Told a co-worker today. It felt good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Told a co-worker today. It felt good.

I'm sort of newly diagnosed (March, 2015) and still trying to figure out some things related to how I am dealing with my MS. I am a middle school (MS--ironic) teacher. Today, I told the first of my co-workers about my MS. (I did tell the administrator in April when applying for FMLA, but this was the first actual co-worker).

I have been torn about "to tell or not to tell" for some time. It felt good sharing it with someone. Back in March/April when I was going through my major flare that led to diagnosis, it was obvious to all the teachers that "something" was going on with me. I know that many wondered what, but I kept it to myself. (I had optic neuritis and wore an eye patch for a week....explaining to them that I had caught some "virus" that caused inflammation to my optic nerve).

So, telling the one peer teacher today did feel good. I'm not sure if I will end up telling more. I am hoping that she will keep my confidence, but time will tell. Interestingly, I found out that she has Rheumatoid Arthritis. I never would have guessed.
    RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
    (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
    Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

I did that, too.

I told a co-worker also.

Two days, fired. After the company gave me a positive performance evaluation and a 3k raise. Go figure.

Comment

Pushed Out the Door

I had a bad episode and finally felt it was time to tell my employer I have MS.....4 days later I get notified that I am having to retire with Medical Disability. BE CAREFUL who you tell.

Comment

Wow, interesting.

Thanks for the head's up
        RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
        (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
        Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about the awful way some of you were treated by your employers!

I think telling an employer might work for you or against you. I told mine because it was really obvious I was having problems with walking, and couldn't explain why there were certain things I was having trouble doing. My thinking was that I was protecting myself by doing it in writing so I would have documentation if they were thinking of pulling the plug on me, and maybe that it would make them think about that twice. That was almost a year ago, and so far, I'm still here. Hard to know what would have happened if I have remained silent.

Maybe a determining factor is whether or not your problems are apparent, like they were in my case. Also, whether or not it is affecting job performance.

Good luck, Teeky. Maybe because your friend has problems too, she will understand and keep your confidence. I really think that most people are better than we often expect them to be.
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonMOM1 View Post
            I had a bad episode and finally felt it was time to tell my employer I have MS.....4 days later I get notified that I am having to retire with Medical Disability. BE CAREFUL who you tell.
            Can this really happen?? Were you operating a nuclear breeder reactor or doing cardiac surgery? Yikes. I told my boss/friend/biggest gossip in the district but so far so good. Or maybe she told everyone and nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
              I think telling an employer might work for you or against you. I told mine because it was really obvious I was having problems with walking, and couldn't explain why there were certain things I was having trouble doing. My thinking was that I was protecting myself by doing it in writing so I would have documentation if they were thinking of pulling the plug on me, and maybe that it would make them think about that twice. That was almost a year ago, and so far, I'm still here. Hard to know what would have happened if I have remained silent.
              I think very likely you would've been canned! After being laid off my job five months after I got a big raise and an excellent performance review — and disclosed — call me cynical, but I think the timing on these things is not accidental

At my next job I did just what you did above, and I'm sure it protected me until I got such a big flareup that I couldn't continue with my present job. They did try to fire me after FMLA was up so I had to hire a lawyer. But because I had disclosed in writing and had done everything by the book, it led to this current job working from home, which I love. So: silver lining!

I did feel a great sense of relief once I started telling everyone, though. Got sick of the sideways glances at my cane. Now, if only people could keep the news to themselves

Comment

Working...
              X