Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your ms make you tired???

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering if your ms makes you tired?? I can drink a pot of coffee a day and still I'm always tired...
    just wondering if it is from the ms or something else?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi butterflyblissbabe82,

You're not alone, and it is from MS! We even have an entire subforum under Symptoms dedicated to fatigue.

Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms in MS. What you are describing is also known as lassitude, and it is unique to MS.

Here's are some links for you:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...mptoms/Fatigue

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...hp?130-Fatigue

Talk to your neurologist. There are medications that can prove helpful.

Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi butterflyblissbabe82 and welcome! (I like your user name )

What you describe as being always tired sounds like one of the most common MS symptom - fatigue! A link from National MS Society (NMSS) here describes fatigue and also gives suggestions for managing this symptom. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...mptoms/Fatigue

How are your sleeping habits? Fatigue can also be brought on from deprived sleep and having a sleep study done is something that many folks here have had done.

I never know when it will hit me. I can feel pretty OK one day, but the next fatigue hits. I have changed my eating habits for the better and take lots of supplements and I feel this make a huge difference for the most part. You might want to get some blood work done to check your vitamin levels. D3 and B12 especially.

Take care!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Fatigue is definitely a common symptom of MS, but it is neither universal nor exclusive to MS (Lupus & Lyme disease are also common causes).

For my first few years I never experienced it, but in the last year it has shown up and become pretty frequent. I haven't asked for any rx, but coffee sure doesn't do anything for it...
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I used to be able to drink a Cup or two of coffee, an hour before bed and I would have no problem falling asleep! I am now on Provigil for my fatigue that is one of the different prescriptions used to fight this off. Your best bet would be to talk to your neurologist about this. Best of luck to you!
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

My neurologist recommended Provigil. My internal med said NO WAY. My internal med doctor always has my best interest in mind. She does not just prescribe medication unless she thinks it is safe and beneficial. I trust her more than my neuro. Too many scary side effects associated with Provigil. I'd rather be tired.

Comment

Tired? I am

exhausted! Doing anything either physical and/or mental tires me even more.

Dream - what are the side effects did your doctor tell you about Provigil?

Comment

Are you joking? Tired and fatigue are possibly the number 1 complaint of nearly every MSer including me !

Comment

I've only had to deal with fatigue over the last year. Felt lucky not to experience it for many years. I started modafinal in January and was amazed at how much better I felt (for a few months anyway). The last month, the lassitude/fatigue have been worse than ever. I fall asleep anywhere and everywhere. I don't really know what else to do. So sorry that you are dealing with this also.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if I am experiencing fatigue or just real bad ADD- like inability to attend. I can focus but only in certain situations. My eyes can't focus from a processing stand point. It's hard to describe. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

As you can see fatigue and being tired are MS!! But I have to say this. My neuro recently checked my Ferritin (iron) and found it very low. So I am anemic. It's just one more piece of the puzzle for me. I have several autoimmune diseases all fighting my body. I am highly in favor of blood tests. Any tests are a good idea. Keep chipping away at it and get it all sorted out.
                      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I get so tired that I look at the cat sleeping her life away in a basket in front of the fire and wish I could swap places with her. I should have been born a cat.

Comment

What I have found is that it is worst when I'm not forced to be active such as on my days off of work. I work a lot and am generally tired but able to function. On my days off I am like a slug, no ambition, lethargic and depressed. Since I am still able to function well at work I'm not interested in any of the stimulants at this point.

I personally place a higher value on being financially comfortable than having what most people would consider a good quality of life. I am very social at work so that is a plus and it gives me great peace of mind, security and a sense of pride to continue raking in the money. BTW I HATE MS.
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Just a question: when you guys are talking about being tired all the time. Do you mean you feel the need to sleep constantly? Because for me the MS fatigue is more like just not having energy to do things. I just lay in my bed all day with my laptop on my lap, which makes my parents mad because they are like "well if you can sit behind your laptop then you can help us clean the kitchen"

Just wondering how other people are experiencing this fatigue.

Comment

Originally posted by DexterMorgan View Post
                              Just a question: when you guys are talking about being tired all the time. Do you mean you feel the need to sleep constantly? Because for me the MS fatigue is more like just not having energy to do things. I just lay in my bed all day with my laptop on my lap, which makes my parents mad because they are like "well if you can sit behind your laptop then you can help us clean the kitchen"

Just wondering how other people are experiencing this fatigue.
                              I sleep a fair amount when I'm off work like 9-10 hours and will sometimes nap also. Like you I sit in bed with my laptop for a majority of the day when I'm off from work but I am able to get up and do the basic chores that need to be done such as caring for my animals, preparing meals and laundry.
                              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X