Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have an Interstim for Bladder Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have an Interstim for Bladder Problems?

I'm scheduled to have an interstim trial placed for bladder retention problems. Apparently I have 2 options ... this or self cathing. I'm at high risk for infection because I'm on Rituxan and have already had a UTI and I'm on week 3 of self cathing.

Does anyone have one and like/dislike it?

Originally posted by gwynnf View Post
    I'm scheduled to have an interstim trial placed for bladder retention problems. Apparently I have 2 options ... this or self cathing. I'm at high risk for infection because I'm on Rituxan and have already had a UTI and I'm on week 3 of self cathing.

Does anyone have one and like/dislike it?
    I've read posts from people that love them and people that hate them. I have an Intrathecal Baclofen Pump, so I'm not against implanted devices to help us (better living through technology )

I've researched the Interstim a little, but the thing that stopped my interest in the device was the info about MRIs. Evidently once the interstim is implanted, you can only get MRIs of your head/brain No more MRIs of any kind (at least that's what I believe it was saying.) This would be similar to MS patients who had Pacemakers that prevented them from getting MRIs (now Medtronic has a pacemaker that is made of a material that allows you to have MRIs.) Newer Interstim allow for head scans, older Interstim did not allow any MRI, head or otherwise.

To be unable to give up MRIs seems extreme because even if I discontinued MRIs for my spine, what if you need another type of MRI for an issue other than MS...seems quite the restriction.

Hope you find a solution.

Comment

I did end up having the interstim implanted and I'm not sorry I did it. I have not had a UTI (knock on wood) since the implant surgery.

My neuro told me about the problems with MRIs. He said that the FDA should be giving the OK soon to be able to receive MRIs other than just the brain. All of my MRIs since I have been Dx were all "okay" "no change" which I always though humorous since I have gradually progressed over the last 20 years to almost no mobility. So not being able to have MRIs wasn't a very big down side for me.

If anything happened to this device, I would definitely have it replaced.

Comment

Thanks gwynnf for updating and I'm glad you are doing well with the interstim. My urologist wanted me to get one but I said no because of the mri's. Do you still have to self-cath? This would be the reason I would want one.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
        X