Chest spasticity? feels like girdle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chest spasticity? feels like girdle question

Hi, im kinda new to this so please bear with me. I have tightness in my chest. It feels like I have a girdle on around my ribs. Its not real bad and I can live with it but just strange. Its not heart or anything like that. just a pressure or tightness in ribs. I am assuming this is from the MS? it starts at collarbone and goes to last ribs on side. Its not painful most of the time but once in a great while it gets really bad cant even breath and goes into jaw. Ive had cardiac test and is not heart or anything like that. Do you think this is from the MS? I cant imagine what else it would be. but haven't seen it listed as a symptom of MS. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. sharon

Hi twasabug,

Sounds like you have had some other causes for what you are experiencing ruled out. My first thought when reading your post was what is referred to as the MS hug. This is a feeling of a tight band wrapped around you. This is due to muscle spasms of the intercostal muscles.

Information about the MS hug:
    http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=381
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

MS Hug: The Basics

MS Hug: The Basics
      • MS hugs are localized pain caused by muscle spasms between your ribs.
      • Symptoms: MS hugs can be frightening, painful experiences that feel like a snake has you in it’s coils and is suffocating you. They are called hugs because it feels like someone is hugging too tight.
      • Causes: There are a number of triggers, including heat, stress, movement and injury that can set off a hug.
      • Treatment: Any treatment to relax and repair the muscles.
      • Prevention: Strengthening the rib muscles can often reduce or eliminate many hugs.

MS Hug Basics: Background
      The chest has 12 rib bones on each side of the body and between each rib are intercostal muscles. The 11 groups of intercostal muscles have both blood vessels and nerves; and are found in the intercostal space between each rib. Intercostal muscles are considered skeletal muscles because they directly attach to and help control a bone (your ribs). During breathing, these muscles tighten and loosen to expand and deflate the chest. These muscles also help keep your ribs in place and form the chest wall

Intercostal pain is known as parietal pain when limited to only the chest wall. In the MS community, parietal pain is often called a “MS Hug.” MS Hug pain may be related to muscles, nerves or ribs. The muscle spasms might be detected by clinical examination, X rays or even via a MRI scan. Severe MS Hugs attacks are often mistaken for a heart attack and end up with the patient, especially first-timers, in the ER.

The pain is often alarming and may mimic heart attack pain. Chest pain should always be taken seriously. If you believe you are having a heart attack, please call 911 for emergency assistance. Symptoms that may suggest a life-threatening emergency include, but are not limited to:
      • Passing out, sudden confusion, dizziness, or change alertness.
      • Chest or rib pain, especially what spreads down the left arm, jaw, shoulder, or back.
      • Severe chest pain when breathing or coughing that prevents you from natural breathing, or where you are coughing up mucus (yellow-greenish in color).
      • Fluttering chest feeling or heart palpitations. Any pressure in the chest or any chest sensation for cramping, tightness or tearing.
      • Severe abdominal pain.

Never take a chance with severe chest pain.If you believe the situation is urgent than treat it as such.
      It’s far better to be in the ER with a MS Hug than having a heart attack that goes untreated.

Spasms normally occur when the muscle is fatigued, stressed, inadequately dehydrated or nourished, or otherwise in distress. For example, you don’t get ‘tennis elbow’ without some type of repetitive motion. For non-emergent pain, please consult your doctor, or neurologist, for pain in the chest region to rule out any problems that require medical attention. Chest movement can increase the pain of the MS Hug, especially quick or big movements like coughing or sneezing.

Some people are more susceptible to MS hugs and include people:
      • that are elderly, due to the development of arthritis and other compounding health problems
      • that do not properly warm up or that overdo their exercises.
      • that frequently wear binding clothing.
      • that participate in sports or athletics. These people have a higher risk of muscle injury, especially those that routinely stress their intercostal muscles and do not get adequate rest and recovery periods.
      • that smoke.
      • with muscle weakness or poor muscle tone, flexibility, or posture.
      • with poor core strength or who are sedentary individuals
      • with the varicella zoster virus that causes chickenpox or shingles

People with chronic MS Hugs are more susceptible to having low oxygen levels, pneumonia, respiratory issues and chronic chest pain.

