Anyone else with this symptom? Shooting pains from trapezius into face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else with this symptom? Shooting pains from trapezius into face

Hi everyone, I haven't received my official dx yet, because my doctor wanted to exclude some other diseases first (all have been negative), but he strongly feels I have MS based on my exam and MRIs.

I have a symptom, which is my very least favorite, and I was wondering if anyone else has anything similar.

I find this symptom very, very alienating, because I don't know anyone with anything like it, and because it just feels so terrible.

Anyway, my neuro says I have spasticity. It is mostly my right side, but I do have it somewhat on the left as well. My upper back, neck, arm, and trapezius are rock hard. You can visibly see and feel the muscle, as it is just completely tensed and does not go down. It is NOT the same as tension or a muscle knot and does not go away with relaxation. It is complete rigidity of my muscles.

But the worst part is if anything touches that area for any period of time - even something pretty light - it sets off excruciating shooting pains that move from my trapezius area into my face. I can't even carry a purse on my shoulder anymore, and I can't carry a shopping basket because it "pulls" on that muscle and sets the pain off.

The shooting pains that go up my back, the side of my neck, and into my face are so debilitating that I am completely incapacitated when this happens. And it has suddenly started to happen super frequently.

The spasticity is bad enough on its own and makes me ache, but this nerve pain is terrible.

Anyone else?

HHi maymiecat,

Welcome to MSWorld, but I'm sorry why you are here.

Originally posted by maymiecat View Post
    Anyway, my neuro says I have spasticity. It is mostly my right side, but I do have it somewhat on the left as well. My upper back, neck, arm, and trapezius are rock hard. You can visibly see and feel the muscle, as it is just completely tensed and does not go down. It is NOT the same as tension or a muscle knot and does not go away with relaxation. It is complete rigidity of my muscles.
    Sorry to hear about your spasticity. It sure doesn't sound very pleasant. Spasticity is a common symptom in MS. Since you didn't mention it already, are you taking any medication for it, such as Baclofen? (You don't need an MS diagnosis for symptom management medications.). Here's some information about spasticity:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003297.htm

Originally posted by maymiecat View Post
    But the worst part is if anything touches that area for any period of time - even something pretty light - it sets off excruciating shooting pains that move from my trapezius area into my face. I can't even carry a purse on my shoulder anymore, and I can't carry a shopping basket because it "pulls" on that muscle and sets the pain off.

The shooting pains that go up my back, the side of my neck, and into my face are so debilitating that I am completely incapacitated when this happens. And it has suddenly started to happen super frequently.
    Ouch, that sounds awful! Have you mentioned this to your neurologist? It sounds like it could be allodynia, which is a painful response to a stimuli that shouldn't produce pain, like touch. Here's a link where allodynia is discussed: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...3106-allodynia

Please keep us updated. Best of luck and I hope you find relief.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hey there! Have you ever had a "normal" X-ray of your shoulders?
      The part where you mentioned carrying your purse is what jumped out at me.
      When I brought similar issues (similar to you- and BAAAD!) to my PCP's attention, after I had made all the changes I could think of...I quit a purse and went to a backpack, I quit the backpack and went to a "hold by the handle" type bag, I eventually started using a wheelie cart that I still use for SHORT trips because longer trips create the same PAIN and then no function issue- I found out my bones "hooked" (so says the Orthopedic) in the wrong direction!
      I opted for not carrying a bag or twisting my arms to pull the wheelie rather than surgery to cut off the "hooks".
      It might be something to ask about?

Comment

Some of the same symptoms

My trapezius muscles are extremely tense and never relax. I get botox to ease the discomfort.
        I also get shooting pains in my face, though I doesn't travel from my neck/shoulders. I was told the pain in my face is trigeminal neuralgia. I've not found a solution for this pain.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X