Complementary NOT Complimentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complementary NOT Complimentary

Attention Editors: It's Complementary Medicine not Complimentary Medicine.
    (Also 'Therapies')

Thank you so much, NYJenn!!!

Just another thing that MS has robbed - spelling!
    It's all taken care of now
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Now that that's been taken care of, is there any chance of getting the subforums grouped more logically?

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
        Now that that's been taken care of, is there any chance of getting the subforums grouped more logically?
        What did you have in mind? We're always up for suggestions

Comment

The subforums could be grouped more logically. For starters, people who have been diagnosed with MS and people who haven’t been diagnosed don’t belong in the same category. It’s sort of like putting apples and oranges together because limbo landers and newly diagnosed have a different status and different concerns. Each group merits its own subforum.

Progressive MS doesn’t belong in the “I Can Relate” room. Right now it’s illogically grouped in a subforum based on demographics other than MS status: age and gender. Progressive MS isn’t the same kind of demographic. If limbo landers and newly diagnosed deserve their own subforums, then people with progressive MS surely do also.

The “Related Disorders” category isn’t logical, either. Related to MS in what way? Related because they have the same symptoms (which in fact does not make them related)? Because they’re autoimmune diseases (fibromyalgia and Lyme disease are not autoimmune)? Because they’re a direct result of MS, like gastroparesis or autonomic dysfunction (those have never been placed in this category)? Or because they’re conditions that people with MS also coincidentally happen to have?

This last definition seems to fit the general way the subforum is being used because there are posts about lactose intolerance, sickle cell, endometriosis, anemia, hypothyroidism, heart defects, cancer, diabetic neuropathy, parathyroid dysfunction, scoliosis and spinal cord injury, None of those are related to MS, yet moderators have never moved them out of the category, so apparently no one knows what “related disorders” means. So to call a subforum “related” and fill it with unrelated conditions doesn’t work. “Other Disorders” isn’t particularly snappy but it does more accurately describe the broad spread of conditions being discussed there.

In the spirit of the correct use of “complementary” instead of complimentary,” the word “secretive” is being used incorrectly in “The Secretive Symptom Room.” Symptoms aren’t secretive. Rooms aren’t secretive, either, unless they’re in a Stephen King novel. Symptoms can be secret, private or confidential, so any one of those words in the title would accurately describe the topic of discussion.

And lastly, it would be helpful if, whenever topics aren't grouped by level of importance, the subforms could be grouped alphabetically. For example, in the Medications forum, readers expect to find things in some kind of logical arrangement.

"Medications" is the first word in the title, so logically the list should start with medications. For continued example, Tecfidera doesn't belong between Aubagio and Betaseron, and Lemtrada and Plegridy don't belong after Tysabri. CAMs and New Treatments aren't medications, so they belong together at the bottom of the list, C before N.

More logical groupings could make things easier to find in a large forum.

Comment

Thank you for these suggestions. We will try to address these as time allows.

Comment

Is it possible.....

Is it possible to block certain forums? Example, When I sign in, I always look at the new posts first. However, sometimes a lot of posts I am not interested in, show up and it makes it harder to find the forums I am interested in. Maybe there is already a way to do this, and I just don't know it.
              Echo
              DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Working...
              X