Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA ratings for MS (mostly informational)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA ratings for MS (mostly informational)

Greetings,

I am currently a 70% Disabled Vet with MS currently in the fight to try and get to 100%. I am writing this to kind of share my experience and the things i have learned so far. Grant it i am no expert by any means, i am just trying to share my understanding.

If you file for MS and successfully get it classified as SC, the VA base rates MS at 30%.

Most VSO's don't know enough about MS to assist in properly getting you rated. the VA documents i have read state MS ratings are based a lot on the secondary issues and the amount those issues effect your ability to live a normal life.

The initial basic rating for this disease is 30 percent. Secondary disabilities will be rated separately, which may result in a higher combined rating that leads to an increase in disability benefits.
    8018 Multiple sclerosis:

Minimum rating 30
    Note: It is required for the minimum ratings for residuals under diagnostic codes 8000-8025, that there be ascertainable residuals. Determinations as to the presence of residuals not capable of objective verification, i.e., headaches, dizziness, fatigability, must be approached on the basis of the diagnosis recorded; subjective residuals will be accepted when consistent with the disease and not more likely attributable to other disease or no disease. It is of exceptional importance that when ratings in excess of the prescribed minimum ratings are assigned, the diagnostic codes utilized as bases of evaluation be cited, in addition to the codes identifying the diagnoses.

Claiming all your secondary symptoms and having clear and standing medical records to reflect said issues is a key part of getting higher benefits.

Key items that can effect your rating level are things such as:
    • MENTAL- PSYCOLOGICAL, COGNITIVE FUNCTION, sleep disorders
    • Vision issues - blurry or loss of sight
    • partial or totalLoss of use of one or more limbs, include needing to walk with a cane or needing a wheelchair or motorised assistance
    • Numbness and tingling
    • muscle spasms
    • bladder and bowel issues
    • fatigue
    • Pain
    • weakness

I am sure there are more, thats all I can think of for now. From all i have read so far, Claiming all your documented secondaries separately, I believe, is the key to getting properly rated for your disability.

I actually beleive that claiming each symptom of a condition is good for not only MS, but all S/C conditions. For instance I claimed PTSD as well as my heart problems, high BP, IBS, etc as they can be a result of the stress of PTSD. These are actually what is being considered in my appeal that was remanded to the VA for further evaluation.
    Dennis

The soul of a song will lift your spirits.

Comment

You didn't specify when your claim was approved. Whether you have used a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) or actually appealed your claim to the Board of Veterans Appeals. It sounds like you are simply requesting a reevaluation of your current rating. A decent way to prepare for your claim is to review a Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) related to whatever conditions you are claiming. The VA recognizes both primary and secondary conditions. If a condition is determined to be secondary to MS, it could increase your disability percentage for MS (above 30%). For MS, the base form is 21-0960C-9 and you can find it listed here on the VA's website. http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSAT...BQFormName.asp

Because of the way the VA calculates disability percentages it's not easy to obtain a 100% rating. For example, if you are rated at 70% for MS and 30% for another condition you will be rated at 80% and not 100%. There are VA disability calculators online that can help you determine what additional rating(s) are required to get you to 100%.

If you are unable to work, you might check to see if you meet the criteria for Individual Unemployability (IU). If approved, your rating will be increased to 100% based for pay purposes. The primary difference between being rated IU and schedular 100% is your ability to work. While in the IU program you are prohibited from earning any substantial amount of income. For people that are schedular 100% there are no limits to the amount of money they can earn. The IU information can be found here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensat...loyability.asp. If you are unable to work you also should consider filing for SSDI with the Social Security office.

You should immediately start keeping a journal or log of your daily symptoms. This can help you show the VA what daily symptoms you are contending with. If you have pain ensure you are including your pain range from 1-10. If you need help with the Activities of Daily Living you should also document your needs. If you are a post-9/11 veteran you should also check to see if you meet the criteria for the VA Caregiver Benefit program.

Thank you for your service! Never give up. Never give in!

Comment

Working...
      X