Hormones and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hormones and MS

Can anyone tell me if you find that hormone fluctuations can trigger attacks?

And if perimenopause can even have something to do with onset of the disease or have something to do with progression?

I know I'm not diagnosed thus far but what ever is happening to me I feel has something to do with hormones and the menstrual cycle.

Does anyone feel that?

Yes it does. Every month when I have my cycle I have what is called a pseudoexacerbation of my sensory symptoms, meaning numbness, tingling and things like that. No weakness. Weakness is usually the sign of something more serious especially if you are not diagnosed, but it has to be objective weakness, not just subjective weakness. The sensory symptoms are called parasthesias. They don't warrant a call to the neurologist if they come right after a cycle. They also will not last very long.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by shel67 View Post
      Can anyone tell me if you find that hormone fluctuations can trigger attacks?
      Monthly hormone fluctuations aren't known to trigger actual attacks. They are, though, known to cause an increase in symptoms without inflammation, called a false or pseudoexacerbation. Pseudoexacerbations aren't attacks and shouldn't be confused with attacks.

Hormone levels that are known to be involved in true attacks are associated with pregnancy and postpartum. Those changes are different than monthly fluctuations. Just feeling worse because of monthly fluctuations is not necessarily an indication of an attack.

Here's more information from the NMSS:
      http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...-and-Menopause

Comment

Hi shel,

Hormonal fluctuations affect many women with many different health issues and is not seen only in those of us with Multiple Sclerosis. Example: Those with epilepsy tend to have an increase in seizures with hormonal fluctuations.

Personally, I have not experienced a progression of MS due to perimenopause and I do feel better without a monthly cycle. If you feel your symptoms are worse due to hormonal fluctuations, there are birth control pills that will stop your cycle.

This link might help you in understanding what you might be experiencing:
        Last edited by Seasha; 06-05-2015, 05:07 PM. Reason: per poster's request
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Catamenial Epilepsy = Hormoneal Seizures

I had Optic Neuritis (plus many other sx) beginning in my early/mid 20's, for a 5year period of time that coincided with my monthly period. I was dx with CE/Catamenial Epilepsy=Hormone Epilepsy at approximately age 25.

My CE dx/sx's overlapped with my MS sx. Years later I was dx with MS.

Onset of MS is documented in 2% to 5% of Epilepsy/Seizure disorders. Early in life some females are extremely hormone sensitive, sensitive to hormone fluctuations.

Hope this helps and take care

Comment

In my previous post I mistakenly put up the wrong URL. The URL should be removed as it is a blog.

The link I wanted to put up is:
            http://www.project-aware.org/Experience/symptoms.shtml
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Body Temperature Changes

Keep in mind, too, that a woman's body temperature varies at different times in the menstrual cycle. If, like many MSers, you are heat intolerant, this may also be the reason you experience heightened symptoms. The temperature differences are, of course, caused by the hormones - but it's not necessarily the hormones themselves causing the problem.

Comment

Very helpful for me. Wow, I needed this site a long time ago. My husband and a friend at work notice changes in me every month at PMS time. I no I don't feel very good for about a wk. and the temperature thing makes good sense to me. I seem to have hot nights around my cycle and flashes also. I'm sure feeling more understood here. When I mention anything like this to Dr.s I feel I just get ignored. T.

Comment

Working...
                X