Magnesium For Spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnesium For Spasticity

All the years I've dealt with painful spasticity, I never knew that a simple supplement would help ease my symptoms. I'm talking about magnesium! My neurologist recommends it for migraines, anxiety, spasticity, sleep, and tremors. 400 mg twice a day.

I was on baclofen many times and it did nothing for my symptoms except increase them. I wish I knew about magnesium sooner. It would have saved my sanity on those days I couldn't move because I was in so much pain and dealing with sleepless nights on top of it. I wanted to share this with my fellow MS'ers because, I don't want any of us to suffer from pain when there is something as simple as magnesium we can take and ease our spasticity. Before you start taking magnesium, check with your doctor.

Have any of you tried magnesium for spasticity? Has it helped you? What else have you tried to ease your symptoms and did it work?

it's been one of my supplements for awhile doesn't impact my spasticity

My daily supplements include Magnesium, milk thistle, calcium and D, still pop 80mg of baclofen per day to try and ease the tightness.
    Diagnosed 9/2010, copaxone 10/10, avonex 10/12

Comment

I take magnesium tablets every morning. I find that it has helped me with easing the spasticity in my legs. I don't know if the magnesium is the 'answer', but I am not going to change my routine because it works for me!

Comment

I used to take magnesium, but didn't have a problem with spasticity at the time. Now I'm going to try it again since you mentioned this. Thanks!

A word of caution: it can have a laxative effect, which for me is not a bad thing, but may be for some people. Or at least they might want to know in advance.
        PPMS
        Dx 07/13

Comment

Thanks Jane for this information. I went out and bought the spray. Forgot to move my glasses and spent awhile getting the spray off of them. DUH!

Even though I already take Magnesium tablets at bedtime for my painful spasms, I am using the spray with 6000 mg. Not sure how often you can use it, do you know? I take the oral tabs for a kidney problem I have where I spill electrolytes due to a faulty mechanism in this rare kidney disorder I have.

So.. how often can you spray? Do you know? I STILl have those awful spasms in my calf AND my toes, mostly my big toe locks up, along with my ankles. I am thinking this is more MS..as my levels are good I think for magnesium. I see my kidney doc on Tuesday to know for sure.

Can you help me know how often I can use this spray?
          Thanks, Jan
          Thanks hon.
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

different types of magnesium

i have read that magnesium oxide is not the best source. many functional medicine doctors recommend magnesium malate. it can be ordered online. there are other types that are better than magnesium oxide.

Comment

Originally posted by waysiek View Post
              i have read that magnesium oxide is not the best source. many functional medicine doctors recommend magnesium malate. it can be ordered online. there are other types that are better than magnesium oxide.
              Okay, do you know if its supposed to be tablets only? And what do these functional medicine docs recommend it for?

thanks, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thanks for the tip re: magnesium. I have bad spasticity that the baclofen barely touches. My husband swears that it was magnesium that stopped his severe, daily migraines.

Comment

I have used magnesium for years...I don't remember it helping with my spasticity (I have a pump now, so there'd be no way of knowing), but I found that it seems to give me a little boost of energy...my husband noticed the same thing and he always takes it before he goes to the gym.

But the form we use is a powder that mixes in water. The powder form is available on amazon and is called Calm. When mixed with water it makes a fizzy drink that tastes good.

The reason we use the powder is that we both found that if we take too much magnesium it will keep us in the bathroom, it does work as a laxative too. So the powder lets us tweek the dose and find out just the right amount to use.

Comment

I have played around with Magnesium supplements for years and still take it every evening but nothing touches the spasticity and pain except Baclofen.

I've even taken so much Magnesium I get 'the runs' and still nothing.

My stiffness, pain and spascticity have a mind of their own. Some days I am nearly normal, other days so stiff that it takes me over.

Comment

Magnesium

Hi,
                      I have been taking magnesium for about a year, and for a long time it helped for muscle cramps and the pain. I also took it for GI irregularities. In the past two months it has stopped working. I was started on Baclofen but am not very impressed with it so far, though it seemed to help a bit last night.

I haven't been on this site in years ! Been pretending to be perfectly healthy, off injections for two years, and now have pain down my right side, literally head to toe.
                      I hope the magnesium works for you for a long time.
                      -Dawlfin
                      10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
                      later:ADEM/MS,
                      5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

It has been said several times in various studies that magnesium does not help in muscle cramps until your blood magnesium levels are normal.
                        http://www.nutrientsreview.com/minerals/magnesium.html

Magnesium oxide may be not well absorbed, but most of other forms should be, so there is no need to buy the most expensive supplements. There is a detailed chart about various magnesium forms in the linked article.

Magnesium oils (to apply on the skin) contain magnesium chloride, which is probably not absorbed, so this may be a waste of money. Magnesium from Epsom salt may be absorbed, though. But again, if your blood levels are fine, magnesium may net be very helpful.

Comment

Magnesium Oil

Hi, I purchased magnesium oil on-line. Many different brands. I use Magnesium chloride. It has no smell, clear and absorbs when rubbed on the bottom of your feet. Your soles of the feet have a fast absorbtion ability. Let them air dry for a few minutes. I then make my way to bed. this really seems to work for me. I think we are all magnesium deficient. give it a try.
                          Kathy Sue

I not only believe in Miracles....I depend on them.

Comment

What type of Magnesium

Originally posted by Jane30 View Post
                            All the years I've dealt with painful spasticity, I never knew that a simple supplement would help ease my symptoms. I'm talking about magnesium! My neurologist recommends it for migraines, anxiety, spasticity, sleep, and tremors. 400 mg twice a day.

I was on baclofen many times and it did nothing for my symptoms except increase them. I wish I knew about magnesium sooner. It would have saved my sanity on those days I couldn't move because I was in so much pain and dealing with sleepless nights on top of it. I wanted to share this with my fellow MS'ers because, I don't want any of us to suffer from pain when there is something as simple as magnesium we can take and ease our spasticity. Before you start taking magnesium, check with your doctor.

Have any of you tried magnesium for spasticity? Has it helped you? What else have you tried to ease your symptoms and did it work?

Please can you tell me if you have any preferred brand?
                            Thank you.
                            B.

Comment

Working...
                            X