Teeth Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teeth Pain

I'm not sure if this is a form of parasthesia or not. If not, please let me know so I'll not only be able to post it under the right part of the message board, but I'll also be able to look up other info on it if it has its own name.

At times, usually when I'm really tired, and so susceptible to heightened symptoms, besides the normal types of parasthesia that I get, I sometimes experience pain in my teeth very similar to what a normal toothache would feel like, except this pain is not a sharp pain, it's more of an ache, and it's not localized in just one tooth, but it's spread out over several teeth, usually the top front teeth. If it gets really pronounced, every tooth on the bottom and top have this dull painful ache.

Does anybody know if this is just another manifestation of parasthesia, or does it have another name?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
    Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

Originally posted by miwealia View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a form of parasthesia or not. If not, please let me know so I'll not only be able to post it under the right part of the message board, but I'll also be able to look up other info on it if it has its own name.

At times, usually when I'm really tired, and so susceptible to heightened symptoms, besides the normal types of parasthesia that I get, I sometimes experience pain in my teeth very similar to what a normal toothache would feel like, except this pain is not a sharp pain, it's more of an ache, and it's not localized in just one tooth, but it's spread out over several teeth, usually the top front teeth. If it gets really pronounced, every tooth on the bottom and top have this dull painful ache.

Does anybody know if this is just another manifestation of parasthesia, or does it have another name?
    Yes, have been through no only facial pain, but teeth/jaw pain. Been to dentist first to rule in/out dental problems. Always ends up being MSee. I have learned of others who have had teeth removed or other serious treatments only to learn it was MS. Always see your dentist first though. Good luck, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

teeth pain

Thank you for your post! This is exactly why I am checking the message boards today. I'm pretty sure it's not my teeth and believe it to be MS because it's not always there. Besides I just saw the dentist last month and got x-rays and my teeth were in very good shape. Therefore, there's no way my teeth could be hurting like this in a month's time from the dentist. If I hadn't had the x-rays then I might think otherwise. But I get pain with my teeth exactly as you described. But mine is more on the left side of my face for my bottoms and front center on my uppers. but just left side. I've been dx since 2003. I hate going to any doctor and feeling like a hyporcondriac cause they can't find a problem for my pain. I hate spending the money for my co-pay too if I don't get results. So, I figured that if the pain isn't continuous...it's probably not my teeth and is probably MS.
      Now though, I'm at the age my mother was when she had a stroke. Her only symptom was numbness on her face left side. So...should I call my doctor to make sure I'm not having a stroke? Everything is fine though. I'm not slurring my words, nor do I have a droopy face. I do feel like I have a golf ball in my mouth in my left cheek but when I touch my face it feels normal. Plus this has been going on and off for a few weeks now. If I was having a stroke I think something else may have happened by now?
      Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Tess516 View Post
        Thank you for your post! This is exactly why I am checking the message boards today. I'm pretty sure it's not my teeth and believe it to be MS because it's not always there. Besides I just saw the dentist last month and got x-rays and my teeth were in very good shape. Therefore, there's no way my teeth could be hurting like this in a month's time from the dentist. If I hadn't had the x-rays then I might think otherwise. But I get pain with my teeth exactly as you described. But mine is more on the left side of my face for my bottoms and front center on my uppers. but just left side. I've been dx since 2003. I hate going to any doctor and feeling like a hyporcondriac cause they can't find a problem for my pain. I hate spending the money for my co-pay too if I don't get results. So, I figured that if the pain isn't continuous...it's probably not my teeth and is probably MS.
        Now though, I'm at the age my mother was when she had a stroke. Her only symptom was numbness on her face left side. So...should I call my doctor to make sure I'm not having a stroke? Everything is fine though. I'm not slurring my words, nor do I have a droopy face. I do feel like I have a golf ball in my mouth in my left cheek but when I touch my face it feels normal. Plus this has been going on and off for a few weeks now. If I was having a stroke I think something else may have happened by now?
        Just wondering.
        I do not think it is a stroke. You wouldn't be able to write all this if it were. Like I said, it feels like its dental related only to find out it goes away. Just need help with the pain, yes?
        I believe in miracles~!

