Thoughts or advice on mobility scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts or advice on mobility scooter

I'm in the market for a new or slightly used electric mobility scooter . I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia PA. I currently have an older GoGo scooter but it doesn't always get me there without a little pushing . Any ideas?

was hoping there would be some recommendations....I would like to get one so my husband doesn't have to push me around in a wheelchair
    dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Don't hear much from the masses ! Where are my friendly MSers with some scooter advice?

Comment

Sorry, JerryD, miles away (literally).
        I want one of those light little Luggie scooters, 'cause frankly the wheelie walker is just not doing it for me anymore.
        If I'm going to have to hoick something heavy into the car, I'd at least like the end result to be a pleasure, rather than more pain.

But these things cost a helluva lot of money. Thinking about guilting my employer into a fundraiser. I work for a newspaper, though it is the dying days of the print media. Rally round the disabled employee etc.

How expensive is a new GoGo?

There is a very sexy scooter that looks not unlike a Harley-Davidson, and costs only slightly less.

Ain't life grand when you're checking out mobility scooters on ebay.

Hopefully someone will give you some useful advice. Adios from the Southern Hemisphere.

Comment

Thanks for responding from DownUnder, Think. Isn't it coincidence that we both work(ed) in the media biz. I made TV programs and worked for the 'alphabet soup' news networks.
          But, that aside, I am considering buying a GoGo or Golden scooter. I found a site on the web that will ship it to my door. And the costs will be somewhere between $700 and $2000. I guess I will be trying that route.

Comment

I've been using two scooters: a Tzora Hummer XL and a Strider MIDI for the past 2 years. I'm very happy with both; I'm a relatively "big" guy. 6'3" and 250. the Hummer has nice tires and lets you do some off-roading. Both are reasonably priced.

The Strider fits on a lift on the back of the car the Hummer is kinda big so I use the former on the road and the latter at home.
            First Symptom: May 2007
            Dx: August 2007

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
              Thanks for responding from DownUnder, Think. Isn't it coincidence that we both work(ed) in the media biz. I made TV programs and worked for the 'alphabet soup' news networks.
              But, that aside, I am considering buying a GoGo or Golden scooter. I found a site on the web that will ship it to my door. And the costs will be somewhere between $700 and $2000. I guess I will be trying that route.
              I have the Pride GoGo and really like the ability to break it down (or let's be real, ask my friends to break it down ) and put it in most car trunks and take it anywhere. If you set it on "rabbit" (seriously — a turtle and rabbit are on the speed knob), the speed isn't bad either unless you're on a hill! Battery power is also very good.

That said, I have tipped over in this thing multiple times while out and about, and that is not what we need. Thank God I didn't knock my head or break anything. Three wheels are not safe on anything but the flattest clearest surface. I'm trying to save for a four-wheeled motorized something that will be safer.

Comment

I have a Luggie. It's a good lightweight machine--but not sturdy enough to use on city streets or sidewalks.

The one I do use outside is a 4-wheel Ryder Xpress. It was a sturdy, trusty ride, but now after 4 years of heavy use, it's less reliable.

I am looking to get a new 3 wheel scooter.

Comment

Scooter thoughts.

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                  I'm in the market for a new or slightly used electric mobility scooter . I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia PA. I currently have an older GoGo scooter but it doesn't always get me there without a little pushing . Any ideas?
                  Have you replaced your scooter's batteries recently? If not, you might want to get some new ones before getting a new or used scooter. Despite regular charging of decent batteries I get less than a year out of my GoGo's possibly because I sometimes have a steep driveway I need to go up and down a bit. (I've tried using deep discharge batteries but they don't seem to make a difference).

Before you make a purchase think about how you will use the scooter.

My local wheelchair store sells a very powerful, very large 3 wheel scooter that is great for outdoor use, but I can't imagine using it in a store that isn't as large as a typical Home Depot.

I've used a 3 wheel Gogo Pride and a TravelScoot scooter both in San Francisco, my house in San Rafael, CA, and when traveling by air and car.

