Ampyra and duration of side effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra and duration of side effects

Started taking Ampyra, the walking pill, 2 x daily 12 hours apart, a week ago. Having severe dizziness, insomnia, shortness of breath, tingling in extremities plus face which happens after taking 2nd dose. Does anyone know approximately how long the side effects last? I've read that it can take up to four to six weeks before noticing improvement in walking. Have had drop on my right side for a couple of years, progressively worsening over time. Have had rrms for 28 years which think it has gone to spms over the last 2. Have tried Tysabri, Copaxone, Avonex and Tecfidera but had extreme side effects which did not go away after at least 9 mos. Would appreciate any information you can give me.
    "I am acting like I am okay. Please don't interrupt my performance."

Hi crzynana,

One of the serious side effects of Ampyra are shortness of breath and trouble breathing
    because of an alleregic reaction according to https://ampyra.com/faq/index/before1

You should stop taking it and call your prescribing doctor.I'm sorry this is happening to you I tried Ampyra for about 3-4 months. Didn't have any side effects, but it didn't help my walking at all.

Please call your Dr.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I started Ampyra over 3 years ago. I took it only once a day for first two -three weeks to adjust to it. Don't really remember any major side effects starting out and don't have any now, it has helped me a lot. Recently thought it wasn't but when I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs after coming off it for two days, Im back on it
      You should talk to your doctor about those side effects. Especially shortness of breath.
      Hope side effects calm down and it helps you

Comment

Down to one Ampyra pill

I'm new on this forum and am not very familiar with it yet but have gotten some really good information. Because of dizziness, tingling and shortness of breath a couple of days, dr took me down from 2 pills of Ampyra to 1. Wasn't dizzy today but after several hours past the time I normally took the 1st pill, the hyper-extension in my knee was a lot worse. Does anybody know about the best brace to get for this?
        "I am acting like I am okay. Please don't interrupt my performance."

Comment

Working...
        X