voice changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

voice changing

after 20 odd years with MS, I'm beginning to progress again (bummer!). I haven't been able

To walk or use my arms and hands for over 20 years, but now I'm noticing changes in my throat.

My speaking voice is getting weaker and it's hard for people to hear me on the telephone, I have

Sent for an amplifier, that should help a little. Anyone else have this problem? I live with

Other people who have this disease and own one of them can't speak at all anymore, I hope that's

Not where I'm headed. Can anyone offer input?

dysarthrias and Dysphagia,

I decided to research my own question about speaking and swallowing problems and came up with the name for both.

1. dysarthrias is the proper term for speech problems

2.. Dysphagia is the proper term for swallowing disorders

So I am now researching both of them and learning a lot.

Comment

Hi fourtimer - sorry I didn't see your first post here and sorry too you are having speech and swallowing problems.

We have a sub-forum about Dysarthria and Dysphagia you can find here http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...8swallowing%29

You can start by reading the sticky at the top. There are lots of posts of others experiences as well.

Have you met with a speech therapist yet?
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have RRMS, but I believe that laryngitis (lasting close to 4 weeks) was the leading symptom of my most recent MS flare that ended with Optic Neuritis. (I was just officially diagnosed this March, 2015). For me it was like I just could not "project" my voice loud enough and trying was exhausting. I teach and I guess I was able to project enough, but it was just completely exhausting. I just recently posted about my experience with this in the Dysarthria and Dysphagia sub-forum that Seasha mentioned.

I guess since I am currently relapsing-remitting, my issue went away. It sounds like you are in one of the progressive categories? I agree that maybe seeing a speech therapist would be beneficial. Also the voice amplifier that you mentioned sounds great! (That's exactly like what I felt I needed---along with a whole lot of sleep).

RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
        (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
        Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

yes I do have a speech therapist, she is working on getting read the amplifier. She is also given me lots of ideas and therapies on saving my voice. I am so lucky I have all of these services where I live. If any of you recall, I live in a hospital.

Comment

Thank you Seasha and Teekybird for suggesting that sub-forum, I will go there right now!

Comment

I forgot to ask, how do I get to the sub – forum?

Comment

Hi fourtimer,

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

To find this sub forum you can just click on the link Seasha provided and then it will appear, or click on the name of the forum, "Symptoms," and you'll see all the different sub forums. Then just click on the "Dysarthria (speech) and Dysphagia (swallowing)" sub forum to read various threads posted about these symptoms.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                X