Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Mamabug.

Comment

Glad you were able to get approved quickly. Also understand your mixed tears. It is hard to accept disability, especially when you enjoyed your work. As mamabug said, it is a loss, one that you do have to let yourself grieve for.

My neuro understands the need for disability, but worries about my "brain health". I am taking him up on a few suggestions to try to keep challenging my brain, like online course work & learning to play a music instrument. He also checks on my mental health, making sure I don't isolate myself. He can ask tough questions, such as "what do I now see as my daily purpose".

The good news is that after doing work to challenge the brain, I can rest. One of the positives of not working.

I do wish you well in your adjustment. Please feel free to reach out here. Many of us have had to make the transition.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Funny, my Neuro was worried about brain health too. I can't tolerate course work or critical thinking of any kind anymore. I lose track and become exhausted just reading the news!

What I have been doing is taking care of our menagerie. We have a geriatric greyhound and cat, a just turned one year old puppy and two ponies. I show my pony and my husband's is a trail pony. So there is plenty to keep my mind engaged.

That being said, I still have to carefully plan my activities, whether it be to ride my pony, clean the house, or go grocery shopping. Unfortunately my energy level isn't what it used to be and now a days my body is demanding that I pay attention. When I don't, I usually pay the next day. Napping daily, or at least lying down for a bit when my mind won't settle down, seems to be key.

Comment

Originally posted by quietposter View Post

That being said, I still have to carefully plan my activities, whether it be to ride my pony, clean the house, or go grocery shopping. Unfortunately my energy level isn't what it used to be and now a days my body is demanding that I pay attention. When I don't, I usually pay the next day. Napping daily, or at least lying down for a bit when my mind won't settle down, seems to be key.
          Yes! Energy is less. Ability to deal with life's "normal" stressors is decreased. Ability to deal with the busy-ness of life is less. The need for naps is increased. The need for "down time" is increased.

I've learned what to say "yes" to and what to say "no" to, and not to feel guilty when I can't say "yes". Preventing stress and managing my time and energy is simply a health strategy -- just like taking my meds is a health strategy. And, I don't feel guilty for that.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X