Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new nero, Just a story i guess..

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with MS little over 2 years ago and have been suspected of having MS since 1991.

The nero I had from the VA moved on to someplace else and i was given a new nero. This guy, I am not particularity happy with, but i don't know him well enough to form a solid opinion, its mostly gut feeling.

As with any new Dr we went through all the initial Dr - Patient formalities and that's where i did nt care for some of the things he said. Things like, " the understanding is you MAY have MS" as i sit there thinking, i been on copaxone for 2 and a half years... i would think its more then MAY have ms...

But introductions aside i told him for the past 6 months i been having a lot of pain issues and excessive shooting pain numbness mostly on my right side of my body causing me to even have to walk with a cane. That i had just been to ER due to the massive amount of pain and they of course where glad to pump me full of morphine and steroids.

He mentioned that he does not believe that all of this is ms related. Not only was i blessed with MS but i also have some major arthritis in my neck that could be contributing to a lot of the issues. he also mentioned that in the same area i have these issues I also have signs of demyelination.

So to me this was a positive. he showed me on my MRI how my spinal column looked like an accordion at three disks. I find that a new Dr looking beyond the MS to find causes for at least some of my symptoms a genuinely good thing.

They have me scheduled for a EMG to test for nerv damage. normally these would not be that big a deal, but having MS and neck issues with numbing and tingling basicly everywhere even up into my face... is going to make this a long and pain filled day.

I have never had done before but i imaging its not very comfortable to be stuck all over the place in your muscles with needles and electrical impulses shot through you.

Its through the VA hospital system so it will take months of course and no real change in meds to aid with the pain that's causing me lost time at work.

anyway, wish me luck.

The new neuro

Originally posted by JamesO View Post
    Hi all,

I was diagnosed with MS little over 2 years ago and have been suspected of having MS since 1991.

The nero I had from the VA moved on to someplace else and i was given a new nero. This guy, I am not particularity happy with, but i don't know him well enough to form a solid opinion, its mostly gut feeling.

As with any new Dr we went through all the initial Dr - Patient formalities and that's where i did nt care for some of the things he said. Things like, " the understanding is you MAY have MS" as i sit there thinking, i been on copaxone for 2 and a half years... i would think its more then MAY have ms...

But introductions aside i told him for the past 6 months i been having a lot of pain issues and excessive shooting pain numbness mostly on my right side of my body causing me to even have to walk with a cane. That i had just been to ER due to the massive amount of pain and they of course where glad to pump me full of morphine and steroids.

He mentioned that he does not believe that all of this is ms related. Not only was i blessed with MS but i also have some major arthritis in my neck that could be contributing to a lot of the issues. he also mentioned that in the same area i have these issues I also have signs of demyelination.

So to me this was a positive. he showed me on my MRI how my spinal column looked like an accordion at three disks. I find that a new Dr looking beyond the MS to find causes for at least some of my symptoms a genuinely good thing.

They have me scheduled for a EMG to test for nerv damage. normally these would not be that big a deal, but having MS and neck issues with numbing and tingling basicly everywhere even up into my face... is going to make this a long and pain filled day.

I have never had done before but i imaging its not very comfortable to be stuck all over the place in your muscles with needles and electrical impulses shot through you.

Its through the VA hospital system so it will take months of course and no real change in meds to aid with the pain that's causing me lost time at work.

anyway, wish me luck.
    Hi, I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with your neuro. I went through that misdiagnosed period like others. Fired internist and my neuro, found a new internist and a MS neuro, who also has an infusion center in his office area. When I had my EMG, the MS neuro did that test himself right there in that office area. I gather you don't have that kind of set up. All of my doctors are in the hospital so I'm there quite frequently. I walk with a cane too. I have trouble with uneven surfaces, curbs, stairs, you name it. Right now, I am in physical therapy. We are working on my balance, coordination, and stability. I can not fall, I don't want any more broken bones.

I wish you luck on having your EMG testing soon and your doctor confirming whether you have MS. Unfortunately, a lot of us MSers are lonely.

Comment

Ohh, there is no doubt that I have MS. The VA would not be paying for 100% of my Copaxone if there was. The doubt is if all of my symptoms are actually MS related or are they being compounded by the neck issues clearly visible in the MRI.

Both my neck and my MS are service connected issues, so at least I know its not some push to try and eliminate some part of my disability by saying its not service connected. If my neck is part of my issues, then maybe I can be treated for that and eliminate at least some of my pain issues.

Comment

Working...
      X