Does anyone take a statin drug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone take a statin drug?

I think my MD might be going to suggest I take a statin (cholesterol lowering) drug. I'm not an expert but I think that cholesterol is a component of myelin so I'm concerned that my MS symptoms might get worse if I take a statin drug. Does anyone have personal experience with this? Much worried.

I took statins for years, with no effect on my MS. However, I have some concerns about how good statins are for our health, in general.

I also take a daily Omega 3 supplement, which lowers my cholesterol some. Regular exercise increase HDL, which makes doctors less concerned. I've also discovered that there doesn't seem to be as much truth to the "dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol" as we used to be told. I've found that it's more important to keep my "white" carbs low than to keep my saturated fats and dietary cholesterol low.

Those three things, alone, aren't enough to keep my cholesterol in check, although they lower them significantly. In spite of that, I'm not terribly concerned about my high cholesterol. My family has high cholesterol in their genetics, but a pretty low incidence, even in the older generations, of heart problems.

I recently began taking a supplement called CardioXLDL, which is sold by Nature's Sunshine. Their products are fairly expensive, but, I've heard really good things about them. They are 100% natural, rather than synthetic, which the products at discount stores, and even health food stores, generally are. If I buy them online and sign up with a sponsor, I get them 1/3 off the regular retail price. I've discontinued my Lipitor, and next time I have a doctor's appointment, I'll tell him about it and see what my annual blood work shows.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

From studies, the evidence about statins in MS is mixed. If you google something like "statins for multiple sclerosis" you'll find articles that show conflicting results.

There was some preliminary evidence years ago that statins, especially at higher than normal doses, were actually beneficial for MS.

But some other studies found that subjects with MS taking statins did worse than those who weren't taking statins.

So there's no cut and dried answer.

I was on a statin for a short time, but I felt so awful on it that I quit taking it. I don't think it had any effect on my MS one way or the other.

Comment

simvastatin

I've been on simvastatin for at least 10 years. I really am not worried about it. In fact, recently I thought it might be a good thing. (As there are studies saying that high doses 80mg a day may actually be beneficial). I've been taking 20mg since at least 2005. I'd say in 2010 or so, I started taking 40 mg a day.

I was just diagnosed with MS this year. So, not sure if it had any effect on me developing MS. I like to think it did not. My parents and brother are both on a statin and have not had any ill effects.
        RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
        (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
        Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

I was placed on a statin, 80mg, due to have CAD and a stent placed.
          I ended up having my liver enzymes skyrocket so had to get off.

Cholesterol went back up, so back on a lower dose and POW, it reduced
          my cholesterol BUT I had the WORST spasms, curling my toes, ankles and
          immobilizing me. So now I am off of them again.

Others have also complained of terrible charley horses (spasms) too.

I also read women especially should not be on Statins unless they already have
          a history of heart or vascular disease.

Gets confusing huh?

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I never knew all that. A year ago my doctor discovered my cholesterol had gotten very high. At first I just wanted to change my diet but I have a very heavy family history of cardiovascular problems so I didn't want to take a chance.

The statin lowered my cholesterol really well. I do have more curling of of feet but with my family history I feel more comfortable playing it safe.

Comment

Thanks

Hi everyone who replied. I just realized I hadn't replied to the replies. So...thanks to everyone. Looks like there's no definite answer. Haven't been prescribed a statin yet, crossing my fingers. Thanx again.

Comment

I need to schedule my annual appt with my primary care physician soon. I'll see what my cholesterol results are, after being off a statin and only on natural products. In the past, without Lipitor, my cholesterol has usually been over 300.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi mandalababe,

I used a statin for approximately a year and a half and I will never use on again. If you choose to use a Statin, caution and research is needed. The link below is to another thread on this topic.
                  http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...SPMS-Treatment
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

The more that I read about statins, the more concerned about their risks I become. Some of their side effects include:
                    • higher blood sugar or Type II diabetes
                    • confusion and memory loss
                    • muscle damage
                    • liver damage
                    • kidney damage
                    • increased risk of cancer
                    • increased risk of cataracts

Some wonder if they are bad for the brain, and, actually, counter to what they are meant to do, even bad for your heart. They do lower your cholesterol, but cholesterol is essential for your brain.

In my extended family, our genetics have given most of us high cholesterol, but, heart disease is not common. I'm not convinced of the benefit.

Doctors will likely not agree with me, because they seem to be big on statins. So, do your own reading and form your own opinions. If you're concerned about heart health and "healthy" cholesterol, I suggest incorporating these foods into your diet:
                    • olive oil
                    • beans and legumes
                    • whole grains
                    • high fiber vegetables and fruits
                    • flax seed
                    • nuts
                    • avacado

I also suggest cutting out trans fats (hydrogenated fats or oils) and limiting processed foods.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                    X