Summary: High Dose Biotin for Progressive Forms of Multiple Sclerosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summary: High Dose Biotin for Progressive Forms of Multiple Sclerosis

Last week, I was in the MSWorld chatroom and the topic of Biotin came up. A number of chatters had not heard of Biotin, but were interested in learning more. This post is designed to summarize what I know about Biotin and answer some of the more frequently asked questions. I have not been involved in the Biotin trials, have no relationship with any of the trial participants, companies and claim no medical (or any other) expertise.

Is the drug approved?
    No, high-dose Biotin is NOT approved and may not be approved until 2017. There are risks taking any chemical up to and including death. You should consult your neurologist PRIOR to starting any medication, supplement, treatment of therapy.

What is Biotin?

Biotin is water-soluble member of the B-complex group of vitamins. Biotin is also known as Vitamin B7 or Vitamin H or coenzyme R or MD1003. MD1003 may potentially lead to a therapy for progressive forms of Multiple Sclerosis to improve disability and slow progression.
    Biotin is an important component of enzymes in the body that break down proteins, fats and carbohydrates for energy use. Biotin is necessary for cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids. Biotin assists in various metabolic reactions involving the transfer of carbon dioxide.

Biotin is a co-enzyme for several carboxylases, one of which is thought to have a key role in myelin synthesis. Thus, it could potentially alleviate MS symptoms in two ways: by increasing ATP levels and reversing the “virtual hypoxia” found in MS muscles; and by promoting myelin repair via fatty acid synthesis.

High-Dose Biotin Hoopla

So what's the hoopla about? At the 2015 American Academy of Neurology meeting, the Phase III positive results of High Doses of Biotin were presented by Ayman Tourbah, MD, PhD. In the trials, patients with progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) showed improvements during treatment with a high dose of biotin (MD1003). The Clinical Trials notices can be found here: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/resul...&Search=Search

What were the trial results?
    • After 12 months of treatment, the average clinical global impression score was 4.05 in the biotin group versus 4.62 in the placebo group, and the corresponding subject global impression scores were 4.27 versus 4.76, with both differences being statistically significant.
    • The primary endpoint was either improvement on the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS), defined as a 1-point improvement for patients with a baseline score of 4.5 to 5.5 or of 0.5 points for patients with a score of 6 or 7, or at least a 20% improvement on the timed 25-metre walk (TW25).
    • The proportion with this outcome at 9 months, and confirmed at 12 months, was 12.62% in the 103 patients in the biotin group versus 0.0% of the 51 in the placebo group. More patients met the primary endpoint with the EDSS than the TW25, Tourbah noted.
    • Patients taking biotin improved on the EDSS by 3 months and remained improved for the duration of the study, whereas the placebo group had worse scores than at baseline except for a slight improvement at month 3, which Tourbah attributed to the placebo effect.
    • The relapse rate was 3.9% in the biotin group, compared with 7.8% among patients taking placebo. However, among patients who underwent magnetic resonance imaging, rates of new and enlarging T2 lesions were higher in the biotin group than the placebo group (23.4 vs 13.0% and 8.5 vs 0.0%, respectively), although this was not significant.

What about side effects? MD1003 was well tolerated. The overall incidence of adverse events was similar across the two groups.
    • Adverse effects were similar in the two groups. Five patients in the biotin group had apparent hypothyroidism by the end of the study, but Tourbah said this was a consequence of high plasma biotin levels interfering with immunoassays, producing misleading test results.
    • High-dose Biotin is potentially teratogenic - ie could be harmful to an unborn embryo/fetus, so it should not be taken by any women planning on having children or pregnant.
    • High-dose Biotin interferes with over 100 types of lab tests that use biotinylated assays/antigens. In the trial this resulted in five patients showing up as being hyperthyroid even though they weren't (and thyroid levels weren't one of the tests being given to all trial participants, which means more may have had false indications if they'd have been tested).
    • One trial subject went as far as having their thyroid removed, even though it turned out later the lab test was false. Other examples of readings that are messed up are some to detect cancer, to detect pregnancy, heart infact diagnosis, hormones.

Is Biotin safe for pregnant women and unborn children?
    There is no guarantee that high-dose Biotin is safe for anyone. The FDA has not approved the medication and it may well be teratogenic. Women pregnant or considering becoming pregnant should always consult with a physician prior to starting any medication or supplement.

