What drug should I try next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What drug should I try next?

I’ve taken Betaseron for two years—no longer effective, Tysabri for two years—quit became JC Virus positive, Novantrone, two infusions, Rituxan—too many side effects, two infusions, and tried Tecfidera (too much flushing). Anyway, I’ve not had a DMD since 2012. I’m considering trying another one. I’ve been diagnosed since 2006 and am 44 years old. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Melissa--Betaseron 2007-2010; Novantrone 2008; Tysabri 2010-2012; Rituxan 2012; Tecfidera 2015; Currently-No DMD

Healer is my GOD!

Are you RRMS? Has your MS been stable the 3 yrs you've been without a DMD? Has your doctor suggested anything else like Copaxone or Gilenya? Unfortunately all the meds have side effects -- some more serious than others.

I would talk to your neuro about what s/he suggests. Copaxone is a shot and Gilenya an oral pill.

Good luck with your decision,
    Bree

Comment

I agree with Bree2013. Talk to dr. Gilenya might be an option. Lemtrada (alemtuzemab) might be another?

My own advice on something that 'you' can do regardless of a doctor's prescription: Make sure your vitamin D levels are on the normal-high normal side. (I guess you do need a dr. for a blood test for that). I'd advise even if "normal" to take extra vitamin D supplements. My personal opinion, based on research, is that being on the higher side of normal is better for people with MS.

The other supplement that seems to be highly important is Omega-3s. I've read things that make me think that Omega 6 and Omega 9 may not necessarily be good to supplement for people with MS, but Omega 3 is beneficial.

On a side note: not sure if you are still teaching, but in reference to your screen name: "tired_teacher," I am also a teacher. (And tired).
      RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
      (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
      Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

Working...
      X