Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my neuro says once you reach 60 MS doesn't get any worse.Anyone else ever hear of this?

Hi skinner - there has been some talk here in the past of a "burn out" stage with age.

The theory is that the immune system becomes less active with age, and with that in mind, there is less inflammatory immune response in some older MS patients. Here's an older thread about that http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...urn-itself-out

But to not get worse?

I am 66 and became secondary progressive (without flares) about 7? years ago and have gotten worse - walking, cognitive abilities, weakness, bladder problems, etc. MS is a progressive disease, but some fare better or worse than others. Awhile back one poster here gave an analogy of all of us msers as snowflakes. No one is alike and the course of our MS is dependent on so many seemingly random factors.

You might ask your neuro what he meant by that statement.
    Take care!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My neuro never said MS doesn't progress after age 60, but he did say to stop injecting Avonex around age 65. During my last appoinment, I said "Avonex is for life" and he said "not quite life; age 65" and I wondered?

I know that the inflamatory stage burns out with age, but progressive diseases progress. Has anyone heard of stopping a DMD at age 65?

I know Richard Cohen stopped (Avonex, Tysabri) he is 67ish and stopped because he is secondary progressive now and DMDs don't help. . .? He is steadily declining too.

Honestly, I try not to think too much about it (aging with MS). But, I was dx before DMDs were available. I started Avonex in 1997 and am still self-injecting. I've had a few mild relapses. Although I still look the same, my sx have gotten steadily worse too. I am no longer working mostly due to fatigue, bladder and cognitive issues.

It's been 21 years since my dx and 18 years since starting Avonex. I'd hate to think of where I'd be without starting a DMD in my late twenties. It's been the silver lining in my dark cloud.

I try to stay positive and take things as they come (much easier said than done). But, I share your concerns about aging with MS.

Hang In There!
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I will be eighty in a few months. My MS has definitely gotton worse in my 70's. My body functions have completely stopped or slowed way down. I know other MSers in my boat.

Comment

When I was diagnosed with MS at 57 1/2, my neurologist wanted me on the DMD with the highest efficacy. I've been on Tysabri for 5 years with no "new" symptoms. The ones I had before diagnosis are still there and still progressing. I asked my neurologist about MS "burning out" and quitting Ty, but she put water on that idea. She felt that the newer drugs probably need a generation of use before any such decision is made, and Tysabri hasn't even been out 10 years yet. A study found that Tysabri helps prevent brain volume loss, and that's enough for me. At my last MRI, it stated that my brain volume is normal for my age.

Comment

Working...
          X