Comment

yes, just need help with the pain. It bothered me a lot last evening. But today I feel completely fine.
          That's why I know it's not my teeth. I don't think it would come and go. Usually that kind of pain would result in a route canal or tooth removal.
          I kind of didn't think it would be a stroke. So I hope you didn't panic when you saw that. I just like to think of alternatives so that I don't fall into the trap of thinking everything I have is from MS.
          Thanks for your reply!

Comment

[QUOTE=Tess516;1490015]yes, just need help with the pain. It bothered me a lot last evening. But today I feel completely fine.
            That's why I know it's not my teeth. I don't think it would come and go. Usually that kind of pain would result in a route canal or tooth removal.
            I kind of didn't think it would be a stroke. So I hope you didn't panic when you saw that. I just like to think of alternatives so that I don't fall into the trap of thinking everything I have is from MS.
            Thanks for your reply![/QUOTE

Not sure if I know but are you taking Gabapentin/Neurontin? It s for this type of pain. I wonder if heat or cold compresses work too? I never used that, but do take Gabapentin! Good luck!
            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Yesssss!

So many things have been frustrating to me......this is one that easily falls into the top 3.

I've tried to address this on multiple occasions with my neuro and each time left with no answers or suggestions.

My face can hurt to the point of tears. Thankfully that particular event doesn't happen often. What does happen often and drives me insane is that my teeth hurt!

I say teeth, it's everything I guess (teeth, gums, etc). I don't know how to pinpoint it and find it hard to explain. Nothing OTC helps. Even though my teeth and my face are by far not the only source of pain, I've tried very hard to avoid prescription meds to manage it.

What I want to do, is knock my own teeth out. Lol! In my head, it feels like that is the only solution.

Comment

Hi everyone a couple of years past I had a horrible tooth ache after a couple of days I rang the local dental clinic to book in, you only got in if it was painful and emergency, it was 2 days before I got in to see the dentist while waiting for this my face went numb so when I got to see the dentist she said is it really painful, I said it was for a few days but not now, she went off, thats not how a tooth ache works she said, but all was good after I went through the explanation of MS and face numb since I booked in and the problem is still there but can't feel it,anyway my tooth was fixed, now how does that feel she said, I don't know numb remember. I really hate MS Craig

Comment

Face pain with teeth pain has been my newest and one of the worst symptoms. I too, made an emergency appointment with my dentist, who insisted that although my teeth hurt so bad, my teeth were healthy. He even took a second x-ray at my insistence. He could not understand why I kept insisting that there was a problem, when he could see no problem visually or on film.

It took a couple weeks for things to settle down and boy did I suffer. Next time i'll know what it is and how to treat it. (took some left over gabapentin)

MS is so fun, NOT!

Comment

What you're suffering from sounds a lot like trigeminal neuralgia. It is one of the nastiest MS symptoms I know of. Apparently, if Carbamazepine kills of the pain then it's almost guaranteed this is what it is. Gabapentin is also used for this, but my experience is that it's nowhere near as effective as the Carb.

Hope it disappears quickly for you.

Comment

Carb more effective than GABA

Originally posted by Poppy7402 View Post
                      What you're suffering from sounds a lot like trigeminal neuralgia. It is one of the nastiest MS symptoms I know of. Apparently, if Carbamazepine kills of the pain then it's almost guaranteed this is what it is. Gabapentin is also used for this, but my experience is that it's nowhere near as effective as the Carb.

Hope it disappears quickly for you.
                      Yes, I agree with you, Poppy. I've been on Gabapentin for about a year now for other symptoms, but even so, my teeth pain still flares up. I told my neuro about this during my last visit (Feb), and she prescribed Carbamazepine. I take it only when the teeth pain flares up, and it definitely helps. Not like instant pain relief, but it definitely helps.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
                      Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

Comment

teeth pain

i too have had teeth pain. i had it for weeks . it has happened twice.it hurt really bad like an actual tooth ache. the pain was in my lower left molars and up the side of my face. i begged the dentist to pull it out. he said he saw no reason why my teeth should hurt.he did xrays. i now know its from MS nerve pain.

Comment

This was one of my earliest symptoms. For years, I thought I had some sort of really bad tooth ache. It's usually the same side of my face. It hurts like the dickens, and last for a few really awful days and then poof it's gone. I tend to find it is worse before severe weather changes. I hate it.

Comment

Working...
                          X