Plegridy Versus Rebif?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plegridy Versus Rebif?

Greetings, if you have changed from Rebif to Plegridy, I would greatly appreciate your feedback. I welcome thoughts from all others as well. Sincere thanks just for reading my post below.

I have been on Rebif since May 2010. I'm considering switching to Plegridy. I was terrified of needles at first, but that has improved considerably. I have done well in many ways on Rebif. My last two annual MRI's have been free of new lesions. I've had approximately 3 or so new lesions since I was Dx'd. I do not have any disability or functional limitations. I feel extremely lucky. Here are the reasons I am considering the switch:

1. Flu-like symptoms, including aches/pains, headache, fatigue, occasional low-grade temps.

2. Injection site reactions. These are mostly tolerable but in a couple of spots on both thighs I've developed hard spots under the skin.

3. Reducing the frequency of dosing. Even if 1 and 2 above remain the same with Plegridy as with Rebif, the reduced frequency of dosing could mean I spend less time encumbered by the side effects.

I am working full time and then some. The side effects often knock the wind out of me. Rebif side effects are worse when I take the shot in abdomen. For this reason, I do that on Friday night so that I can use my weekend for recovery. I must tolerate my symptoms and play through the pain on the job.

If I could reduce the number of times per month that I suffer the side effects, this could improve my quality of life at home and at work. It would be nice to travel without taking my shots along for the ride. On the other hand, I feel lucky that my MS is under control for the time being. Needless to say, I would not want worse symptoms or MS progression due to switching. I'm leaning towards changing to Plegridy. Yet, part of me worries it's a mistake to change now.

Questions:

Have any of you made the switch from Rebif to Plegridy?
    If so, how do the side effects compare for you?
    How does Biogen support compare to that of EMD Serono/MS Lifelines?
    Do you have any other advice for me?

Thanks again for reading!
    1st Symptoms: September 2006
    Dx'd: RRMS April 21, 2010
    Started Rebif May 2010

Hello.

I did did make the switch from Rebif to Plegridy this past January. I have been tolerating it very well. I do have the same side effects that I had with the Rebif however I only have them every two weeks. Which for me is a huge benefit.

I did not realize how bad I was feeling all the time when I was on Rebif until I switched. Now I only feel bad for about two days after injecting and then I feel great for the next two weeks. My biggest problem is that I get terrible headaches from the Plegridy. I did get them also from the Rebif but I found I was able to treat them easier when on Rebif. We are still working on trying to figure out what works for me to control them, but we are getting there.

I have a follow up appointment next week and I am hoping there are no changes in my MRI since switching. I like you have been symptom free for the past 17 years with no changes in MRI for many years.
    Wendy

Comment

Any advice?

Originally posted by holliedog View Post
      Hello.

I did did make the switch from Rebif to Plegridy this past January. I have been tolerating it very well. I do have the same side effects that I had with the Rebif however I only have them every two weeks. Which for me is a huge benefit.

I did not realize how bad I was feeling all the time when I was on Rebif until I switched. Now I only feel bad for about two days after injecting and then I feel great for the next two weeks. My biggest problem is that I get terrible headaches from the Plegridy. I did get them also from the Rebif but I found I was able to treat them easier when on Rebif. We are still working on trying to figure out what works for me to control them, but we are getting there.

I have a follow up appointment next week and I am hoping there are no changes in my MRI since switching. I like you have been symptom free for the past 17 years with no changes in MRI for many years.
      HI I hope I am responding to this the right way, I am about to start Plegridy having never been on any Ms drug. Do you have suggestions to help curb side effects and are you still on it and does it get better? Thank you

Comment

Started Plegridy

Originally posted by Palzon View Post
        Greetings, if you have changed from Rebif to Plegridy, I would greatly appreciate your feedback. I welcome thoughts from all others as well. Sincere thanks just for reading my post below.

I have been on Rebif since May 2010. I'm considering switching to Plegridy. I was terrified of needles at first, but that has improved considerably. I have done well in many ways on Rebif. My last two annual MRI's have been free of new lesions. I've had approximately 3 or so new lesions since I was Dx'd. I do not have any disability or functional limitations. I feel extremely lucky. Here are the reasons I am considering the switch:

1. Flu-like symptoms, including aches/pains, headache, fatigue, occasional low-grade temps.

2. Injection site reactions. These are mostly tolerable but in a couple of spots on both thighs I've developed hard spots under the skin.

3. Reducing the frequency of dosing. Even if 1 and 2 above remain the same with Plegridy as with Rebif, the reduced frequency of dosing could mean I spend less time encumbered by the side effects.

I am working full time and then some. The side effects often knock the wind out of me. Rebif side effects are worse when I take the shot in abdomen. For this reason, I do that on Friday night so that I can use my weekend for recovery. I must tolerate my symptoms and play through the pain on the job.

If I could reduce the number of times per month that I suffer the side effects, this could improve my quality of life at home and at work. It would be nice to travel without taking my shots along for the ride. On the other hand, I feel lucky that my MS is under control for the time being. Needless to say, I would not want worse symptoms or MS progression due to switching. I'm leaning towards changing to Plegridy. Yet, part of me worries it's a mistake to change now.

Questions:

Have any of you made the switch from Rebif to Plegridy?
        If so, how do the side effects compare for you?
        How does Biogen support compare to that of EMD Serono/MS Lifelines?
        Do you have any other advice for me?

Thanks again for reading!
        Hoping you get this response. I just started Plegridy, first shot no side effects, second shot I fell into major chills and sweats, like big time no matter how many precautions or OTCs or water I drank. Then massive head to back aches, I was down the majority of fourth of July weekend, today im ok. Shot #3? The full dose, let's just say I'm getting mentally prepared, but if I had to feel like this every day or every other day on three shots per week, I'm not sure I could handle that, TBD!

Comment

Yes I am still taking Plegridy and I am still happy with it. I do still suffer from the headaches but after much trial and error we have found that if I pre medicate with prescription strength Aleve about an hour prior to injecting and then every 12 hours for he next two days I do not get a headache. My problem is that I forget to take it because I do not feel bad, then suddenly I feel the headache start quite quickly, then I have to play catch up. So I do need to take the Aleve no matter how good I feel.

Last night was the first time since I started Plegridy that I had an issue with body aches and chills. I used to get that all the time with the Rebif but this was the 1st with the Plegridy. I think it may have been because we were at a picnic all day yesterday and I may have just been dehydrated and didn't drink enough water. I really do notice a big difference if I force myself to be well hydrated on injection day. I took the Aleve as soon as I woke up and was feeling considerably better soon after.

My last MRI was great and I have not had any changes. So I can only assume it must be working!

I wish you luck and I hope that you can tolerate the Plegridy as well as I have. I think you just need to try different NSAID's etc. until you find what works best for you. I know it is frustrating. I also think it is very important to hydrate yourself very well.

For or me even if I do feel bad for a day or two at least I get the next 12 days off and feel great. Rather than feeling this bad all the time with not time to recover.

I I hope I was able to help.

Best wishes,
          Wendy
          Wendy

Comment

Working...
          X