. It has lasted a good week or so. My legs are just driving my nuts! (actually still aches while at rest...can't get comfortable) Constant achiness from my hips all the way to my feet. It is worse when I sit for a bit and try to get up and walk. I definitely have a funky walk for a few minutes and I seem to loosen up. But the pain just isn't easing up. I've tried aleve during the day, but isn't really helping. I also take Neurontin and I've started taking a higher dose to see if it helps. Yeah, it helps but leave my brain like mush. Not conducive to working! I do still work 4 days a week in a busy hospital lab. HR at my work is aware of the MS, but I have never talked about it with my supervisors etc. I'm just scared of losing my job. Right now with the pain I'm dealing with, I just don't know how long I can hide it.

My DH just tells me I need to stretch and walk and exercise. No kidding...(sarcasm)...but somehow I just can't pull that off right now.

Does this sound familiar, friends? I need a little guidance. I was just at the neuro 3 weeks ago and I was doing great! Only thing I couldn't do was jump on one foot. Then he gave me a pamphlet for ampyra...said I may need to keep this in mind for the future. What prompted this!? Hopefully, he wasn't seeing this episode I'm having now, on the horizon. Should I go back and see the dr again? I'm miserable and scared.

Thanks for listening.
    Missyb
    You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

I'm not a dr., but from what you describe (especially the part about when you sit in a chair and then get up and feel the effects) sure sounds like spasticity to me.

I'd definitely give the doctor a call. Maybe he did have in his mind that you might need Ampyra, but the main drugs used for spasticity are Baclofen and Zanaflex.

He mentioned stretching, and that would be to relieve spasticity. Spasticity just means the muscle receives the signal to contract but not to relax. In my case, spasticity has always gotten worse the
    longer I walked. The muscles in my hips, thighs, and calves would just get tighter, leading to "baby steps" and not being able to lieft my leg off the ground.

Hope you get some answers.

Comment

In agreement with RDMC. Spasticity can be extremely painful and make your muscles almost worthless. I would try to find a Physiatrists or PM&R doctor for a spasticity evaluation. Your neurologist may also be a good source, but some times they miss the forest for the trees.

If not spasticity, you could be having sciatica in both legs, but this really isn't common.

Comment

update

Hi, thank you for the replies...I've been giving my body a chance to bounce back and see if the issue would just resolve itself. So far, that has not happened. It seems that the pain has moved from just my muscles to most of my joints, as well. Hip and elbow being the worst (pardon my grammar if incorrect). Went to the neuro on Thursday and he didn't really think it was a relapse or necessarily MS related. He upped my dosage of Neurontin and also wrote a script for physical therapy. He also mentioned that it could be arthritis or a number of other things that I should see my family dr and go from there.

So, as of today, I am feeling a little better and was able to do some housework. Hip still bugging me and my feet are sore. Maybe the higher dose of Neurontin is helping.

Feel free to share your thoughts...
        Thanks!
        Melissa
        You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Comment

Originally posted by missyb View Post
          Hi, He upped my dosage of Neurontin and also wrote a script for physical therapy.
          Missby

I pretty much have the same symptoms you described.

My suggestion would be to use that Rx and try to find a therapist trained in MS therapy, not just sports rehab. My PT is trained in MS therapy and she knows a lot about MS gate, muscle, and nerve issues, and her knownledge has helped me tremendously. We do stretching for spasticity as well as strength training for core, quads, glutes, and back. I think the stretching helps the most.

I hope you get some relief soon!!
          Echo
          DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Agree with the others, this sounds just like spasticity to me. Gabapentin can be helpful for spasticity, but Baclofen and Tizanidine are the first choice meds used to treat it. Physical therapy can be extremely helpful for spasticity, and agree about the type of physical therapist you need to find. Also agree doctor of physical medicine might be a better choice than your neurologist at recognizing spasticity.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

http://www.mymsaa.org/about-ms/symptoms/spasticity/

http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.c...rth-Scale.aspx

Best of luck
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
            X