How does the drug work?
    Overall, high doses of Biotin, could target the main metabolic processes related to progressive MS by:
    • activating the Krebs cycle in demyelinated axons to increase energy production;
    • activating the Krebs cycle in oligodendrocytes to increase the production of citrate required for lipids synthesis and;
    • activating ACC1 and ACC2, the rate-limiting enzymes in the synthesis of long chain fatty acids required for myelin synthesis

Sources of Biotin
    Biotin is natural substance normally consumed as part of your nutritional diet. Biotin deficiency is rare because, in general, intestinal bacteria produce biotin in excess of the body's daily requirements. Foods with high levels of biotin include: peanuts, almonds, sweet potato, eggs, onions, oats, tomatoes, carrots, walnuts and salmon, soybeans, mushrooms, and pumpkin and sunflower seeds. In Western societies the daily Biotin intake range is estimated between 35-70 micrograms (mcg).

Biotin is currently available as an over-the-counter supplement sometimes used for diabetics, skin, brittle nails, hair health and a number of other conditions. Current supplements are limited to 10,000 mcg or 10 mg. The current supplements have fillers often in excess of the Biotin amount. If you are taking 30 pills/day you are getting a significant amount of fillers. Note: significant care needs to be taken while sourcing Biotin. Many sources are approved for veterinary uses, but not deemed safe for human consumption.

Is Biotin new? Who makes Biotin?
    Biotin is naturally occurring and certainly not new. The ultra-high dose in the trial is many, many times over the recommended daily intake is new. Because of the high dose pharmaceutical grade Biotin is required for purity.

MedDay, a biotechnology company and DSM Nutritional Products have entered into a partnership to manufacture of pharmaceutical grade D-Biotin.

What dose was tested?

MedDay trials tested between 100-600 mg doses. The final Phase 3 trial dose was 300 mg administered in 100 mg does three times/day (100 mg TID).

If the drug is not approved how are people already taking it?

Since Biotin is available OTC, some MS patients have taken it upon themselves to start taking it. Biotin is also available in bulk powder form and patients are individually measuring their doses. Compounding pharmacies can also make Biotin available in higher doses, but require a prescription. Patients should be cautious before starting any supplementation as contents are not regulated like FDA-approved medications.

What will Biotin cost?

There's no telling what the final market price for high-dose Biotin would be. You can currently take 300 mg of over-the-counter Biotin for about $2.50/day. I would imagine that MedDay will price high-dose Biotin to maximize profits. One problem for Med Day is compounding pharmacies will easily be able to reproduce 100mg doses of high-grade Biotin for a few dollars/day.
    There is also no way to know what, if any, copay assistance programs may be available.

Sources
    Effect of MD1003 (High Doses of Biotin) in Progressive Multiple Sclerosis
    http://sullivanweb.me/webinars/MedDa...28%201443.flv/
    High doses of biotin in chronic progressive multiple sclerosis: A pilot study http://www.msard-journal.com/article...006-1/fulltext
    Cerebrospinal fluid levels of biotin in various neurological disorders. - PubMed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10577274
    Biotin benefits ‘clinically relevant’ in progressive multiple sclerosis
    http://www.medwirenews.com/44/106327...sclerosis.html
    Barts MS Blog
    http://multiple-sclerosis-research.b...n-results.html
    http://multiple-sclerosis-research.b...otin-time.html
    http://multiple-sclerosis-research.b...tin-story.html
    Biotin
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-su...t-guide-biotin
    High Doses of Biotin Improve Symptoms of Progressive MS
    http://www.healthline.com/health-new...sive-ms-052215

Thank you

Marco,

Thank you so much for doing what I have been wanting to do.

Thankfully your brain/body will still let you do this for yourself and us.

This is what I needed.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Wow- Thank you Marco! Very thorough summarization !
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes, once again, thank you Marco. I'm seeing my neurologist on Thursday and am going to ask her about Biotin.

Comment

I am glad to see your post, Marco. I wonder why a patient, such as yourself, must do all of this research and we hear nothing from the NMSS about this? Curiouser and curiouser !
          I will be seeing my neurologist, next week, and this will be the top topic on my list. I already use a comp;ounding pharmacy for my LDN prescription. What's another couple of hundred dollars out of my pocket? If only it truly works well! One can hope!

Comment

While the study data seems to keep creeping in, does anyone know the risks involved in this treatment? What are the known negative side effects? Where are testimonials from the patients that participated in these studies? If this is such a major development, where are the major medical news stories? Something doesn't seem right!