MS Hug pain is normally described as tearing, sharp, severe, stabbing pains that came on suddenly. These pains may occur with every breath or with movement and are often debilitating. The ribs are often described as sore achy and increases when deep breathing, bending or twisting the upper body. Swelling and tenderness of the ribs may or may not be seen. MS Hugs normally go away after a few seconds, but can last minutes or even longer. In addition to pain, patients may complain of shallow breathing and shortness of breath. A MS Hug may also be accompanied by paresthesia (e.g. pins and needles, numbness, burning hot or cold sensation, etc).

Shallow breathing can be the result of painful breathing. This can lead to abnormal, and unhealthy, low-levels of oxygen in your body. Since normal breathing hurts, your body naturally begins to protect itself, with more shallow breathing to avoid the pain. Your may notice that other activities are also being avoided to prevent an increase in pain.

Be mindful of activities that can stretch or pull your intercostal muscles, especially without properly warming up. This can take the form of forcefully swinging your arms or exaggerated twisting of your upper chest. Direct intercostal injuries can occur from falls or other physical trauma. For MS patients, excessive stress, heat or fatigue, are all conditions that increase the likelihood of experiencing a MS Hug.

Not all chest pain is MS Hug pain. Respiratory and cardiac possibilities have already been addressed, but dehydration, weak muscles, muscle injury, shingles, infection, neuropathy, neuritis, tears, twisting and stretching exercises, sports, arthritis, and many other ailments can result in similar pain to MS Hugs. Tracking your symptoms can play a major role in helping physicians correctly diagnose and treat your specific ailment.

Treating MS Hugs
      Treating a MS Hug is fairly similar to treating fractured ribs.
      • Resting and avoiding any activities that cause the pain to increase.
      • You can ice or a cold compress to the inflamed area for 20 minutes, 3-4 times per day. Wrap any ice bag in a towel so you do not have direct ice to body contact that could result in skin damage.
      • Drink water and ensure proper nutrition. Muscles need water and proper nutrition to function normally.
      • Try changing physical positions (sitting upright, standing, laying down) to see if any position is more comfortable.
      • Try wearing compression clothing may reduce the pain sensation. I often wear gloves on my hands to reduce the tingling, pins & needles sensations. The same can be done around your chest to reduce the sensation of pain.
      • If the hug lasts for some duration, taking NSAIDs may reduce inflammation and provide some level of pain relief. If additional relief is necessary, your doctor may prescribe a medication to reduce spasticity, nerve pain or a relaxant for the muscles.
      • Your doctor can prescribe therapy to help with reducing MS Hugs. Most therapists, whether occupation, physical or speech, can provide a customized MS-hug treatment and prevention plan for you. The goal would be to increase the health of your intercostal muscles and improve your breathing. Never continue any exercises or stretch that causes you pain. Some of the relaxation or light exercises therapists may suggest are:
      • To gently lift your hands above your head (the surrender position during a bank robbery) and take a deep, gentile breath, inflating your lungs as much as possible. Do not go past the point of pain. Repeat this 5 times every 30 minutes. Any other activities that will help you relax are encouraged, provided they do not increase your pain (i.e. watching a comedy might be fun, but when you start to laugh too hard you might increase your pain.
      • To sit or stand with your neck and back straight. Deeply inhale, without causing additional pain and then slowly exhale. Keep your shoulders flat and concentrate on inflating your lungs. Do this 8-10 times/every hour. Alternatively, you can take a deep breath, hold it for 3-5 seconds and then fully exhale. This exercise may be easiest laying on your back, with knees bent and a pillow inserted to help support your head and/or knees.
      • To lie on your back with knees bent. Slowly rotate your knees side to side as far as you can, without causing pain. Repeat this 10 times. Alternatively, you can lay on your affected side and take deep breaths.
      • Place a foam roller under your upper back (to expand your chest), then relax and try to breathe normally. Attempt this for up to 90 seconds, provided no pain is experienced. For even a greater stretch you can lift your arms over your head.