I can travel short distances using my forearm canes in the morning when my legs are still working, but need a scooter or borrowed wheelchair for shopping, libraries, museums, hospitals, etc.

I'm a 66 yo male and I've found that although the GoGo breaks down into smaller pieces, my back isn't up to lifting the pieces in and out of car trunks. My 98 pound wife can help some.

A 3 wheel scooter on hills, especially when going across the slope is an invitation to a fall.

The TravelScoot is great for flying, especially with the small Li-On battery which is approved by AirFrance, and United (and probably others) as long as you bring it into the cabin. Both airlines limit on-board lithium to 160 grams, the TS battery has a bit under 159 and says so on the label. Even so, I bring a printed, color copy of the airline's statements with me just in case.

Please don't check or take larger LiOn batteries on board, they can catch fire spontaneously and end your travel plans in a very final and unpleasant way!

The TravelScoot brakes can be very interesting when going down wet hills in San Francisco. It doesn't have a reverse gear, so backing up requires a working leg.

Neither scooter is capable of going through most of the grassy or sandy areas I've encountered.

The travelScoot is easy to take apart and fold up on third and subsequent attempts.

Both scooters transmit every bump that is 1/8" or more to my backside despite padding.

Good luck.

G

Comment

You may find the solution at a local quality DME w/c fitter; they can fit a w/c with "power assist" wheel hubs. Google power assist and wheelchair

Hope this helps-
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Avoid 3 wheeled scooter

Hi, as a PT just a few words on scooters. 3 wheeled scooters are generally not considered safe outdoors, uneven surfaces, even bumps in a side walk can be a safety issue. Also, scooters have a much larger turning radius than power wheelchairs. If you are stuck on going for a scooter look for a 4 wheeled one. There are some great new power assist options out there for manual wheelchairs that are a great option too. Btw most insurances will not cover a 3 wheel scooter.
                      Pat

DX 7/06
                      Rebif 7/06

Comment

mobility scooters

I am also thinking about a scooter. Can any be taken apart and put together with no help? Can the parts fit in a car with a large trunk? How much does the heaviest part weigh? I currently have a walker and can get it in and out of my car by myself (at this point) but realize that I need more help than the walker can provide. Naturally what I am looking for is independent mobility but not sure I could manage anything more than about 10 lbs.

Anyone have thoughts on accessible vans. Don't think I am there yet but keeping my options open.

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Perfect 4 wheel scooter

I have a Drive Spitfire 4 wheeled scooter. LOVE IT. It easily disassembles into 4 pieces and can be easily lifted into a car trunk. I now have a van and drive right into it. Good luck with your choice!

Comment

Tzora Easy Travel

I wanted a scooter that was lightweight, stable, and easy to transport. Last fall I purchased the Tzora Easy Travel Elite Scooter. It weighs 54 pounds. The two pieces weigh 28 and 26 pounds and assemble and disassemble very easily. It has a travel bag and is easy to take on a plane. It comes with two batteries. I substituted a lithium battery (7 pounds) for one of the standard batteries. The lithium battery charges in less than an hour. The other takes 3 hours to charge. I can get 4-6 hours out of the lithium battery. Have not tested the other one. It is my back-up and I use it on the rare occasions when the lithium battery is dead. This scooter has three wheels;however it has a guard on the front wheel which makes it less likely to tip. This scooter is more expensive than the standard scooters. When I called to order, I was offered an open box" special" and saved a bit. I am very happy with this scooter. When I am out and about with the scooter, people come and ask me about it. I think I may have "sold" 10 or 15 scooters so far.

Comment

I am interested in a easy-to-transport scooter also. I only really need a scooter for longer outdoor excursions. The SmartScoot looks great to me, but it is so expensive and doesn't qualify as DME with Medicare. The Medicare guidelines state that my need for movement equipment must include not being able to get around inside my house without it. I'm not there yet. But my slow gait and painful walking and small endurance does hinder my ability to go anywhere outside.

The SmartScoot website even admits that they are not covered by insurance, although it seems to me that the product is just the right thing.

Does anyone have any tips?
                              Thank you,
                              Mermaid
                              "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
                              X