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
              1. I am glad to see your post, Marco. I wonder why a patient, such as yourself, must do all of this research and we hear nothing from the NMSS about this?
              2. While the study data seems to keep creeping in, does anyone know the risks involved in this treatment? What are the known negative side effects?
              3. Where are testimonials from the patients that participated in these studies?
              4. If this is such a major development, where are the major medical news stories?
              1. I found this on the NMSS website:"Biotin for progressive MS: In a clinical trial in France, 154 people with primary- or secondary-progressive MS were given experimental MD1003 (concentrated biotin, a B vitamin), or placebo, for 48 weeks. The results suggested that 12.6% of those given MD1003 showed improvement in disability (using either the EDSS scale that measures disability progression, or improvement in a timed walk), versus none of those on placebo, and there were no serious safety issues reported. More research is needed to determine who might benefit from this approach. MedDay Pharma states that another trial is underway with results expected later this year. (Abstract PL2.002)"
              2. The results presented at AAN were only preliminary. The studies are being conducted in France with an estimated completion date of January 2016. I have seen anecdotal information to include a variety of side effects, but I want to refrain from posting unsubstantiated information. The full prescribing information will need to be negotiated with the FDA/EMEA.
              3. The trials haven't been that large and conducted in France. There are MS patients that have taken upon themselves to start the treatment. I would work with your neurologist to discuss the early trial information and how it may apply to you.
              4. For progressive MS patients this could potentially be huge news. News sources may consider it premature to cover the information. So often medications in trials fail to meet their objectives.

Like with all of our treatments, individual results will vary. Some patients will benefit, others will not and a third group will do worse. That's just the nature of how our bodies respond to treatment. If anyone has a Biotin deficiency (rare) this treatment may provide miraculous results. For others, any EDSS improvement or a delay in progression is enough reason to be excited. I just hope the treatment makes it to market and helps progressive patients fight this disease better than they can without.

Comment

Those are very dramatic results, and I keep waiting on my FB groups and here for the question to be asked so I guess the task falls to myself: if this supplement is so statistically significant in SPMS could it knock RRMS out of the park?

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
                  if this supplement is so statistically significant in SPMS could it knock RRMS out of the park?
                  I think it remains to be seen how significant it is that (only) 12.6% of subjects showed improvement in disability. Chance alone -- like a coin flip -- would be 50/50. This is definitely a case where more studies are needed.

If only 1 in 8 people with progressive MS showed improvement, there's no indication right now that MD1003 will have much effect on RRMS, let alone knocking anything out of the park. Might be great if you're that 1 person in 8, not at all if you're one of the other 7.

Comment

My feelings also, Marco. Good, solid reasoning. I hope this is the answer to my prayers ! Good luck to all !

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
                      Yes, once again, thank you Marco. I'm seeing my neurologist on Thursday and am going to ask her about Biotin.
                      I was wondering if you asked your neuro about Biotin and what she thought about it.
                      DXed MS 11/2005, SX started 1986. SX worsened 2003. Primary Progressive/Malignant MS. Copaxone til 06/06, Betaseron til 01/08, Novantrone til 11/07, Tysabri til 01/11 33 doses. Tecfidera 04/16-present. JCV+.

To God be the Glory!

Comment

Thanks for your work on that Marco!

I am going to start Biotin on neuro's recommendation. He is using it with patients at another hospital he works at and also does research at. I was DX in 1995 with RRMS and possibly entering the SPMS phase.

I am still awaiting my shipment of Biotin. I opted to buy direct from a bulk pharmacy and measure the 100 mg x3/day because of cost issues.

I will let you know how it goes!

Comment

Marco...THANK YOU!!!

Always thorough and informative! Appreciate you sharing! fed

Comment

roadz,

I did ask my neurologist, and at first she said, "Biotin, sure". Then I told her how much I needed to take daily and that gave her pause... She didn't seem aware of the research, which is very unusual. She is a treasure in the outback of Montana, and I trust her implicitly. I decided to hold off and keep investigating....

When I got home, I read again the research Marco found, and decided to hold off. A 10% success rate just isn't enough for me to take the risk. I did join a FaceBook group (closed so you need to ask to join) called Biotin for Progressive MS. I read the new posts daily, and nothing I've read leads me to
                            want to take this risk. Some of the side effects are downright scary and the success rate appears to be low.

I had ordered some Biotin and am taking 2 pills a day rather than the 30 required, mainly since it's suppose to help with nails. I'm going to hope the drug that has shown much better success in remyalination in the 1st trial than Biotin makes it to production. With luck, I'll still be around and can give it a try.

Comment

My neuro wrote a prescription for the compound pharmacy to take 300mg a day. Absolutely no side effects. In fact, currently, there is no data showing that high doses of Biotin are unsafe. So far, I've only been on it about a month and a half, so I don't notice anything yet, but studies have said that trial patient started showing improvements between 3 and 9 months, so I'm hoping for the best. The downfall? Very expensive. Insurance will not cover because a. it's a supplement and b. it's not available in the US as a treatment for MS. If you notice, in a drugstore, a good brand of Biotin can go for $23 a bottle. In order to get the recommended dose, you'd have to take a bottle a day (yuck).

Comment

Working...
                              X