Please consult with your doctor or therapist before starting an exercise program or attempting any exercise you are unfamiliar with.

• Other MS Hug treatments may include: heat/cold treatment, using anti-inflammatory medications, elimination of any activities (besides breathing) that increases your pain, hydration, relaxation, hydration, rib taping, etc. For specific instances treatment may involve antidepressants, antihistamines, antiviral medications, topic analgesics, even corticosteroids for more severe cases.

Complimentary treatments for MS Hugs may include yoga, acupuncture, massage and RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. The elevating part may be difficult.

Preventing MS Hugs
      Preventing MS Hugs is much like the treatment, but far more important. You can reduce your chance of getting a MS Hug, by properly maintaining healthy intercostal muscles. Staying hydrated, managing your stress level, and combing gentle stretching with deep breathing activities can help strengthen the muscles and reduce the opportunity for MS Hugs to recur.

I hope some of the mystery has been removed from the “MS Hug.” MS Hugs can be frightful and painful experiences, but maintaining healthy intercostal muscles can greatly reduce the intensity and frequency of the dreaded MS Hug.

Comment

[QUOTE=twasabug;1479522]Hi, im kinda new to this so please bear with me. I have tightness in my chest. It feels like I have a girdle on around my ribs. Its not real bad and I can live with it but just strange. Its not heart or anything like that. just a pressure or tightness in ribs. I am assuming this is from the MS? it starts at collarbone and goes to last ribs on side. Its not painful most of the time but once in a great while it gets really bad cant even breath and goes into jaw. Ive had cardiac test and is not heart or anything like that. Do you think this is from the MS? I cant imagine what else it would be. but haven't seen it listed as a symptom of MS. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. sharon[/QUO

Marco...I really appreciate all that information! Many thanks! I love having the information without navigating to other links..

Hi twasabug; those exact symptoms, as you describe was a major factor in my MS diagnosis. If it had not been a heart like symptom, I would never have been diagnosed.

Hang in there, it'll improve and often I find the reason is generally, stress! I went to ER many times and said, "I feel pressure and tightness of my chest." And explained, 'it feels more like I just can't suck the air in, as opposed to not being able to breathe."

When I get the painful dose of it, I take whatever I have for pain and start getting ready to call 911 or the ER. Even specializing in cardiac events and care, I can't tell the difference for myself and prefer to have my M.D.'s figure it out.

2 years ago I was having something going on and had no clue. I was at the hospital and went to ER and felt OK so went to pick up my prescriptions and while there it went to my jaw. I went to ER and there had been a change in my EKG warranting an overnight stay. There is no way to know for sure, especially with females--we tend to have milder symptoms of cardiac pain than men...or higher tolerance to pain.

Best of luck to you.. fed

Comment

That 'hey, when did I put on this iron corset that's two sizes too small?' feeling...? It was the Hug in my case, but it wasn't as bad as what you're describing. I was checked for heart problems and given the all-clear. I just had to wait it out for a few weeks until it went away on its own. Hasn't happened since. Wishing you luck in your ms journey!
          MS Diva
          (Well-behaved women rarely make history. Just a heads-up for ya...)

Comment

This sounds like MS Hug to me also, I have been dealing withit for 9 months when it started with me I would say it felt strange but did nothurt. 3 months later hurt like hell alsomost days started out low pain then got worse as the day went on. The more I am on my feet for the day theworse it gets. Laying down helps sitingalso helps. I have been on Flexural for5 months, helps but not a cure. I alsoHave prescription level Alieve (Naproxen), Gabapentin, Hydrocodone, plus take Supplementsincluding Multivitamins, Magnesium, Fish Oil, & Biotin my blood work looks spectacular. No cure buttry and find works for you.

Sean

Comment

You may have a spinal lesion in the thoracic spine. Maybe you should have an MRI done.

Comment

Working...
              X